Nika has found a new home. Thank you Grayway!!

parme

Mar 22, 2023
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Sun Conure
Here is my story, please don't judge. My son, an adult who is bipolar and lives with me, purchased 2 Sun Conures just over a year ago. Although I did not want them, I immediately bonded with one of them. He bonded with the other. I immediately transferred the money ($900) into his bank account and took full ownership for my beloved bird. He has barely paid attention or done anything with his. Everything is me, but I don't like the bird - plain and simple. She is a very active 1 year old who needs someone to love. Very tame, but very active. I am keeping mine, but must get a new home for his. Nika is the name and we're pretty sure she is a female. Nika got out just over a week ago and my bird was fine for the 3 days she was gone. In fact he was better than ever, she bullies him. We found her, thanks social media. Though bonded they need to separate so that my guy can have the spoiled perfect life he and I deserve.

If you met me you would understand, but also understand the Nika is gorgeous and special too. If she can't find a good home, she will go with my son who is moving in back in with his wife and 3 cats. She should not be neglected, so hoping someone will come to her rescue!!

I live in the Ahwatukee Foothills in Phoenix AZ. The golf course clubhouse is visible from my backyard. https://goo.gl/maps/GmMAR2nTM9dk5SyT6

Nika at found house.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
You'll find no judgement here, only caring.
She is a beautiful girl and I hope you can find a wonderful home for her. It sounds like it's best to rehome her for her sake and your bird's sake since she's bullying him.
It will help if you could give your location - not an address or anything, just your general area.
I hope we can help you find her a home:)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Here is my story, please don't judge. My son, an adult who is bipolar and lives with me, purchased 2 Sun Conures just over a year ago. Although I did not want them, I immediately bonded with one of them. He bonded with the other. I immediately transferred the money ($900) into his bank account and took full ownership for my beloved bird. He has barely paid attention or done anything with his. Everything is me, but I don't like the bird - plain and simple. She is a very active 1 year old who needs someone to love. Very tame, but very active. I am keeping mine, but must get a new home for his. Nika is the name and we're pretty sure she is a female. Nika got out just over a week ago and my bird was fine for the 3 days she was gone. In fact he was better than ever, she bullies him. We found her, thanks social media. Though bonded they need to separate so that my guy can have the spoiled perfect life he and I deserve.

If you met me you would understand, but also understand the Nika is gorgeous and special too. If she can't find a good home, she will go with my son who is moving in back in with his wife and 3 cats. She should not be neglected, so hoping someone will come to her rescue!!

I live in the Ahwatukee Foothills in Phoenix AZ. The golf course clubhouse is visible from my backyard. https://goo.gl/maps/GmMAR2nTM9dk5SyT6

View attachment 48584
I have a friend in Phoenix who may be Interested. A serious experienced bird nerd. I'll call him.

OP
parme

parme

Mar 22, 2023
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Sun Conure

View attachment 48584
Picture from main post taken by people who found Nika when she got out.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I have a friend in Phoenix who may be Interested. A serious experienced bird nerd. I'll call him.
You're awesome, Donna! Fingers crossed.

OP
parme

parme

Mar 22, 2023
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Sun Conure
They're both gorgeous! I'm wondering if they are Sun and Jenday hybrids? They're known as Sunday Conures.

https://petkeen.com/what-is-a-sunday-conure/
I thought they were a Sunday and a Jenday but they were both young and now the yellow one has red on his face and chest and yellow all over his wings. He looks like a classic Sun Conure. Nika has yellow on her wings too and she had none. Seemed to be a Jenday at first but now I think she's a Sunday. Still red but way less green and a fair amount of yellow on her wings. I've covered them up for the night but will take new pictures tomorrow. The initial picture is Nika now, taken about a week ago from the people she came to when she got out. She is absolutely beautiful.

Last edited:

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Don't let her go to a house with 3 cats. I have a complex over such things. When I was young and my parents decided to move, I was not allowed to take my budgie. I had to find a home quickly and one of my friends said he would take it, but he promised to keep their house cat away. The next day I went to say my final farewell and princess was already gone.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I thought they were a Sunday and a Jenday but they were both young and now the yellow one has red on his face and chest and yellow all over his wings. He looks like a classic Sun Conure. Nika has yellow on her wings too and she had none. Seemed to be a Jenday at first but now I think she's a Sunday. Still red but way less green and a fair amount of yellow on her wings. I've covered them up for the night but will take new pictures tomorrow. The initial picture is Nika now, taken about a week ago from the people she came to when she got out. She is absolutely beautiful.
I haven't heard from my friend in Phoenix. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh no that's not fair at ALL to the bird bonded to you!!! And of course not fair to you!

In the US let's are property and you paid for your bird. He can't legally take your bird; that's theft of your property. I'm sorry, this has got to be stressful for you :(

OP
parme

parme

Mar 22, 2023
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Sun Conure
I actually wound up paying for both birds and a nice cage, 2 play stands for kitchen and living room, all food toys ... everything. My son is not well. I just need to rehome Nika when he is not around and deal with him afterwards. He will not take my Kaze (my bird). Hope someone can save Nika!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I actually wound up paying for both birds and a nice cage, 2 play stands for kitchen and living room, all food toys ... everything. My son is not well. I just need to rehome Nika when he is not around and deal with him afterwards. He will not take my Kaze (my bird). Hope someone can save Nika!!
If you paid for both birds, they are both yours. Perhaps if you tell your son that he can take Nika when he's not only paid you back for her, but has also paid for all the food, and let's call it bird sitting that you've done for her over the last year. I'm really sorry that he's suffering from Bi-polar, I have it myself.
But I hope that someone would step in like you have to make sure that my birds were taken care of when I was unable to do it myself. Someday he may thank you for this.
Do you have a friend who could keep Nika until your son moves out?
I'm so sorry you're going through this, but you're on the side of the angels and I pray that everything works out for you all.

OP
parme

parme

Mar 22, 2023
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Sun Conure
If you paid for both birds, they are both yours. Perhaps if you tell your son that he can take Nika when he's not only paid you back for her, but has also paid for all the food, and let's call it bird sitting that you've done for her over the last year. I'm really sorry that he's suffering from Bi-polar, I have it myself.
But I hope that someone would step in like you have to make sure that my birds were taken care of when I was unable to do it myself. Someday he may thank you for this.
Do you have a friend who could keep Nika until your son moves out?
I'm so sorry you're going through this, but you're on the side of the angels and I pray that everything works out for you all.
I wish I knew someone who could take her. Thank you for your kindness 🙏🙏🙏

Most Reactions