HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m glad all the budgies went along to the vet so the vet could see them all.

Did the vet take a sample from Picasso’s beak in order to see which germs are present?

Way to step up, Cassie!

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I’m glad all the budgies went along to the vet so the vet could see them all.

Did the vet take a sample from Picasso’s beak in order to see which germs are present?

Way to step up, Cassie!
They didn’t go with her. The vet didn’t do a physical because he could see she was super stressed and in bad condition l, and didn’t want to make anything worse. He will do a physical if the meds aren’t working...

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
So glad we are on the path to recovery! Did they check for psittacosis?
No, he wanted to have as short of a visit possible, and get her on meds ASAP

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Guys, he will do a full exam if the meds don’t work, but he didn’t want to risk her passing out during the exam.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
aww I'm so happy you were able to get a veterinarian to examine and provide medical help!!!

Well wishes for speedy recovery!

Sounds like she was a champ at the vets office!
Sure was!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Whats the name of the antibiotics?
Yeah! She took them good girl!

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Oh, and I know Baytril can be dangerous long-term. That's why she's only on it for 10 days, to see if it works, but if not, she's going on different meds!

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I glad to read the infection is being treated. THe most important thing is to make sure she gets the full dosage the Vet recommended, which can be challenging.
When Salty gets meds, I have to mix it with baby parrot formula * a very small amount. He gobbles the first beak full or 2

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I glad to read the infection is being treated. THe most important thing is to make sure she gets the full dosage the Vet recommended, which can be challenging.
When Salty gets meds, I have to mix it with baby parrot formula * a very small amount. He gobbles the first beak full or 2
My vet used to recommend buying mixed drink pina colada mix and combining it with that. I didn’t have much use for that so I would buy a bottled smoothie mix and combine the med with that. Which didn’t cover the taste as well but was usually good enough. Also, I would drink the smoothie eventually.

Otherwise, if you must give the med orally via tiny syringe, if you just get it over that wily tongue you’ll get much more medication into the bird.

I really hope this helps and that your problem is resolved.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
She aspirated a bit today. She was also having trouble flying away from me when I was trying to catch her (I put her on the floor, throw a light, breathable jersy over her, pick her up, give her millet, give her meds, then put her on my hand and give more millet).

The syringe tip is SO BIG for such a little bird, it forces her mouth open (which stresses her out even more). Is there any sort of small syringe attachment I can use?

She's fine now, btw. She just got some in her nostrils because I sqirted too hard and it hit her beak. She did get most of the meds, though, and I'm going to be practicing depressing the plunger slowly (with water in it), so that doesn't happen again.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
She aspirated a bit today. She was also having trouble flying away from me when I was trying to catch her (I put her on the floor, throw a light, breathable jersy over her, pick her up, give her millet, give her meds, then put her on my hand and give more millet).

The syringe tip is SO BIG for such a little bird, it forces her mouth open (which stresses her out even more). Is there any sort of small syringe attachment I can use?

She's fine now, btw. She just got some in her nostrils because I sqirted too hard and it hit her beak. She did get most of the meds, though, and I'm going to be practicing depressing the plunger slowly (with water in it), so that doesn't happen again.
I'm not aware of smaller tips for the syringe, also I know the struggle... When we had to medicate Sunny (the little rescued budgie) it was a mess... Just keep training how to slowly press out the med, even just one droplet is huge for the budgie, but I'm not aware of any other way either...

Hasn't the vet took the poop for microbio examination? I cannot imagine if there's a doubt for psittachosis that they would ignore it... Especially if it's also your health in question! (also get better soon!)

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I'm not aware of smaller tips for the syringe, also I know the struggle... When we had to medicate Sunny (the little rescued budgie) it was a mess... Just keep training how to slowly press out the med, even just one droplet is huge for the budgie, but I'm not aware of any other way either...

Hasn't the vet took the poop for microbio examination? I cannot imagine if there's a doubt for psittachosis that they would ignore it... Especially if it's also your health in question! (also get better soon!)
The poop was actually a morning poop, her regular poops are normal!
Budgie+Meds=STRESS

Most Reactions

Latest posts