Ralphie- perch potato anonymous

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Congratulations on weight gain!!!!
He can be molting, and thsts causing a little plucking. So you are seeing the normal feathers fall out. , I never catch my plucker plucking , or only very rarely over the years.
I think actually catching thrm in the act of plucking is pretty rare....?

Most all thees fears can be overcome. Leave a sturdy shallow dish out with an inch and a half of water, keep it fresh. Just ignore it, don't try and tempting him. Parrots are naturally curious, one day he will explore.

OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
Question; does watching birds on TV engage and entertain, or stress them?
Ralph gets very loud. Gets as close as possible to the TV, flock calls, says every word he knows, screeches and screams.
He also watches regular TV and movies. (Mostly kids shows) and responds in context, yelling at a scare, laughing at funny things, "ooohhh" ing at cool things....

But idk if it's good for him or stressful to have birds on TV. It's certainly unpleasant for the rest of the house. You can hear him from the shop. With the radio on. While you're on the phone. And deaf.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Same Rules as with very young children!

FYI: Take care of programs that feature or may have "raptor." Our Julio can spot a raptor in a flash, whether on TV, backyard or road trip!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty loves to watch parrot videos on You tube. Yeah he talks to them, looks for the rest of the bird behind the screen too. He has learned a lot of things to say and sing from Youtube. Mernino, she sings the cool part from the Magic Flute, Salty learned that from her.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo6tb6kj8MA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo6tb6kj8MA[/ame]
watch

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Question; does watching birds on TV engage and entertain, or stress them?
Ralph gets very loud. Gets as close as possible to the TV, flock calls, says every word he knows, screeches and screams.
He also watches regular TV and movies. (Mostly kids shows) and responds in context, yelling at a scare, laughing at funny things, "ooohhh" ing at cool things....

But idk if it's good for him or stressful to have birds on TV. It's certainly unpleasant for the rest of the house. You can hear him from the shop. With the radio on. While you're on the phone. And deaf.

When I worked I left on kids cartoons for my parrot. She became very stressed. So one day I watched the kids cartoons. I was shocked at the violence!!! So I switched to toddler TV. My burd was much calmer after that!

OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
He gets the most riled up when it's other parrots, on youtube. He loves Lillian and Einstein. I think. At least, he makes a huge ruckus.
e40452bd26fa4166ad65b653f8e91bc4.jpg
1584b42de20377cf83fc85cd4e45d24a.jpg

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Green Cheek Amazons go crazy for almost all Amazon YT videos.
The one they like the most is.

[ame="https://youtu.be/sf0qUfZcCvU"]Talking Amazon Parrot - YouTube[/ame]

they also like the channel

Tico and the man.

[ame="https://youtu.be/L4iQWxVh4pU"]Double yellow head blues - YouTube[/ame]

Bingo my YNA will watch the videos but he shows no excitement over them.

my CAG … knows when I am watching Einstein and she sometimes whistles back at him but otherwise shows no outward interest in the video itself.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Amy will watch YT vids for a bit but doesn't comment on content :eek:
As said many times vocalization is either in words in the house usually in the am, or Amazon speak in the car.

Jim

OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
Omigosh!
Yesterday Ralph was extra clingy to me(highly unusual) after dad apparently did a poor job waking him up... and receiving a bite for his stupidity.
So, I needed to use the bathroom, for which I needed both hands, and I needed Ralph to want to be elsewhere....

Long story short. I ended up raising my arm flat handed(our cue to fly) and said, "go"....
He flew towards dad, and did A FULL BOOMERANG BACK TO ME!

*squee!* I'm so proud!

But he did end up just sitting on the towel rack watching me in the wc.
6e68d04af7f706b8c4892a06f5b4f503.jpg

OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
Okay help.... please.....

We cannot leave Ralphie alone. Ever. At all.
For example :
Over the weekend we were working outside on building a pipe fence corral to replace the old one that a maverick steer showed us was merely a suggestion to stay put.

So, we were outside all day, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Ralph was in his room with the (smaller) TV watching Einstein and others.
We stopped to interact with him every time we came inside for anything (I have the bladder of a squirrel) and spent our regular couple of hours in the evening with him.

Monday, yesterday, I had to take my dad to the ER. (Not a broken hip, but herniated disk)
And Ralph was alone with the same set up all day by himself. Cage open, he could move from tree stand to play stand on top of his cage, and we've got a nanny cam where I can see and hear him. (Going to get a pet cam that let's me talk to him too)

The result of having to do this with him even one day is squawking, biting, lunging, cage aggression, throwing toys, and if you're lucky, only the amazon dance of death.

We took him on a short ride last night after I finally got home, he had been squawking (not screaming) for a long time and had threatened to bite dh. So, he'd moved him, on his tree(wheels) to the living room.

This trip seemed to improve his mood greatly, as well as a short training session(pecans man.) Until we got back home.

I have two bites to prove it.

We don't have to be gone or outside very often at all. That was one of the points we discussed before looking to adopt a parrot.
He comes outside with us whenever the weather permits, which right now isn't consistent.
But I feel like Ralph has no confidence, I'm not sure how to teach him to be okay on his own. And this applies to being on the other side of a wall or door for 30 seconds, as well.

I've tried playing peekaboo. I've tried the old trick to get horses to stop being buddy sour; separate but seen, together, separate not seen, together..... and we've been doing this from pretty much day one.

This morning, he's refused to come out to me, climbed on top of the cage, lunging, even offers of shower, not even music has enticed him to step up.
(I do not force him. We've discovered that he will always step up to a stick, because he's been forced. It's not a fear of hands as we were told, but bad training. Bad handling. And he'd begun to bite after stepping up onto the stick. People are horrible. and I feel horrible for not having seen it before I did.)

Advice? I haven't found anything through a search of threads.

ETA: patience won out. Got his weight(he likes that for some reason) then he was happy to have a shower. We'll see if his mood improves more than that. But I have a Dr appointment this afternoon. Sigh.
Wonder if they'll let me bring him.

Wonder if he's just being sensitive to my mood, again. You guys won't believe this, but, about a month after we brought Ralphie home, a friend of mine was murdered by her husband. That was one of the first questions I had for you all.
Yesterday, I found out that 2 of my good friends, a mother/ daughter truck driving team, were killed in a crash on Sunday.
The worst part is that we had dinner at our favorite restaurant and I'dbeen laughing and talking about how I missed them and couldn't wait to get together for margaritas when they're back home again, which was about every 6-8 months.
I'm OK. But I've learned that Ralphie is not fooled by fake smiles and happy voices.

Plus I know he's hormonal, and he's agitated because he's covered in pin feathers, still not sure if he's plucking, hardly ever a feather in his cage now after that one week.
02faa968880eb35e1af2923be776c6a9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
Gosh that was a lot of info in one post, I'm sorry.

OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
Aaand 2 days of working like we've only just met and we're back to normal. [emoji3061]

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Do you have a window where he can see you when you're outside?

It seems that once they can define a place where they can see you outside, they are less concerned when you go outside. Words have meaning, so the combinations of outside, having seen you outside and that you are coming back at about this time all goes to helping them become comfortable with you not being there.

Yes, they will be upset when you're not there all the time. Lots of 'missed you so much,' helps.

Covering up emotions just does not work with Parrots in general and Amazons in specific. Best to be honest with them and let them be part of working thru the emotions.

OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
Do you have a window where he can see you when you're outside?

It seems that once they can define a place where they can see you outside, they are less concerned when you go outside. Words have meaning, so the combinations of outside, having seen you outside and that you are coming back at about this time all goes to helping them become comfortable with you not being there.

Yes, they will be upset when you're not there all the time. Lots of 'missed you so much,' helps.

Covering up emotions just does not work with Parrots in general and Amazons in specific. Best to be honest with them and let them be part of working thru the emotions.
Yes, we have the big bay window in front and the French doors in back. Thing is, he wants to be there, but he wants his bird TV too, but they're in different places. He does this with us, also. I want the water, but I want the couch. I will not accept that the couch and water can't be in the same place.

I've used the windows in our separate but visible games. I'll keep working on it.

Side note; now that I've gotten past the biting issue.... he's not receptive to dh.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Amazon's have a strong belief: If you can't be with the one you Love, Love the one you're with! They are not above switch affections when something happens to shack their belief in an individual. It's all part of that: Only good thing happens when Humans are around! Amazons expect lots of interaction and can switch if they choose.

It is always important to remember that a favored Human gets back in the 'I like you zone' faster than the one on the outside looking in. Enjoy the joy now as it may change tomorrow!

Most Reactions