Planning a Road Trip to D.C from Atlanta, GA - how to travel with Green Cheeks?

Gxg

Sep 15, 2016
GA
Parrots
Peace & Quiet (Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conures, brother and sister). They are my babies whom I love very much and they are such a blessing.
As I am the primary caretakers of the birds for my family, I am curious as to whether anyone would have any suggestions for taking two birds on a trip to D.C for the opening of the African-American Museum at the Smitnsonian. I have family in D.C and would be welcomed there - but I am wondering on how much the drive would be for my babies. I have driven there before and it's about 10 hrs or more - but as I would make sure I'd be home in the evening to spend 3hrs with them, I am wondering how to do this....or if I should.

Any wisdom would be appreciated. What kind of cage (pics and links would be appreciated) could I get at a good price? How long to drive before stopping for breaks with them in the car? Have other trips like this been done before?

Last edited:
Should be fine. Do a google search for "conure travel cage" and you'll find a plethora of cage options to choose from that will allow you to transport them.

10 hours?! I make it from Lakeland,Florida to Waterbury,CT in 14 hours-(made, once,,never again!)
Give your babes a few trial runs first. My JoJo loves car rides, but Bongo just vomits over and over, which scares me to no end!

When our DYH Amazon was with his original family, they yearly drove from Northern Michigan to Southern Texas on the Gulf and back (snowbirds). Far over 10 hours. We travel near every weekend with our Amazon on clearly much shorter trips and he loves traveling.

There are several other members who are traveling with their Parrots and have written Threads regarding their trips. I believe that the important thing is to take your guys on some short trips around town to see how they react and what you will need to keep them happy /safe. The important thing is, the cage really need to be buckled into the seat. That will limit your need to adjust its if it moves.

Remember that you will need a cover /blanket to keep the Sun off them while traveling and when parked for fuel, food or potty breaks. Also, remember to control the heat in the car when stopped i.e..... open windows for air flow. FYI: You're pretty much eating in the car!

We treat our road trips like an adventure for the Birds (one mac & two zons) and it reinforces all sorts of bonds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back