Potential Foot injury?

sparrowwandering

Nov 26, 2021
Parrots
💚 GREEN CHEEK CONURE
Hi y'all, I recently noticed that my green cheek conure (Jasper) has been acting gingerly with one of her feet. she has been lifting the foot up and flexing it every now and then like it hurts. I've only had her for a few months, and I'm not very experienced with birds, so sorry if this is a stupid question. Should I take her to an avian vet to get her looked over?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forums to you and Jasper! I'm sorry she seems to be having an issue with her foot though :(

How long have you observed Jasper holding her foot up? In my personal opinion I think it's generally a good idea to have any new bird checked for overall wellness by a certified avian vet, (not your average dog or cat vet), followed by an annual check to help nip any health issues in the bud nice and early. An ounce of prevention is worth several tons of cure especially with birds, as they are so very good at hiding any signs of illness, sometimes sadly just a little too good. I'm not sure exactly where in the world you are located, but the following link should help you find a certified avian vet if you are not already acquainted with one......

Thank you for joining, and I hope your little one will be ok 🙏

OP
sparrowwandering

sparrowwandering

Nov 26, 2021
Parrots
💚 GREEN CHEEK CONURE
Welcome to the forums to you and Jasper! I'm sorry she seems to be having an issue with her foot though :(

How long have you observed Jasper holding her foot up? In my personal opinion I think it's generally a good idea to have any new bird checked for overall wellness by a certified avian vet, (not your average dog or cat vet), followed by an annual check to help nip any health issues in the bud nice and early. An ounce of prevention is worth several tons of cure especially with birds, as they are so very good at hiding any signs of illness, sometimes sadly just a little too good. I'm not sure exactly where in the world you are located, but the following link should help you find a certified avian vet if you are not already acquainted with one......

Thank you for joining, and I hope your little one will be ok 🙏
Thanks so much for your input! An avian vet was recommended to me by the breeder I got her from so I will be sure to schedule something.

Most Reactions

Latest posts