Quaker parrot picking feathers

abbycaru

Dec 20, 2018
My quaker parrot is acting oddly. He has never had a problem with plucking. This morning I woke up and went to get him out of his cage and those white, fluffy down feathers were all over the place. I've been watching him and he's been pulling them out, like I can see him actually pulling them from his skin. I dont know if this is normal/if he's just molting and that's what they do. But he also seems kind of itchy. I try to give him distractions but he goes back to it. If it continues I am going to take him to my vet, but I was wondering if anyone knew what this could be/if you've experienced something similar.
Thanks

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
⁹Hi,
I think you have moved to a new house? Are there other changes?

I guess I should ask first how old is your quaker? How long have you had? What does he e a t?

Quaker parrots are very prone to become pluckers, if their needs aren't met. They are very social, active and intelligent.

It seems to be the start of molting season here, I dont know your location? But mine don't pull them out. As they preen they fall out, I guess maybe sometime they remove them while preening. But tgey never seem itching.

Could your parrot have gotten into a chemical? Have you held after just useing the alcohol cleansing gel.

I have also read chronic metal toxicity can make them itching. Lead can be in wall paper, zinc is hidden in so many things.

Yeast issues can make them itchy.
As can be dry skin, offer baths every day, let tgem choose when to take a bath.

Its a very good practice to have a digital kitchen scale and weigh your bird every week. Daily if you think something is up.. more than 3% weight-loss seek a vet even if no other symptoms. Abd if course seek a vet with any symptoms even if no weight-loss..

What is your quakers name?

Csn you share a picture?
The quick way is to click go advanced under text box, use the paperclip to pick a picture, hit upload on far right, when loads close window and post.

This is a nice article with stress reduction ideas.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Last edited:
OP
A

abbycaru

Dec 20, 2018
Hi! His name is Aspen. I've had him for about 3 years and he's around 3 and a half years old. He took a bath this morning (and is normally afraid of water) so thats why I was thinking maybe he's molting. I just found it weird that he's picking out the down feathers. We did move recently but that was close to a month ago and hes been perfectly fine. He hasn't been exposed to anything toxic as I have 5 other parrots and am VERY paranoid about keeping them safe. I'm worried that something is wrong with him, though.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Aspen is a fabulous name!!
Knowing your birds weight is so important.
If you think something is going on trust yourself.
S
And also it's hormonal time. They can be extra loud, extra cage defense. But mine don't pull feathers or act itchy

Another way to share pictures is click you name and add an alb. After you have pictures in your album, click on a picture, 2 lines if text will be under the picture, copy past tge secind line into yiur text box , it will post pictures when you post

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
In addition to the stress of the mood, make sure your routine is semi-consistent early on (that may help with the adjustment).
Consider differences in lighting as well (which can impact them).
Make sure he gets at least 10 hours sleep indefinitely-- adult parrots need at least that much and sleep regulates hormones which impact mood and immune health.
If you have any tents or huts in his cage, I'd move them when he isn't looking, but some quaker people don't have issues---while others do.

Birds CAN carry dormant or semi-dormant/asymptomatic viruses and if they get stressed by a move or something, it can also cause them to show symptoms/flare up, so I would also consider a vet visit any time you see a behavior change.

Most Reactions

Latest posts