Picking up greening macaw

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
Picking up green wing macaw

My B&G macaw and cockatoo needs to split up because of his Dander so I am getting another companion for her a green wing macaw that was neglected by the previous owner.it was tame when he bought it but a bit aggressive after 2 months of neglect. I am hoping it will be a good companion for my B&G while I am not home and our cockatoo will be with my older son.
Anyway can I make him tame and loving again
I will put them in separate cage and spend time with them separately until
It get use with me and my B&G Billy.
Is it a good idea ?
Thanks

Last edited:

willist

Sep 5, 2009
Tequesta Fl.
Parrots
CAG - Willis T.
Greenwing - Auggie
Harlequin - Connie
Blue&Gold - Charly
I would find out the sex of both birds before putting them together in the same cage (I know you said separate cages at 1st). If they where to bond you may loose them both as pets. If it were me I'd keep them in separate cages always.

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
Did your blue and gold have a reaction to the dander? I have heard of a possibility of allergies but I thought it was rare. How is his leg? I remember he was favoring it for awhile.

Indroduce your new bird very slow. It is important for him to get use to his surroundings.

Yes, keep them seperate they could seriously injure each other.

Good luck
Post pics :)

OP
B

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
I would find out the sex of both birds before putting them together in the same cage (I know you said separate cages at 1st). If they where to bond you may loose them both as pets. If it were me I'd keep them in separate cages always.

I have no intention of breeding them so I will definately DNA test them but I want them to interact with each other later on so they won't get bored when I am not home.

Thanks

OP
B

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
Did your blue and gold have a reaction to the dander? I have heard of a possibility of allergies but I thought it was rare. How is his leg? I remember he was favoring it for awhile.

Indroduce your new bird very slow. It is important for him to get use to his surroundings.

Yes, keep them seperate they could seriously injure each other.

Good luck
Post pics :)

I started the B&G on antibiotics today he have major diarrhea 2 days ago and loss weight again but eating very well tonight.
And the cockatoo's leg is getting better but not full strength yet it needs more time to heal well and I will do a lot of physical therapy later on:) I m still very afraid of picking him up but he let me pet him and everything.

As far as the green wing it will be inside the house and I have antibiotics just in case he develop a infection during the stressful relocation :)
Thanks

OP
B

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
So I pick him up today
He looks good, fat, talks a little but vicious trying to bite me and the previous owner when we are transferring him.
If I work with him how long before I can tame him so I can handle him again:)
The previous owner claims that it's only been 2 months since last handled.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Well, I wouldn't put to much stock in what the owner claims as far as him not being handled for only two month. Also, you have to realize the trauma that re-homing causes a bird. So I would imagine there would be a certain amount of aggression from him until he gets familiar with you and his new surroundings.

I think I read some where that you only had 3 months into the bird hobby and now have three birds. It seems your jumping in feet first. Good luck.

OP
B

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
Thank you
He let me hand feed him this morning
It's seems impossible yesterday because he tries to take my hands off
I think it will be a short time but I am very cautious. He is extremely large and he can crushed my finger easily.

Yes 3 months with large parrots
But I had lovebirds , cockatiels and parakeets in the past.

Last edited:

Cisco

Oct 15, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, red sided, GW Macaws, Dusky Pionus, Green Quakers, Blue Quakers, CAG's, TAG's, BFA's, RLA's, DYH's, Tiels, Painted Conures, Harlequin Macaw, YNA
I remember when I was first introduced to large parrots.. just ask shreddedoakaviary. I thought I was going to loose every appendage I had (including arms) I was really intimidated. I have learned since that day by my wife that there has to be a flock leader. Be careful not to let one of your large birds take that from you... if they can all see eachother they will learn from eachother. Good luck!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Cisco is right, especially with Macaws. They will try and dominate in a heart beat if they are allowed to. Some times you just have to take the bite and brush it off. It's kind of a hard thing to think about with a BIG BEAKED macaw. But I would rather get bit any day by my Eclectus than by my little Senegal. That little neddle sharp beak can draw blood in a second and will hurt for days. My Sennie has bit my finger all the way to the bone before. Usually with my Eclectus, he will give me a good pressure pinch after a warning pinch. But usually because I'm making him do something that he doesn't want to do like go back in his cage if we are leaving to go some place. He's gotten better about it now though since he found out the pinch wasn't going to save him hahahahaha.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Has it occured to anyone that a macaw losing weight with diarhea should not come in contact with a new macaw or bird until some tests and treatments have been done first?

OP
B

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
The green wing is on quarantine ,
far from any other birds.
Just like I QT my new fish for a while now.
Learn the hard way!

OP
B

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
Cisco is right, especially with Macaws. They will try and dominate in a heart beat if they are allowed to. Some times you just have to take the bite and brush it off. It's kind of a hard thing to think about with a BIG BEAKED macaw. But I would rather get bit any day by my Eclectus than by my little Senegal. That little neddle sharp beak can draw blood in a second and will hurt for days. My Sennie has bit my finger all the way to the bone before. Usually with my Eclectus, he will give me a good pressure pinch after a warning pinch. But usually because I'm making him do something that he doesn't want to do like go back in his cage if we are leaving to go some place. He's gotten better about it now though since he found out the pinch wasn't going to save him hahahahaha.

I got bit by my sweet cockatoo 3 times and 2 of them bruised a bone and I still have a big mark.also it's been 3 weeks and I can't still bend my thumb properly.
He is trying to dominate but I am trying to stand my grounds.
Hopefully it works .

OP
B

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
I remember when I was first introduced to large parrots.. just ask shreddedoakaviary. I thought I was going to loose every appendage I had (including arms) I was really intimidated. I have learned since that day by my wife that there has to be a flock leader. Be careful not to let one of your large birds take that from you... if they can all see eachother they will learn from eachother. Good luck!

Thanks
I hold my grounds and I will tame him.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Hello Bullitr, There are many ways to handle a Macaw without getting bit. Make sure when offering your forearm and not your hand. Make a fist, tuck in your thumb, press your forearm into the lower to mid section of your Macaw and say the words step up. If your Macaw steps up, have a treat ready for him in your other hand like almonds or a favorite snack. Rewarding your Macaw for good behavior is the best way to go. If for some reason, your Macaw gets your finger, do not pull away but rather then press towards the back of the Macaws throat, this does a few things, first it knocks them off balance, second, it also chokes them and they let go pretty quick.
For now, do not allow them onto your shoulder, keeping the Macaw lower then your eyes is best and this shows that you are the alfa in this relationship. You must be the flock leader and never give an inch.
If your Macaw does something or behaves in a bad way, time outs work really great. Place the Macaw back in the cage for no more then 5 min at a time, use the word time out. Let them get the chance to learn these words, they will soon understand them and their meaning. Best of luck to you both. Keep us posted on their progress. Joe

OP
B

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
Hello Bullitr, There are many ways to handle a Macaw without getting bit. Make sure when offering your forearm and not your hand. Make a fist, tuck in your thumb, press your forearm into the lower to mid section of your Macaw and say the words step up. If your Macaw steps up, have a treat ready for him in your other hand like almonds or a favorite snack. Rewarding your Macaw for good behavior is the best way to go. If for some reason, your Macaw gets your finger, do not pull away but rather then press towards the back of the Macaws throat, this does a few things, first it knocks them off balance, second, it also chokes them and they let go pretty quick.
For now, do not allow them onto your shoulder, keeping the Macaw lower then your eyes is best and this shows that you are the alfa in this relationship. You must be the flock leader and never give an inch.
If your Macaw does something or behaves in a bad way, time outs work really great. Place the Macaw back in the cage for no more then 5 min at a time, use the word time out. Let them get the chance to learn these words, they will soon understand them and their meaning. Best of luck to you both. Keep us posted on their progress. Joe
Thank you very much I will try that tomorrow .
He will be in the garage for a 2 week or so.
0a6632e5.jpg

Lawrence

Cisco

Oct 15, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, red sided, GW Macaws, Dusky Pionus, Green Quakers, Blue Quakers, CAG's, TAG's, BFA's, RLA's, DYH's, Tiels, Painted Conures, Harlequin Macaw, YNA
Thanks for posting the close up picture. I am just pointing out a couple things to keep in mind. In general the nares are covered by feathers, at least in green wings, which is different than b&g's who have exposed nares. Green wings without the covered nares are much more suseptable to respiratory problems caused by Cockatoo dander. I would recommend a good air filter when/if they are in the same room. Check to see if he is scratching the nares or if they are just not there naturally. If he is scratching then I would recommend a vet visit.

OP
B

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
Thanks
He step up to my arms but I have to put him down quick because his claws was very sharp
So it's a minor set back but I least I know it can be done:)

The cockatoo are inside the house :) the green wing are in the garage 35 feet apart

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
That's huge, great job. You can also wear a long sleeve shirt so your GW's nails don't go into the skin. Keep up the great work, you can do it. Joe

OP
B

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
That's huge, great job. You can also wear a long sleeve shirt so your GW's nails don't go into the skin. Keep up the great work, you can do it. Joe

Thanks I did but he doesn't want to step up anymore and a bit scare again.
Maybe because I put him down so quickly because of his nails and I am afraid of him going up to my shoulder.

Maybe I should give him SUGAR COOKIES to tame him! Lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts