Petsitting troubles

DiscotheCockatiel

Jul 1, 2021
Parrots
2 male cockatiels
It seems that whenever I go out of town I get a text or call saying the birds got out and won’t go back in. I have two male cockatiels and when the petsitter puts there food bowls in they keep slipping out. I always have them come over and meet, hold, and hang out with my tiels and even if they seem super comfortable with the person, fly to them for treats, etc they always have a hard time getting them back into the cage even with treats when I’m gone and often have to leave them out unsupervised until they go back in. My room is pretty bird proofed but they will destroy my things if left unwatched. Any tips?

OP
DiscotheCockatiel

DiscotheCockatiel

Jul 1, 2021
Parrots
2 male cockatiels
I will add they have a huge flight cage filled with natural wood perches, natural rope perches, and tons of shredding and foraging toys. They are used to being let out for 2-7 hours during the day as well!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hmm. Some sort of really good bribe/treat inside the cage to lure them back in?

Any way you could get a gravity feeder so your bird sitter wouldn’t have to open the doors as often? Sounds like he needs to minimize opening cage doors and hatches.

I’ve been known to pour pellets or seed through the cage wires if someone was in a bad mood.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Yeah, a feeding cup that’s designed so it can be filled from outside the cage would be ideal… Our cages have the doors that swing open with the feed cups on them.

When bird sitting for friends I clip millet on the side of the cage opposite the bowls or cage door so I can slip them out and wash and refill them without any escape attempts.

Edited to add: this is for just weekend trips. If I or a friend were to be out of town longer, I’d recommend a boarding situation where staff is with them throughout the day if possible; or have the sitter stay over at your place and allow them to have their usual “out” time.

OP
DiscotheCockatiel

DiscotheCockatiel

Jul 1, 2021
Parrots
2 male cockatiels
Hmm. Some sort of really good bribe/treat inside the cage to lure them back in?

Any way you could get a gravity feeder so your bird sitter wouldn’t have to open the doors as often? Sounds like he needs to minimize opening cage doors and hatches.

I’ve been known to pour pellets or seed through the cage wires if someone was in a bad mood.
I have millet which they go nuts for and it didn’t work! The cage I have has smaller feeding doors they don’t swing the bowls out tho. I think it would definitely be better to use those still! And if he clips millet to the other side while feeding that would probably help! Normally I’m only gone 1 full day and 2 half days so I just leave pellets for them it’s just chop snd water they get!

OP
DiscotheCockatiel

DiscotheCockatiel

Jul 1, 2021
Parrots
2 male cockatiels
Yeah, a feeding cup that’s designed so it can be filled from outside the cage would be ideal… Our cages have the doors that swing open with the feed cups on them.

When bird sitting for friends I clip millet on the side of the cage opposite the bowls or cage door so I can slip them out and wash and refill them without any escape attempts.

Edited to add: this is for just weekend trips. If I or a friend were to be out of town longer, I’d recommend a boarding situation where staff is with them throughout the day if possible; or have the sitter stay over at your place and allow them to have their usual “out” time.
Yes I really wish I had a cage with bowls that swing out! That is such a good idea about clipping Millet to the cage while bowls are filled! Yes normally I’m only gone for one full day and two half days. There Is a bird shop near me that has boarding but I feel like it would stress my birds out and they would likely be in a smaller cage. They are very friendly and affectionate to me and sometimes other people when I’m there or at least tolerate them but it seems when I’m not there they go nuts! Here is there cage now I always make sure to add new new toys before leaving!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 37

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I like your cage setup! It looks fun :)

You could maybe experiment with putting two of the bowls on the door itself, and see if it would be possible to put a towel or something over the top of the opening while you swap bowls or add food/change water?

If it seems like it might work, you could keep their dry food bowls on the sides and the water in the middle, and could maybe even experiment with sneaking an arm in and putting chop in a little owl or plate on the floor just for when you're gone? I'm actually watching a cockatiel right now that likes to forage in the floor so I've experimented with ways to be a bit sneaky in the morning when I don't have time for him to escape on me :)

OP
DiscotheCockatiel

DiscotheCockatiel

Jul 1, 2021
Parrots
2 male cockatiels
I like your cage setup! It looks fun :)

You could maybe experiment with putting two of the bowls on the door itself, and see if it would be possible to put a towel or something over the top of the opening while you swap bowls or add food/change water?

If it seems like it might work, you could keep their dry food bowls on the sides and the water in the middle, and could maybe even experiment with sneaking an arm in and putting chop in a little owl or plate on the floor just for when you're gone? I'm actually watching a cockatiel right now that likes to forage in the floor so I've experimented with ways to be a bit sneaky in the morning when I don't have time for him to escape on me :)
Those are all really really good ideas!! Thank you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts