Plastic toy

May 17, 2020
So I got my parrot this plastic hanging binkie ball with dummies in it and he is chewing the plastic ball up and breaking it is this safe.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If he is breaking it into bits, it just depends..Is it hard plastic, or rubber? or silicone? Are the chunks sharp?

If I do get kids toys for my bird, I usually try to look for the non-gummy kids that are BPA free, but I am always cautious because Max's dad (cockatoo youtube guy) has found all sorts of random stuff in kids toys that Max destroyed--- like metal screws inside of seemingly solid wood children's building blocks. Basically, safe for a kid may mean SAFER for a bird, but babies still don't have teeth and some of the paints etc that are safe for them wouldn't necessarily be safe for a bird.

The insides are not intended to be exposed in most cases too...so sometimes there is unexpected stuff inside of them (glues, metals, choking hazards etc).
It also depends on if he is possibly ingesting any of it, and that will be partly to do with your bird, but also partly do with the material it's made of.

I doubt any damage has been done at all, I'm sure he's fine, but I probably wouldn't leave it in there without thinking through the type of plastic, his tendencies, choking hazards, sharp edges etc etc.

Hard to say without seeing it and knowing more about the toy and your bird himself.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
hi there. I am of the opinion that wood is the material of choice for parrot toys, and not all woods. Some parrots just beat up on hard plastic toys but will chew up and destroy soft types . Salty is that kind of parrot, so he only gets the hard plastic type. You have to see if yours is just beating it up, or is he actually chewing and destroying it. Me I am not comfortable with Salty chewing up soft plastic toys because I can't be certain he is not ingesting small pieces.

OP
S
May 17, 2020
It's made for african grey parrots and hes a sun conure in a lot of reviews it was destroyed. It is soft piece

Most Reactions

Latest posts