Photograping interaction and training

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
In another thread, someone just wrote, “
I wish I had photos! It's hard when your hands are full with a perch, target and food! Acccck! Still, progress is progress and worth celebrating!”

I was thinking about that just yesterday in a totally different context: how to show some detail of a part from my car that needs restoration. I've seen YouTube videos where people try and do a presentation one handed, holding the camera with the other.

For some things, standing the camera and leaving video running will work find. For a training session, you will be working in certain area and can choose a single camera angle if you don't have someone to shoot it for you.

For the car part, I was thinking about a head-mounted POV camera. Look in here…look behind that…take this apart, etc. It leaves both hands free and shows what I needed to do. But, I don't think a head-mount would be great for working with the bird unless you always did it from the beginning.

Although I'm planning a vacation in a few months, I sprung for a new camera now as a proud parrent and wanted to capture those precious moments. :)

An example from my first attempt was posted earlier. The action-cam features an ultra wide angle lens, so it captures the entire area and you just point it in the general direction. With some success, I left it running at high resolution and then composed the shot after the fact, cropping out a normal or zoom angle out of the available wide coverage. Starting with higher than HD resolution, the result is still acceptable.

So, not wanting to spring more money for an action-cam and software to go with it, and take up video editing as another hobby? The smartphone as an ever-present video camera doesn't have any kind of tripod mount. So, use rubber bands or something to "perch" it near by. Leave it recording when you are training or playing, just in case something interesting happens.

If you have both a front-facing and a rear-facing camera on the phone (or tablet), find out which one is better. It might be HD in one direction but not the other.

CaitlinBird

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Achilles my blind Cockatiel, she is four years old.

a Moluccan Cockatoo that it's over 30 years old.
Lol. I have my smartphone and a little Canon that records but the tables I have are not the right height to record from. I like the rubber band idea, that's innovative. Ideally I would have a friend help me record, but that would require them being here at 8 or 9am every day.

I'll just find a tripod sometime, then you guys can see what's goin' on!

OP
J

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
A smartphone or tiny camera doesn't need a heavy-duty traditonal tripod. A light stand or... a perch?

One band member propped up her phone on the book case shelf. Little dabs of polymer clay can help, if you have any on hand from crafting projects.

OP
J

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
I have a Slik U-212 Deluxe tripod, which I see is still for sale at various places even though it's not listed on Slik's web page. Mine is around 25 years old, and has a cracked leg latch being held together by a cheap C clamp! But the original head was replaced with a Manfroto ball style, long ago.

A true tripod is a formidable presence in a room, though. The legs spread from the very top, so it takes up a lot of space. For example, it is hard to get close to a table, or in tight quarters. That's why something more like a light stand — legs just on the bottom, plain pole otherwise — can be handy for a lightweight video camera or phone. I'm thinking that hanging it on the wall like a picture could be a good idea, too.

Most Reactions