imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III
Strange question because I remember seeing it but I apparently didn't bookmark what I read.

I could have sworn I saw a few things on plant food being used in plants that were going to be used for the birdie babies. I'm obviously not searching for it correctly so I was hoping someone could give me a buzzword or phrase to spark me, if not direct me where to go.

Can anyone tell me why I have it in my head no plant food for home garden items for the birdie babies? Or am I just thinking because of the 2012 Miracle-Gro stuff?

I want to start planning for the Sir's needs next year in case I need to make an alternative plan for his veggies and herbs.

I don't use any pesticides or anything. I change out half of the soil to put in the law, flowerbeds, or potatoes then I do one big earthworm-assisted composting at the beginning of the season, maybe some Miracle-Gro plant food mid-season if the plants are doing more poorly than I would expect. It's the Miracle-Gro part I'm jow worried about. I grow my own veg for the doge and Meownager food I make (except for broccoli--can't seem to be able to get that down).

Are there any alternatives anyone can recommend as I work to plan for next year? When I look it up I get nectar recommendations and lists of foods safe for birds. I'm not sure that means there are none or I'm not asking it in the right way.

I'm thinking since the big brrrrrr got my pepper plants I might try to sprout then overwinter those since I'm trying to do sprouts for the Sir anyway. I usually use plant food and not traditional fertilizer but I'm happy to change over if it's needed.

TIA!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Plant Food or better stated soil enhancers are commonly used to return specific chemicals /minerals to soil that have been extensively over-used to grow a specific plant that has extracted that chemical /mineral over the years of use. Example: House plants that have set in the same pot for years.

The dangers of using these products is that fresh /new soil can be over-loaded with far greater levels than the plant can use. The resulting plant can likewise become over-loaded which can result in the Parrot being exposed to greater levels of chemicals /minerals that is beyond what they need.

Never add chemicals /minerals to a Parrots diet without first verifying that the Parrot requires them, by first having one's Parrot Full Spectrum Blood tested. This also makes good sense that prior to adding chemicals /minerals to your home plants soil by having the soil tested first.

OP
imouse1

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Plant Food or better stated soil enhancers are commonly used to return specific chemicals /minerals to soil that have been extensively over-used to grow a specific plant that has extracted that chemical /mineral over the years of use. Example: House plants that have set in the same pot for years.

The dangers of using these products is that fresh /new soil can be over-loaded with far greater levels than the plant can use. The resulting plant can likewise become over-loaded which can result in the Parrot being exposed to greater levels of chemicals /minerals that is beyond what they need.

Never add chemicals /minerals to a Parrots diet without first verifying that the Parrot requires them, by first having one's Parrot Full Spectrum Blood tested. This also makes good sense that prior to adding chemicals /minerals to your home plants soil by having the soil tested first.

Because my doge (whom we just found put has nowhere tumor 😢) eats things in a a bone broth solution I have to make from scratch, I never had to really think about it because she'll never finish no matter how much or little she gets served.

I appreciate the info! I just want to make sure now I'm growing things for Gregg I'm not trying to kill him haha. Sounds like I need to get some new soil and start over for his herbs JIC.

Thanks again!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Respectfully, my dear friend, I must disagree with you - my plant biologist is coming out.

Nutrien uptake in plants is largely osmotically regulated. a plant won’t take up more than it can use. When there is excess nutrients in the environment, it interferes with osmotic regulation, giving the typical toxicity symptoms we see. There won’t be much in the way of “excessive accumulation in the leaves”.

moderate use of run of the mill inorganic

OP
imouse1

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Respectfully, my dear friend, I must disagree with you - my plant biologist is coming out.

Nutrien uptake in plants is largely osmotically regulated. a plant won’t take up more than it can use. When there is excess nutrients in the environment, it interferes with osmotic regulation, giving the typical toxicity symptoms we see. There won’t be much in the way of “excessive accumulation in the leaves”.

moderate use of run of the mill inorganic
Are you saying it's okay to use plant food or no? Is this a specifies-specific thing or a plant-specific thing?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Right you are good friend!
I was coming from the vantage point: If a little (moderate use) is good, a ton of it has to be great1 Starting with fresh soil is always a better approach. Moderate use will not cause problems. Dumping the plant food on, not so good!

OP
imouse1

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Right you are good friend!
I was coming from the vantage point: If a little (moderate use) is good, a ton of it has to be great1 Starting with fresh soil is always a better approach. Moderate use will not cause problems. Dumping the plant food on, not so good!
I don't dump on, just whatever the directions say if the plant is looking a little peaky.

Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts