Question about Lighting

Pionus

Feb 3, 2011
Media
snow covered Canada
Parrots
White-capped Pionus-9yrs & a Peachfaced Lovebird-2yrs (for now...)
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what kind of lighting (full spectrum?) you use for your birds? Or your opinion on lightning? And if you use lighting for your birds, what brand/type do you use?
I know there's been questions on this before, but i'm mostly interested on what everyone uses (or not uses :p )

Thx

Last edited:

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I do use full spectrum lighting. I use Featherbrite. I use the incandescent spiral bulbs bacause I do not have room for flourescent. I think flourescent is the better way to go.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I use Avain Sun purchased through Dr.Foster/Smith but I have to tell you I just re ordered the third one. They are replacing it again because the lamp (not bulb) just quits for no obvious reason at all. When you have their light bulbs they do not fit into any other lamp. If this one goes bad that will be the end of that kind.

GC are you satisfied with featherbright and what watt bulb do you use??

Last edited:

Miriam

Feb 1, 2011
New York
Parrots
Buddy our Quaker parrot and Daisy our Cockatiel and Saphira our Eclectus!
My Ekkie will be right next to the window...she'll get sun and can move out of it when she wants...do you think I need to add more light than that?

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
My Ekkie will be right next to the window...she'll get sun and can move out of it when she wants...do you think I need to add more light than that?

They made windows for the purpose of blocking out the uvb light otherwise we will tan even while IN the house.:p For this reason being next to a window does not help but certainly does make your fid happy in other ways.:D

You can hang a uvb light above the cage, all uvb lights emits uva but not the other way around.;)

Something that has made me think a lot is, what does our parrots see while in our homes? Normal lights does not emit uva - so in what colours do they see? Since my girl got an outdoor cage she basically REFUSES to come inside even if it rains! Is it because all her colour disappears the moment she is inside?
a48ff585.gif

OP
Pionus

Pionus

Feb 3, 2011
Media
snow covered Canada
Parrots
White-capped Pionus-9yrs & a Peachfaced Lovebird-2yrs (for now...)
They made windows for the purpose of blocking out the uvb light otherwise we will tan even while IN the house.:p For this reason being next to a window does not help but certainly does make your fid happy in other ways.:D

Hmmmm... I burn in the car, with the windows up... Fell asleep once with one side against the window and it burnt so red... I looked like two-face...

Do the compact bulbs (spiral ones) really harm a birds eyes?
(i read this in an article while attempting to do research on which bulb is better)

Last edited:

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Unfortunately the little uvb that you might have received through the glass is not even 1% enough to produce vitamin D.

There is definitely not enough research done on the lights for parrots. UVB lights have been used for many-many years on reptiles and the spiral lights did cause eye infection - bad eye infection.:( The best is to use the tube especially because our fids do not sit and bask under a light like a reptile. With a tube you can cover the complete cage. One of the most important things is that the light must be at the exact distance from the cage as stipulated on the box.

Last edited:

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Hmmmm... I burn in the car, with the windows up... Fell asleep once with one side against the window and it burnt so red... I looked like two-face...

Maybe the 'snow covered Canadian' windows are not as thick as ours who have sun shine 365 days a year.:p It is a studied fact that UVB rays are blocked by windows and will never produce Vitamin D.;)

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
Wildheart has a great thread about this that is somewhere near the middle/top of active topics. I recommend you check it out. I learned a lot!!!

tlcgourdine

Jan 10, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
6 yr old Quaker - Poncho
12 yr old African Grey(Timneh)
Bailey
To be honest this topic frustrates the life out of me. I recently went to purchase avian lighting here in Ottawa, Canada only to be told that the store was advised to stop selling it because there was reason to believe that it could cause seizures/damage to birds...I then proceeded to call the avian Doctor who advised this, Dr. Robin Roscoe the receptionist said yes this was true and that the Doctor was still researching and could not offer any other advice than to call back in a couple of months to see if they had any further information, until then I was advised not to use it!!!

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
What type of light did you purchase, can you post a picture of this so we all can see?

I cant find any evidence of what you are saying and none of the uvb manufacturers that I personally use know anything about this. I also phoned our avian vet Dr. Brett Russell and he knows nothing about this. FreeMe: Sponsors

Maybe the shop carried a make that are new? I personally will not buy from any body but Mega-ray and Zoomed because I know they have been in the business for MANY-MANY years.

The only things that I did find about seizures is below:

Seizures: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options as well as Prevention

tlcgourdine

Jan 10, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
6 yr old Quaker - Poncho
12 yr old African Grey(Timneh)
Bailey
What type of light did you purchase, can you post a picture of this so we all can see?

I cant find any evidence of what you are saying and none of the uvb manufacturers that I personally use know anything about this. I also phoned our avian vet Dr. Brett Russell and he knows nothing about this. FreeMe: Sponsors

Maybe the shop carried a make that are new? I personally will not buy from any body but Mega-ray and Zoomed because I know they have been in the business for MANY-MANY years.

The only things that I did find about seizures is below:

Seizures: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options as well as Prevention

Wildheart, I actually did NOT purchase one, as they pulled all avian lighting from the shelf!!

I have also looked everywhere for information to back this up but to no avail....this is why I am so frustrated. This Doctor is the only certified Avian spe******t in Ottawa, I don't understand why she would do this???GRrrrrr

My husband and I have found a store in Montreal (2hr drive) that have a pretty good reputation for Avian supplies and knowledge, we are hoping to make the trip soon. I hate to go against a doctors order but with everyone on this forum and the loads of info I can't help but think I am being mislead...So Wildheart I thank you for the information, as well as so many others on this forum. I will be calling the store in Montreal to ask if they carry Mega-ray or Zoomed.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Linky where did you buy the light for Sterretjie's cage?
What make is it?
Did you purchase it here in S.A. I hope so.................
Mishka and Sterretjie have the same cage, want the same lighting, especially as winter is approaching.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Ant you dont need a uvb light.:D We have more than enough sun right through winter and summer. Remember our last winter had days that was in their low 20's even anything above 15 is really ok for our birds as long as there isn't any wind. Even my reptiles were outside in the winter and they are suppose to be kept at temps above 35. They actually enjoyed the winter sun more than the summer sun because it really gets too hot.

SA does not sell it yet, you have to order it at a price and with all our sun it really isn't worth it. ;)

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
The only reason why Sterretjie has a light is because I had to order for my reptiles so I ordered for her as well. That was BEFORE I got the outdoor cage.;) When that light expires I am not going to buy a new light unless we get snow and what not but I very much doubt that.:D

Most Reactions

Latest posts