Quaker over preening or normal?

AmberLou

Oct 17, 2022
Parrots
Quaker
Hello,

I have a young Quaker (Kiwi). I did have him DNA tested a definitely a male. The vet only could tell me that he was young but we’re not really sure how young. However, starting this past March, he went through a BIG molting period. That seems to have lasted for months and is still going on to some extent. I’m starting to get concerned that he is now over preening himself. During the molt he did eventually lose all his tail feathers and new ones came in. However, he has now continued to preen to the point of having at least 2 of the new tail feathers come out. Plus, he is constantly having smaller feathers and down like feathers come out daily. How long is the springtime molt supposed to last? Is this normal? His diet is about 70% fresh veggies and 30% seeds. Wondering if he is missing some nutrients? I work from home, so he gets free roam around the house all day if he wants it, but mostly he is hanging out wherever I’m at.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Aside from seeing all the fluff, how do his feathers look? Can you post some photos?

Most Reactions

Latest posts