Possible desexing laws?

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
Does anyone else think it would be a good idea if there was the following law?

Pet cats, dogs, rabbits, ferrets, etc must by law be desexed. If you are a breeder, you may apply for a permit to own undesexed animals. This would require inspection of premises and many many forms filled out to make sure that the person is set up as a professional breeder and is not an amateur.

It would also cost more money to have the permit than to get them desexed, so anyone who is not serious about breeding won't do it.

The government should subsidise the desexing procedure also (since they will be getting a revenue from the permits, it shouldn't cost them too much).

Random pet inspections get carried out, and if your animal is found to be undesexed (and of age) and you don't have a permit, you get one warning, and you have to desex them within 30 days. If you've had one warning and an animal is later found to not be desexed, it is euthanised.

Oh and if the pet has some medical condition where it is too risky to have them desexed, you could get an official letter from your vet stating this fact and you are exempted. All that should be a sufficient motive for people to get them desexed!

This will basically eliminate feral cats and dogs and relieve a huge burden on shelters!

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
I think it would be a very bad idea.

Mainly because it would be unenforceable without a complete police state.

I too, feel bad about all of the animals that end up in shelters and euthanized, but I feel the alternative above is far, far worse.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Euthanized animals because their owners are irresponsible? No, I can't buy in. Your concern is valid but the proposal is unworkable and further victimizes the creatures who have already been harmed by being born to irresponsible owners. I do think that spaying and neutering is good and effective. A stable I trained at some years ago developed a problem with near feral cats. They started with one very pregnant stray that wandered in and failed to act when her kittens started having kittens. With owners permission (his exact words were "throw the lot in the lake") two other boarders and I rounded up the friendly ones and live trapped the others over two months and took them into three local vets who did once monthly Saturday morning spay clinics for 11 USD per animals. We lost only one cat through this as one of the Tom cats died inexplicably under anesthesia. Each cat was given a rabies jab as well.I'll. We got twenty two cats done and the couple of hundred dollars involved was reduced by donations from other horse owners with the stable owner even chipping in a ten in the end. A dividend is that a bunch of the neutered kittens were adopted by borders or friends. Plus we got a hysterical video of me and another nurse trying to catch cats and remove stitches in an old tack room we were using as our post op containment zone. My point is this. I think community solutions are better than governmental intervention on something like this...and I'm a Democrat...go figure.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I think we should "desex" more humans. We are after all the ones destroying the planet primarily through overpopulation.

Perhaps we could "desex" anyone who collects welfare, including children. If any of these people refuse to be desexed they can be euthanized. This would surely put a stop to all those irresponsible breeders!

Perhaps the government could also subsidize these surgeries - perhaps a wiser investment of tax dollars.

Of course this is all very disgusting. I fail to see how it is less disgusting when applied to species who are NOT destroying the planet.

OP
Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
Ok instead of them getting euthanised, they get seized and taken to a shelter. The owners are charged a fine. To get their pets back the owner has to pay for the desexing, plus pay for the boarding of the animal for however many days it takes them to act. Each time they get caught with an undesexed animal the fines go up exponentially. I guess this is like what Ripley said. Except with actual inspections of people's houses :)

OP
Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
Ok, how's this:

- Breeders have to have a permit to own undesexed animals, as before.
- It is law that breeders have to microchip their animals before they sell them
- The microchip contains the new owner's details and the breeder's details, as well as whether the animal is desexed. The breeder/owner won't be able to mess with this info, it requires vet equipment to change info on microchips.
- Breeders may not sell undesexed males or undesexed females of age to people without a permit. If they do the wrong thing, their permit is taken away
- Since the info is available, a inspection may be carried out on pet owners who own an undesexed female of age (e.g. they bought an undesexed female kitten, six months later if the info on the microchip says she is not desexed, someone comes to seize her if she really isn't desexed (must check first in case there was a naughty vet who forgot to update the microchip with no fault to the owner!).
-Animals found outside people's homes can be checked and seized if they are not desexed, as Ripley said, with fines etc.

The net result:

-Crossbred and stray animals will very slowly reduce
-No animal bred by a breeder on purpose will contribute to strays and crossbreeds
-No violation of the Constitution: by buying an animal from the breeder, the new owner knows their info is available to people and they are agreeing to be inspected if they buy an undesexed female
-With most animals being microchipped, the national bureau of statistics will have extra info to make statistics on, disease outbreaks will be much more easily managed (vaccination info will be on microchip as well)

It may be a problem that the general health of pet populations will decline if crossbreeds are not allowed. But this won't happen, because as crossbreeds reduce and it is harder for people who want one to get one, there will begin to be a market for people to get a permit who want to breed crossbreds on purpose.

Oh and an extra benefit: bloodlines on purebreed animals will be completely available, even if someone loses their papers or an amateur breeds their animal. This will help to avoid genetic accidents and breeders will be able to breed healthier stock.

Last edited:

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
I am very curious where this is all coming from. What exactly is the atmosphere in Australia to make someone advocate such a totalitarian state? Is the place being overrun with feral animals or something?

OP
Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
I was just reading a Boule et Bill comic, they have a pet inspector come and Boule races around cleaning up Bill's things (he's a beagle). It got me thinking about pet inspections and what they might achieve.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Welcome to Utopia, now if you can only figure out how to pay for it all ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts