Please tell me this is molting :(

ingrehd

Apr 11, 2013
Parrots
Morgan, 14+ Lilac Crowned Amazon
Recently I've been finding a lot of white feathers and green feathers (the entire feather--no blood) at the bottom of Morgan's cage.
The other day when he flew to his cage one of his tail feathers fell out as well.
I'm really worried that he might have started to pluck (I've been working a lot of hours lately and no one in my household has the balls to take him out of his cage) , but I'm hoping that he's just going through a molt :(
ingrehd-albums-morgan-picture8546-photo-4.jpg

ingrehd-albums-morgan-picture8545-photo-2.jpg

ingrehd-albums-morgan-picture8544-photo-1.jpg

The lack of feathers/a lot of white feathers under his wings has been like that since I got him

OP
I

ingrehd

Apr 11, 2013
Parrots
More white feathers?
There is a lot of those under his wings and I can see some if I move around the green feathers on his chest.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Is blood on the quill an indicator that the feather was plucked? How can you tell if its been plucked or if it just shed out?

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Sounds like molting, everything you said is consistent with that. If there is no bald patches then it is molt. The white feathers under the wings a lot of birds are like that including Bosley, not sure why.

OP
I

ingrehd

Apr 11, 2013
Parrots
When I called the Vet the only information they could provide me with was that the major red flags were blood on the quills, bald spots, and feathers that looked all chewed up. She told me not to worry about the last one because most of Morgan's chest feathers are all tattered up because of his excessive preening and crappy 15 year long diet

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
She is exactly right. Spring and Fall are typical molting times too. Also you said that a tail feather came out when he flew, that is a typical molting thing as well. Soon you should be seeing New pin feathers.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
The feathers under a birds' wings are sparser, and lighter, because that is how they cool themselves. Birds don't sweat. And his wings are heavy and insulating. That's why our birds hold their wings out when they are hot. It ventilates the body, and with sparser feathering, the body can be cooled quicker. That area is protected by closed wings, so less feathers work for cooling the body down.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Thank you guys so much! Because I was wondering about that. I was checking very feather, but not really sure what to look for, how to tell if it was plucked or not.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I would suggest giving him a good soaking bath! Then, after he dries and preens, then re-examine him!

Most Reactions