Pumpkin Seeds

BarkleyLoves

Jul 23, 2012
TX
Parrots
Barkley (4yo Eclectus)----
Pepper (7yo White-Capped Pionus)
I know it's not October yet, lol, but pumpkins will soon be coming out. I'm having a nightmare of a time finding pumpkin seeds in my area. When they do come out, do I have to do anything to them before I feed them to my birds and how do I save them? I have one bird I'm trying to work with (def a biter) and I've been using pumpkin seeds as treats. It's really the only seeds I'll allow them to have.

Thanks!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Try your local health food stores for pumkin seeds which are also known as pepitas in some Mexican markets. Just by unsalted ones:D

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
Ziva - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I always save the seeds from my pumpkins, you can also save seeds from other squash and zucchini too. My GCC loves zucchini seeds. To save them long term you will need to dry them. I have spread them out in a single layer on a dish towel in the sun or you can put a fan on them. Both ways work. I have also used my dehydrator to dry them, or the oven, but you have to watch them in the oven. They dry really quickly, and if I give them to the bird I don't want them to brown.

OP
B

BarkleyLoves

Jul 23, 2012
TX
Parrots
Barkley (4yo Eclectus)----
Pepper (7yo White-Capped Pionus)
Thank you both. I will check out the health foods store until the pumpkins come out. Annageckos, thank you. I never thought about saving the seeds from the squash and zucchini! :) I just didn't know how to dry them. I don't have a food dehydrator, but I think I'll try a few minutes in the oven at a low temperature. Thanks again! :)

nancyj

Oct 11, 2012
ohio
Parrots
b&g quaker cockatiels, cag, bcc,ycm,parrotlet
Keep the pumpkin seeds when you hollow out your pumpkin. Your birds will love them. I give my flock one helping of seeds fresh from the pumpkin, then dry the remainder on stainless steel cookie sheets or pan in a 300-degree oven for future use. Take advantage of autumn produce to add chunks of vitamin-A rich pumpkin and squash to your bird’s menu

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Just to update, I by them raw, shelled, at the health food store where they sell them in bulk and you can by as many or as few as you like. I have small birds so I buy about a 1/3 of a cup at a time and keep them in the fridge:D

Most Reactions

Latest posts