Please HELP! Need expert advice!

Caleb

Jul 24, 2012
Hello all. I am the proud owner of a 4 month old Hahns macaw. I picked him up a week ago and i was told he was weaned a couple of weeks ago. He is perfectly healthy ( clear eyes, nose, etc.)but ever since i brought him home he showed minimal interest in his food and toys. He seems to respond to my verbal praise instead of treats. Also he doesn't seem to be at all interested in fresh fruit and vegetables. The biggest part of my concern is weight loss. The breeder said that he would most likely lose some weight and then he would regain it after he was more comfortable. He was 163 grams when i got him and now he is 152. He seems comfortable and happy. Could some one tell me how i can help him? Any responses are greatly appreciated.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Young birds often regress (if that's what it's called), when they go to a new home... I would try serving him some warm baby food...

Also ask the breeder what food he did eat, and how it was prepared...

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
He hasn't regressed has he?

As lene suggested, try the baby food. Maybe even chat with the breeder about getting some formula - you can try spoon feeding him. Try mashed up fruits/vegies. Soft boiled potatoes, carrots, etc.

OP
C

Caleb

Jul 24, 2012
Thank you for the comments, helped a lot!

Most Reactions

Latest posts