Please help beginners guide to baby parakeet

parrotnewb

Dec 4, 2019
Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well.

I’m coming here pretty much as a last resort. I bought a new Indian Ringneck parakeet around May time of this year and it was just born 6 months prior to that, so a baby. And I have had a really hard time to tame him. At the start we kept him in his cage for around three months, then we took him out but our mistake was that he wasn’t hand trained so he wouldn’t go back to his cage.
We would let him out and he would never fly to our hand and it was the hardest thing ever trying go get him in the cage, so we used food. And sometimes that worked. Now it’s December, and he still isn’t used to us. I’ve tried to train him on my finger using a perch, using the same words, but he doesn't listen and only flies when there’s food. Anytime I try approach him he hisses at me or flies away. This means that its very hard for me to get him in the cage as he loves being out. I feel bad for him when he’s in his cage because he doesn’t really play with his toys and latches on the cage door trying to escape, so I let him out.

I feel like all he is doing is eating, sleeping and pooping. Theres still no trust and he still isn’t tamed. I’m really struggling I don’t know what to do, I’ve tried to read up on it but I’m very overwhelmed. How do I tame my bird, get him to trust me, get him in the cage if he flies away all the time and basically hates the cage even when he’s hungry he won’t go in.

I know this is a all over the place ask, but honestly any help would be appreciated greatly. Thank you.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
You are correct, coming here is your last resort! You should find all the support and guidance you will need!
Don’t blame it on him not being hand tame, with a ringneck being in the cage for three months would have put you back to ground zero! If he will come when you have food, that is great!
And welcome!

OP
P

parrotnewb

Dec 4, 2019
Thank you everyone I’m having a look and taking notes. Do you have any advice on what cage to buy my IRN I’ve been really struggling. What kind does everyone suggest?

Most Reactions