Quakers foot bleeding

BigBranton

Nov 2, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
I got a Quaker male, 5 days ago, they say he was just weaned, he is biting his toenails until they bleed, idk what to do. He came to me on seed only diet Iā€™ve been giving him fresh bird chop every morning, and bought some roudybush pellets he eats them someā€¦I noticed he will eat them more if I add a tiny amount of water. Is this a normal behavior for baby Quakers or is this a sign he may be sick? I gave him a bath and washed most of the blood off but he is picking at both feet just the nails. Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 45EE8A1F-ACF9-4BAB-A4A1-0EBD058283B6.jpeg
    45EE8A1F-ACF9-4BAB-A4A1-0EBD058283B6.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 338

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I would suggest using cornstartch in a bowl and dip the bird's nail in it to clot the blood if he is still bleeding. I would also add that making an appointment with a vet would be very productive. They can run labs, and do several other tests to get to the bottom of why your feathered friend is picking at his nails to the extent of making them bleed. I'm very sorry for the circumstances of why you joined the parrot forum, but welcome!

OP
B

BigBranton

Nov 2, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
I would suggest using cornstartch in a bowl and dip the bird's nail in it to clot the blood if he is still bleeding. I would also add that making an appointment with a vet would be very productive. They can run labs, and do several other tests to get to the bottom of why your feathered friend is picking at his nails to the extent of making them bleed. I'm very sorry for the circumstances of why you joined the parrot forum, but welcome!
Thank you! I took him to the store we got him from and the employee told me it was a normal behavior to use Cornstarch as well to clot it but it just didnā€™t settle right with me. I will try to find a vet that will see birds here šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the Forums to the two of you, though I am sorry for the worrying circumstances.

I agree that a check with an avian vet is warranted in this case, and perhaps the link below may help you to locate one near you...

Again, welcome aboard, and I hope that your little one will be ok šŸ™

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
hi, welcome to quakers. Looks like a beautiful bird.

Stressed quakers are known to go after their feet. And being new is stress. There is a syndrome called quaker mutilation syndrome. Because they are prone to this when stressed.

When I rescued one in terrible horrible conditions she had vern mutilating her feet for a while, missing a toe tip, and bloody , scared feet. Poor girl.. after being with me and 100 improvement in her life, cleanliness, cage size ect. She stopped. Though fir a few months after getting her if something stressed her she would start over grooming feet. Now never.

This is very very mild. But definitely something you want stopped.

Because so very new. Just try and have a routine, always come to the Cage from the front. Always announce yourself by saying hi ( name). Explain stuff. Have a set bed time, make sure 10-12 hours of sleep.

Food and anxiety go hand in hand with birds . So new burds get what ever they had been fed. But in different bowls you can offer a wide choice if things you would like them to have. Diet changes should be slow.. Offer veggies outside of cage in wide shallow dishes or plates. Quakers really are known to love veggies!!! Let them explore and chomp, yiu fint have to force or make a bug deal. Natural curiosity usually turn explore. I offer in chunks abd some cut up in vube size tgst they can pick up. Whole leave of romaine, Swiss shard are kived. Hunks if broccoli, fresh green beans cut in half, slices if zucchini, yellow squash, cucumber ect. Bell pepper cut in half with seeds, red chili pepper are well loved by most, some fresh corn on the cob with some cut off, frozen peas that you just thaw abd serve. There us always a lot wasted but there are lots of chomps too. A little boiled egg with shell, remove after 20 min.
I. Going to ho get my stress article

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Just read Lauraseaā€™s post, I didnā€™t know this type of self mutilation was a thing! She gives some great advice there, where are you located? Any store that sells parrots should be able to give you information about the bird - like, who is the breeder, what vet exams or health checks or vaccinations the bird has had, hatch certificate to prove the bird wasnā€™t wild caught, etc and itā€™s very fishy for them to blow you off like that.

Birds are very good at hiding their illnesses until itā€™s too late to save them. It would be a good idea, as suggested above, to find a certified avian vet (CAV) for a checkup as soon as possible. Your bird might not have been properly weanedā€¦the store should at least be able to tell you what heā€™s been eating. There are species-specific forums here where you can find great advice about nutrition because every species is different. Some, like eclectus, have very efficient digestive systems and shouldnā€™t get vitamin-fortified foods, for example, and some need lots of fruits. There is no one size fits all diet.

The toe chewing is worrying and could lead to infection and death. Good luck, and keep us updated on what you learn!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
some things to consider, cage placement, the back should be against the wall, not near a door but where they can see people coming sbn going, and in your living room or family room is best. Nit in bedroom where they can hear. It nit see abd be part if stuff.

Most times people new to parrots get too small of cage. Tge cage needs to be 30-34 inches long, 20 or more wide, 30 plus high not counting stand. Several oerches of different width, with at least one wider than the okay sign with finger and thumb spread apart an inch. One pet h up high with a visual screen of a big toy or something that they can retreat behind for sleep, or if feeling stressed.

For ones prone to stress picking, offer millet spray to pick on, easy to chew up yucca chips, burd bagels, and wads if shredeed paper or preen toys.

Make sure when you have them out to give them a break every half hour for snacks and water.

I like to wait on any training fir a couple if weeks with new ones. I still let them out, and climb on me, but I donā€™t force anything.

Fir new weaned birds. Sometimes need warm comfort feeding before bed. Most will take baby burd formula made a little thicker like yogurt thickness , from your finger , or maybe a spoon, or a syringe thst yiu just drip at front of beak. Don't girve or chase them around with this, let them come to you, or offer on a plate abd tap next to it, most will come taste. Or offer a littil warm oatmeal, or a spoonful amount of warm boiled or scrambled egg.

This article talks about doing observations, but don't take thst to mean leaving tge burd alone and just observe. Just take time to observe sbd see if notice a stress, or ways to improve use of cage and perches. I don't target train with clickers, I just say good burd instead. Any training should be short snd sweet, no more than five reps, but can repeat throughout the day.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
yep, its definitely a thing with quakers.
They are highly intelligent, and social, sbd activity. And so are prone to self mutilation, plucking, and screaming . They are not good candidates for being caged all day while you work. Unfortunately in a situation like that often problems develop and they are re homed by the hundreds.

You want to teach foraging, abd can play at that together. You want to have them out, and part if tge family as much as possible. They are a lot more like cockatoo, not as needy tho. But need more interaction than GCC, cockatiel, Amazon, and African Grey example.
Think how they are in the wild , huge gregarious flocks, community nest living . Doesn't mean you have to have more than one tho, just that you are the flock. And need a lot of social time.

And before I forget! As adults most will be extremely cage protective. Yiu will likely have to have them come out before Changing food abd water and messing with cage. They are still loves away from the cage. So fint think they turned mean when they start doing this. Just have a perch they can step out to first. I have lots if perches outside and in top of cage for mine.

Last edited:
OP
B

BigBranton

Nov 2, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
Just read Lauraseaā€™s post, I didnā€™t know this type of self mutilation was a thing! She gives some great advice there, where are you located? Any store that sells parrots should be able to give you information about the bird - like, who is the breeder, what vet exams or health checks or vaccinations the bird has had, hatch certificate to prove the bird wasnā€™t wild caught, etc and itā€™s very fishy for them to blow you off like that.

Birds are very good at hiding their illnesses until itā€™s too late to save them. It would be a good idea, as suggested above, to find a certified avian vet (CAV) for a checkup as soon as possible. Your bird might not have been properly weanedā€¦the store should at least be able to tell you what heā€™s been eating. There are species-specific forums here where you can find great advice about nutrition because every species is different. Some, like eclectus, have very efficient digestive systems and shouldnā€™t get vitamin-fortified foods, for example, and some need lots of fruits. There is no one size fits all diet.

The toe chewing is worrying and could lead to infection and death. Good luck, and keep us updated on what you learn!
I will call tomorrow and ask for all that information. Thank you I never thought to ask. I appreciate your information I have introduced him to cucumber, red bell pepper, spinach, carrots, broccoli.. he is constantly going to his seeds I bought from the store, he is quite the character.

OP
B

BigBranton

Nov 2, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
yep, its definitely a thing with quakers.
They are highly intelligent, and social, sbd activity. And so are prone to self mutilation, plucking, and screaming . They are not good candidates for being caged all day while you work. Unfortunately in a situation like that often problems develop and they are re homed by the hundreds.

You want to teach foraging, abd can play at that together. You want to have them out, and part if tge family as much as possible. They are a lot more like cockatoo, not as needy tho. But need more interaction than GCC, cockatiel, Amazon, and African Grey example.
Think how they are in the wild , huge gregarious flocks, community nest living . Doesn't mean you have to have more than one tho, just that you are the flock. And need a lot of social time.

And before I forget! As adults most will be extremely cage protective. Yiu will likely have to have them come out before Changing food abd water and messing with cage. They are still loves away from the cage. So fint think they turned mean when they start doing this. Just have a perch they can step out to first. I have lots if perches outside and in top of cage for mine.
I take him out of his sleep cage around 9am and feed him his chop then let him play on the perch by the couch or let him go back to the cage in the living room with the door open, weā€™ve caught him talking when we are eating lunch and dinner in the kitchen and heā€™s still in the living room. I have two little perches he can hang out on without being in his cage he seems scared of the toys I have hanging in his cage, he walks on the bottom of the cage or sits on the perch I put on the door so when I open itā€™s easy to transfer him to a perch for the table or on top of cage. I would love some tips on how to teach foraging I tried putting some seeds in a toliet paper roll and rolling it up and he stepped on it and hopped back to the perch lol.

OP
B

BigBranton

Nov 2, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
Welcome to the Forums to the two of you, though I am sorry for the worrying circumstances.

I agree that a check with an avian vet is warranted in this case, and perhaps the link below may help you to locate one near you...

Again, welcome aboard, and I hope that your little one will be ok šŸ™
Thank youā¤ļø

OP
B

BigBranton

Nov 2, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
hi, welcome to quakers. Looks like a beautiful bird.

Stressed quakers are known to go after their feet. And being new is stress. There is a syndrome called quaker mutilation syndrome. Because they are prone to this when stressed.

When I rescued one in terrible horrible conditions she had vern mutilating her feet for a while, missing a toe tip, and bloody , scared feet. Poor girl.. after being with me and 100 improvement in her life, cleanliness, cage size ect. She stopped. Though fir a few months after getting her if something stressed her she would start over grooming feet. Now never.

This is very very mild. But definitely something you want stopped.

Because so very new. Just try and have a routine, always come to the Cage from the front. Always announce yourself by saying hi ( name). Explain stuff. Have a set bed time, make sure 10-12 hours of sleep.

Food and anxiety go hand in hand with birds . So new burds get what ever they had been fed. But in different bowls you can offer a wide choice if things you would like them to have. Diet changes should be slow.. Offer veggies outside of cage in wide shallow dishes or plates. Quakers really are known to love veggies!!! Let them explore and chomp, yiu fint have to force or make a bug deal. Natural curiosity usually turn explore. I offer in chunks abd some cut up in vube size tgst they can pick up. Whole leave of romaine, Swiss shard are kived. Hunks if broccoli, fresh green beans cut in half, slices if zucchini, yellow squash, cucumber ect. Bell pepper cut in half with seeds, red chili pepper are well loved by most, some fresh corn on the cob with some cut off, frozen peas that you just thaw abd serve. There us always a lot wasted but there are lots of chomps too. A little boiled egg with shell, remove after 20 min.
I. Going to ho get my stress article
Thank you for all your wonderful advice I will add all those mentioned to my next grocery list, I bought the seed he was on from the store and heā€™s been eating well, he is more curious and playful with the veggies. He flings it everywhere but I read itā€™s good for them to play with their food because theyā€™re still tasting some while playing. He seems to love cucumbers and red bell peppers the most Iā€™ve notices he holds the small broccoli pieces just to eat the tip off then flings it. I may need to move his cage in the living room, itā€™s by the front door up against the kitchen wall so coming from the kitchen he cannot see us coming. I have another wall I could try putting him against to see if that helps him. He does have a sleep cage in a room on the other side of the house that way hes sure to get all the sleep necessary. I will go read your post now, again thank you for taking the time to send advice ā¤ļø

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Sounds like all good stuff :)
Remember he's only been with you a week!
Sounds like he is already well loved and cared for.

Just more sensitive to stress right now. Abd after reading your reply definitely think cage needs to go in a different spot. Darn em burds get the best spot in the house!

Should get better with toys. Quakers are pretty bold with new stuff usually
You might expand his self choice of moving around. I use ceiling hooks and fishing line to hang big spiral rope hoops and cargo nets and stuff , yiu can hang them to be st head hight or inch higher than above your other perch areas, and above his cage.

Can't wait to see more pics!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
We have two large macaw size cages, in a small house, so the birds donā€™t just get the best spaceā€¦they get ALL the space!

Lots of pet stores will tell you the birds can eat just seeds. Itā€™s an easy sell, seeds are expensive, and most birds will gladly eat them. But itā€™s not usually the best diet. Itā€™s too much fat, too many calories, not enough vitamins. Many parrots do well on a mix of chop (and not all veggies and beans are safe), pellets (a high-end brand like Harrisons is good) and some nuts/treats. The Quaker forum here will have good advice, and there are separate channels for diet that discuss foods that are toxic for different birds. I will say at least no chocolate, no raw kidney beans, no avocado, no onionsā€¦but thatā€™s not a full list, and some pretty tasty things for us will poison birds.

Thanks again for taking this little monster, I mean feathered sweetheart, into your life!

OP
B

BigBranton

Nov 2, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
I took our sweet Branton to the vet today and received some not so good news and now I am anxious. The vet saw where he had bit his nail and said he didnā€™t think that was from him biting, he said it appeared that they clipped his nail too short and since he was uncomfortable he has been picking at itā€¦then after some talk he ( the vet) said I do need to send you home with some antibiotics because he has an infection, i contacted the owner of the store to ask for an extended warranty since he only offers a 10 day warranty and we are on day 7 so who knows if he will. Iā€™m so worried I know itā€™s only been a short 7 days but we are all attached to our sweet addition and I may be naive but I think he is bonding well to us too. Iā€™ve left his cage open since getting home and giving him his antibiotics and heā€™s followed me from room to room while I clean up. I just hope he is okay and makes a full recoveryšŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

Attachments

• 122B9F34-59A2-401B-99F1-644C53159821.jpeg
    122B9F34-59A2-401B-99F1-644C53159821.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 139

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
gorgeous baby
Fantastic you got in with vet
I forgot how they like to trim nails before sending you home with them.
Is it the foot infected or other infection?
Hope speedy recovery! They do steal your heart fast

OP
B

BigBranton

Nov 2, 2021
Parrots
Quaker

Just more sensitive to stress right now. Abd after reading your reply definitely think cage needs to go in a different spot. Darn em burds get the best spot in the house!

You might expand his self choice of moving around. I use ceiling hooks and fishing line to hang big spiral rope hoops and cargo nets and stuff , yiu can hang them to be st head hight or inch higher than above your other perch areas, and above his cage.

gorgeous baby
Fantastic you got in with vet
I forgot how they like to trim nails before sending you home with them.
Is it the foot infected or other infection?
Hope speedy recovery! They do steal your heart fast
Other infection he gave antibiotics because of him sneezing didnā€™t mention exactly what but said it was alarming to him, it wasnā€™t anything I did he said to keep doing what Iā€™m doing and to research more about their diet to try mimic if he were to be in the wild. He doesnā€™t have any drainage or anything with his eyes though which the vet said was good signs.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I'm sorry to hear about your feathered friend. I hope he feels better. You'll have to let us know what the store had to say about the nails, and warranty.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Im Branton's Auntie now ! Quakers are my love, I have 4.
Definitely not something you did.
Excellent to catch a systematic illness as early as possible.
Chlamydia psittaci is real possibility its common. Its treatable and doxycline is the drug of choice for 45 days. It's treated for so long because it likes to go dormant and hide. Many parrots can have a chronic hidden form only to break with active infection years later.
Not that I can say from here what your birds has.. I'm just sharing from my experience.

If I hadn't recommended weight checks yet, let me so. Having a digital kitchen scale and weigh in grams your bird weekly and log, daily when health issues. This weight check can be a life saver , as most burds start dropping weight when any health issues. And weight checks let's you pick this up way before the " sick burd symptoms " because burds hide being sick. So when you have duck burd symptoms they are usually critically ill.

Extra warmth is very healing and supportive fir duck birds. I recommend radiant heat , never a heat lamp. I use sweeter heater, but many use the K&H cage warmer.

Burds also burn up 3x the calories when sick, so go ahead and have a millet spray available, offer a little warm cooked plain pasta, any foods they like within reason. Not sugary foods or fruits as digestive imbalance.

Little info on potential possible , could have bern exposed at pet store , at breeders, from other people who have parrots. Its just one of those things that's in parrot population. ( many birds never have symptoms, or have mild symptoms and recover, but young birds can become very sick and even die. ),

Supporting care tips

Last edited:
OP
B

BigBranton

Nov 2, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
I'm sorry to hear about your feathered friend. I hope he feels better. You'll have to let us know what the store had to say about the nails, and warranty.
He has completely ghosted me. He posted on social media today but canā€™t return my message. After googling the pet store Iā€™ve seen so many other negative reviews, šŸ˜£ I shouldā€™ve done my research first. I knew I wanted a Quaker but couldnā€™t find a small mom and pop type breeder near me.

Most Reactions