Ralphie- perch potato anonymous

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
He's supposed to have 3 more doses of doxy, I can't give it to him. He got so flustered, so rattled and wheezing I couldn't...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

have you tried to hide it in a food?-- plain oatmeal with mashed fruit, a bit of a nilla wafer (not healthy, but could work), sweet potato, rice, potato, fruit or veg baby food (barring any fortification, avocado, salt, meat etc)etc..

If you live near the vet, if you can take him in, they may be willing to administer the dose too

Last edited:
OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
He's supposed to have 3 more doses of doxy, I can't give it to him. He got so flustered, so rattled and wheezing I couldn't...

have you tried to hide it in a food?-- plain oatmeal with mashed fruit, a bit of a nilla wafer (not healthy, but could work), sweet potato, rice, potato, fruit or veg baby food (barring any fortification, avocado, salt, meat etc)etc..

If you live near the vet, if you can take him in, they may be willing to administer the dose too
He refuses to take it in anything. Anything. Even pureed nuts. Vet is over an hour away.
He'll just.... miss a dose, get it tomorrow at the vets. [emoji3064]

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'm sorry :(

We are behind you though---I know it's hell.

OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
NOT PNEUMONIA. air sacs clear, trachea clear, lungs clear, everything visible is normal. Back to square one, why is he regurgitating and now gurgling(which is localized somewhere in his head)
Responds to antibiotics, that's telling.

We know a million things its not. Some of the x-rays below.
d092f16f8ba886faeb27649b10196379.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thanks for sharing.
Did they screen for heavy metal poisoning, like chronic zinc toxicity?
How did his blood work look?
Did tgey do a gram stain check for yeast overgrowth?
You might find this link on x rays interesting.
https://lbah.com/avian/bird-x-rays/

OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
Look at this!
He has BBQ with us tonight(his baked sweet potato, which I'd never tried, he hates them frozen/ reheated) and he LOVED it! (Sorry, no messy face pics)
He likes going places!
New words, "yeah", and meow, like a cat... he also sings. Horribly. when I sing...
And... he's climbing down from his perch to get to what he wants.
Climbed off his travel cage today, got into my bag, pulled out his target stick, climbed back up, and used it to scratch his head.
He flew to dh from his perch, landed perfectly, unbidden. Didn't like being ignored.
And....I bought this kabob 2 days ago. It's his second one.
Look at Ralphie being a bird!

(Update- bayrtil/prednisone combo is working. 7 days prescribed, watching for any side effects. No diagnosis officially. All tests came back perfectly normal. We are thinking environmental at this point, searching for household threats and looking at installing purifier in the hvac system (and bought a brand new steam cleaner to do his cage and tons of other stuff. Old one just did floors) .... however, we still believe he had this... whatever... when we brought him home, and didn't fully clear it the first time around. )

Aaaaannnd..... it's pretty much gone between picture and posting.....
6879d8946acb20b9dd5c9bfc8de1628e.jpg
c164f07efd1eb5fb06c3623bc2ca8b70.jpg

OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
An Amazon is an Amazon is an Amazon..... lol

Ralph. Is. Hormonal.

Ralph screams. Ralph has days where he does not cease making very loud noises.
He loves bird TV. Especially when African Greys are featured. (His response is even a little disturbing lol)

I believe we are well past whatever issue kept him from being active, healthy, playful.

I'm currently rewarding any word or moment of silence I can capture with the hope of phasing out the ear piercing not word screeches.

More words in his vocabulary;
-YEAH (said with the gusto of a U2)
-Anyways (usually wren someone is on the phone)
-birdy birdy

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hormones!! LOL, we have to listen to Salty make love to his toys every morning, clucking away, with what can only be described as a leer on his little face. It'll pass. I am so glad he is responding to treatment and doing better!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I tend to rejoice the loud Amazons as it is commonly a statement of being a bit healthier! An Amazon that is silent is an Amazon that is either sleeping or sick!

We are in the weaning days of Hormonal Season. As the day becomes longer the natural season slides away. That said, an Amazon that is not getting at least matching sleep to the solar night in your area can slip into a non-seasonal Hormonal flow.

Look closely at the Amazon Body Language Thread and understand the basics of an Amazon spinning-up and loosing control. When you see it, provide them room to cool-off as they have no control over it's onset and flow level. If you excite them, the flow automatically increases.

OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
I tend to rejoice the loud Amazons as it is commonly a statement of being a bit healthier! An Amazon that is silent is an Amazon that is either sleeping or sick!

We are in the weaning days of Hormonal Season. As the day becomes longer the natural season slides away. That said, an Amazon that is not getting at least matching sleep to the solar night in your area can slip into a non-seasonal Hormonal flow.

Look closely at the Amazon Body Language Thread and understand the basics of an Amazon spinning-up and loosing control. When you see it, provide them room to cool-off as they have no control over it's onset and flow level. If you excite them, the flow automatically increases.
Lol... he's very easily spun up.

And far too obvious about his.... method of.... relieving the..... obsessing.... behavior.

I can say I'm not as flattered as one might think that my usual greeting is the force that pushes that particular button. [emoji38]

I am, however, happy to report that this is a fairly easily avoided issue. I simply put forth the perch rather than my hand to ask for step up, do not offer a treat for step up, never approach if his tail is flared, walk away if he comes down from his play top, be sure not to approach on the left side of his perch, and never if my hair is down and my eye at the same level as his food bowl on top of his cage, or at noon, or after having been gone from his sight, or in the morning right after breakfast, or after placing him atop his cage after a shower, or after having been outside in the sunshine, and never, ever, EVER try to talk to him when there are birds, especially Amazon's, on the TV.
See? Easy peasy.

Much like owning a Mogwai.

Btw... I wish I could post videos... Ralph imitates my laugh and I've got it on cue now!
We're having regular training sessions in the mornings and usually in the evenings, and he initiates training and "begs" with tricks/ words he knows.

Today while sitting in the window, Ralphie whistled a 7 note tune with a 3 note "chorus" I've never heard before. An eerie and haunting sound. Beautiful.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
One of the little known joys of Rescued Parrots is when these jewels pop-out! They are a joy to behold!

Sailboat you are so right!!! My rescue Penny when she began to enjoy life again, trust had that bright light in her eyes!!@ it's so amazing!! She bloomed into the sweetest and she funniest burd I've ever had, she loves to pull pranks and jokes! From the sad angry mess. To now, wow.

Orbit from non stop screaming snd fear. To the gentle love, is also a joy. When he jumps on my shoulder he always says awww...( cuz I say aww little baby cuz I'm so happy he trusts me now.He was so unhappy and misunderstood before...

I wish everyone could make room for a rescue

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
One of the little known joys of Rescued Parrots is when these jewels pop-out! They are a joy to behold!

Sailboat you are so right!!! My rescue Penny when she began to enjoy life again, trust had that bright light in her eyes!!@ it's so amazing!! She bloomed into the sweetest and she funniest burd I've ever had, she loves to pull pranks and jokes! From the sad angry mess. To now, wow.

Orbit from non stop screaming snd fear. To the gentle love, is also a joy. When he jumps on my shoulder he always says awww...( cuz I say that cyz I'm so happy he trusts me now.He w as so unhappy and misunderstood before...

I wish everyone could make room for a rescue

Yes, the joys just keep coming!
That transition point is such a joy! You are so correct regarding that moment that they begin to Trust!

OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
Laurasea. I want to adopt another, but it seems the places I have available to me to even find a parrot are a huge risk to Ralph.
(Bird fairs)

There are really no breeders within my driving range, only one shop (where we got Ralph, he only sells rehomed birds, but his prices are the same as breeder prices for weaned birds. I'm not gonna tell you what we paid for Ralph)

And the only other birds available are budgies, and maybe cockatiels if I drive 2 plus hours and they happen to have one.

OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
Plucking?
Ralph has been losing feathers over the last few days. Seems more than it should be, did just see one fall on its own, but worried this might be plucking, especially since I noticed some bald spots after his bath. (Pictures of this are, back, legs, back of neck)
Can't tell if they're cut or natural.
Help?
Ps, this is his smaller sleep cage, he's only in it to sleep, and if we'll be gone for very long. (So the feathers on the bottom are from today from 7:30-10am)
His huge cage is outside as an aviary, he's got a tree and multiple perches he's on all day. He likes the play top on this cage. Feathers on top (second pic) are from yesterday and day before.
08a931c76b924763edf845af69bfbc1c.jpg
9baa891b9cd176d4d43bb8458ceb3726.jpg
e9c9c597e3f7c1c4a0daa058c7bc3a07.jpg
d72680e44680c67d217600e66ae15f2d.jpg
b5de32a74ae87149586350a6a2e3180b.jpg
f2cbb920c7d858147f164d3ee964d07e.jpg
e34da465dec308a2d50c84bfea4f4cc5.jpg
7a736c61443f526f0f24f6bf3b939c76.jpg

a519239f1d501ee198feac316a319a1a.jpg
5730ad949e7b4e0dd7d9372d47a6469f.jpg

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes he is plucking.
Hmmm
The standard recommendation, vet check, i know you have, fill the cage full of stuff like you have pictureed, lots and lots of stuff to shred and tear up, increase foraging, good diet, aim fir 6 hours out of cage time, increae choice, like choice if movement by flight ir connection of perches so explore large areas, add swings and things thst turn and dip, ladders things thst are challenge.
I use ceiling hooks and fishing line to hang those huge spiral rooes, that dip and weave abd turn a little when they climb on them, tgey love thst, increase choice of taking a bath or nit by offering a large shallow dish, increase personal interaction time. Identify any stress and work to reduce. Always greet tge furst moment you get up, say hello and buy when going or coming, so they feel included.

I recommend a little greek yogurt with live Acidophilus and lactobacilli listed in the cultures no artificial sweetners, twice a week a teaspoon is enough. Since he has been on all those antibiotics.

If I haven't shared ir yiu haven't read this article yet give it a read.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Body feather loss and a health far less stressful place commonly results in natural feather loss. As their Energy reserve fills, plus as the days become longer and in the great white North when the sunshines far more often, it is common for them to begin molting.

Commonly, when our Amazons reach that point, they molt. Combine a comfortable Parrot with a restored energy well and one's home can become the site of a party where you bird has invited all the friends over for a preening party.

The clue between molting and plucking is the continuation of the feathers. If they hare heavily damaged. Look at plucking. IF not, likely molting.

Commonly, our DYH Amazon seasonally moths in late May early June. And, our house truly looks like five Amazons had stopped by and had a mothing party!

FYI: The bare spots are concerning and as stated above, reason enough for a trip back to the Vet.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
There is never bare skin with a normal molt. They shouldn't even ever look patchy.
You haven't ever seen a wild bird thst is healthy look patchy.

One year my burds looked a little rough during molt, earlier in the year I had pushed pellets abd almost eliminated seeds. After that I increased seed and add protein rich foods before and during molts. Never had them look anything less than perfect since thst no matter how heavy the molt.
Molting is a stressful time on a parrots body. Most of the articles I researched said to increase protein during this time. Feathers are 91% protein, 8% water, 1% fat. Unfortunately those articles had copy rights. Your birds feathers weigh more than their skeleton. So takes aot if calories to replace them. It's also a time that a poor diet will be more apparent, as will any underlying illness.

Below is article on molting
https://www.vetzone.com.au/Birds/Ar...380/Moulting-in-Caged-Birds.aspx#.YGNV21MpBt1

https://birdtricksstore.com/blogs/birdtricks-blog/what-feathers-tell-you-about-your-parrot-s-health

Last edited:
OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
Thank you all, I just witnessed 4! Feathers fall as he was playing.
I've never seen him pulling at himself.
Do they hide their plucking?
The only times he seems stressed is when we have to leave him.
He is seriously more active than ever, tearing up toys, learning new words- on cue, eating a more varied diet, and having some time outside on warm days(wind is more an issue than cool atm in Oklahoma)

He likes the preening type toys more than wood blocks. He doesn't like to chew hard things. I'm going to move from natural straw type materials to cardboard type toys to try and work him up to more solid textures.

He likes bird TV.

He has a fetish for African Greys. [emoji15]

He is terrified of standing water.
Sink, bowl, bottom of bath in shower, big bowl, small bowl, doesn't matter.

Shower only. He gets a shower about twice a week.

ETA forgot to mention, he's gone from 370g during his illness to 394!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts