May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
when I had to treat my budgies, my vet had me add to mixed up baby burd formula. Because that has a higher viscosity than water. So less likely to choke. Plus benefits of healthy food plus most baby burd formula have added prebiotic . I went very slow with tge 1ml syringe.

But it was stressful on them so we switched to tge antibiotics mixed in their drinking water. After they improved a little from the meds by mouth.

I very much hope for a speedy recovery.
I'll try that!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I hope helps
BTW I never saw them drink the medicated water. But they did.

Some vets are able to get medicated feed , because budgies and Aviary burds are hard to treat.. but we weren't able to find and

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I hope helps
BTW I never saw them drink the medicated water. But they did.

Some vets are able to get medicated feed , because budgies and Aviary burds are hard to treat.. but we weren't able to find and
I'll ask!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
White millet seed, impregnated with 0.5 mg CTC/g of seed, may be used for budgerigar parakeets and finches only. It should be used for 30 days (Keet Life; Hartz Mountain is the only manufacturer).

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Found this on medicated feed
White millet seed, impregnated with 0.5 mg CTC/g of seed, may be used for budgerigar parakeets and finches only. It should be used for 30 days (Keet Life; Hartz Mountain is the only manufacturer).
I am pretty sure Baytril can go right in the drinking water at a certain concentration the vet can set up. I would feel better if all exposed birds were being treated, since they’re all together. But I may be missing some information. (Regardless of type of bacterial infection, if one bird in a cage is sick then all may have the infection.)

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Well vet Hasn't diagnosed chlamydia. If they had doxycline would be treatment. Baytril won't cure, but can make them seem a little better....but again veterinarian Hasn't determined chlamydia

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I think we should go to a different vet...
Picasso is so, so stressed, and I'm worried she'll pass out or die one day while I give meds. It's a huge hassle, and she's panicking throughout it all. The vet wanted to inject her with Baytril if she won't take it by mouth, which I know can be EXTREMELY risky. Should I find a different vet? This vet is not a CAV, just an exotics vet.

D

Deleted member 42416

I wonder if any CAVs do virtual visits. Would significantly reduce stress of travel and handling to birby…they can’t do a direct physical exam, but would still be able to send an rx in to a local compounding pharmacy.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I wonder if any CAVs do virtual visits. Would significantly reduce stress of travel and handling to birby…they can’t do a direct physical exam, but would still be able to send an rx in to a local compounding pharmacy.
Hmm, I'll see...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m so sorry you are having this trouble and wish I could help.

I think injections are easier to do than giving a tiny bird oral meds. But i also recall putting Baytril in drinking water years ago and that is much less stressful.

Yet we do not know what the vet’s rationale was so it is impossible to draw firm conclusions.

Last edited:
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I’m so sorry you are having this trouble and wish I could help.
I'm only 2 days into her meds too, but she's almost passed out multiple times. She takes about 20 minutes to regain her breath back enough to step up, and I do hold her correctly and VERY loosely. She'll usually start closing her eyes and I assume she's starting to black out after only a little while.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I'm only 2 days into her meds too, but she's almost passed out multiple times. She takes about 20 minutes to regain her breath back enough to step up, and I do hold her correctly and VERY loosely. She'll usually start closing her eyes and I assume she's starting to black out after only a little while.
I don’t know what to say.

I think you need to contact the prescribing veterinarian. If you can’t reach him, another one, or an emergency vet, or university with a teaching hospital. (Or your parents should call.). Do you have an emergency # for that veterinarian and is that ok with your parents?

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I don’t know what to say.

I think you need to contact the prescribing veterinarian. If you can’t reach him, another one, or an emergency vet, or university with a teaching hospital. (Or your parents should call.). Do you have an emergency # for that veterinarian and is that ok with your parents?
I will, but I really DON'T trust him. He's had so many red flags (I brought my birds to him last year), and he isn't even certified. In fact, he's mostly trained in horses.

I'm not sure my dad understands how scary it is to see her almost pass out every time I give her meds. Like, she's stopped breathing from stress before (only for a few seconds, but I almost had a heart attack). Thankfully, my mom is willing to help...

It's just... really rough seeing her like this.

D

Deleted member 42416

Is she eating? Maybe just get a small ball piece of millet spray, soak it with the antibiotic and let her take it that way?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Stormy,
Baytril has a wide action against many types of infections..many vets use it, even avian only vets . There is no way for me to know if it's chlamydia, so I don't want to come across to you as that is the only thing it could be. Lots of different bacteria can cause same symptoms.

But the advice to let your vet know the difficulty in giving the medication is valid. They might want to try something different, or different ways. I had to communicate with my veterinarian when I had issues .

Budgies just are really difficult to treat, they are so tiny and easily stressed

You are doing great

Really sending postive vibes. I so want your baby to recover

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Is she eating? Maybe just get a small ball piece of millet spray, soak it with the antibiotic and let her take it that way?
I'll try to do that, thanks!

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I've decided to at least finish her prescription. Dad came in in a bad mood and shouted at me for 10mins about how 'she's just a bird', and 'we have lives too'. But I do want to try the method Beak-Beak suggested, and see if that works.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I will, but I really DON'T trust him. He's had so many red flags (I brought my birds to him last year), and he isn't even certified. In fact, he's mostly trained in horses.

I'm not sure my dad understands how scary it is to see her almost pass out every time I give her meds. Like, she's stopped breathing from stress before (only for a few seconds, but I almost had a heart attack). Thankfully, my mom is willing to help...

It's just... really rough seeing her like this.
I've decided to at least finish her prescription. Dad came in in a bad mood and shouted at me for 10mins about how 'she's just a bird', and 'we have lives too'. But I do want to try the method Beak-Beak suggested, and see if that works.
I think it’s worth a try. Maybe you ought to take away other food sources?

Most Reactions

Latest posts