Random Aggression

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Last night Puck had a bout of aggression. I came home, and when I picked him up he just started biting HARD! I ended up having to put my hand near the ground and shake him off, because he wouldn't stop! He went over to his cage and climbed up to the top, and that was that, and he was fine for the rest of the night.

This morning he was vicious! I can't figure out why. He keeps lunging at me. I tried to distract him with a toy (usually if he's feeling bitey he's happy to bite whatever's in front of him), and he attacked it for a while, but then decided to go around the toy to my hand again! I put him in a time out in his sleep cage for a few minutes while I showered, and he was okay for a few minutes. I gave him breakfast, and he was okay until he was done with breakfast. He keeps running at me and trying to bite me. I eventually picked him up with his ladder, and put him in his big cage, and of course he wants to come out now (he's not usually in it when I'm home), but I don't want to get attacked!

Yesterday (before the first attack) he was rolling on his back voluntarily to play with me. It was soooooo cute and fun!

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? What's the best way to handle this? Is there something I can do, or just wait the mood to pass?

Music? Chamomile tea (can you give chamomile tea to birds)? Does he need more toys? I felt like I didn't have enough (he's always occupied with something, but I wanted more variety for in his cage), so I just ordered some.

Edit: about 15 minutes later, I opened his cage and he lunged at me aggressively again. :(

Last edited:

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i am so sorry to read this :(

reads like a day with nut, after so many wks of nut not biting, i am sporting a rather nice blood blister on my arm, now an a few bite marks,

although i am not wearing any today, nail varnish triggers nut

anyway there can be so many reasons to why puck has gone a tad grrrrr, with nut the mood just passes, reguardless of tactics i use, i can go softly softly, or ignore, i have even batted nut off me for repeated attacks

i now just stick to a routine, which seems to have helped with the flying attacks, but i still get occassional bites

there is nothing wrong with leaving puck in his cage when you are in, especially if he is this way out, as nuts routine is from sleep cage to main cage till 4/5 pm, even when we are in the house. to day she was out more and that could of been why she bit more??

to me they get angry over something, find the reason an if possible remove the trigger, but it can be a needle in the heystack search

there is no short term remedy, but they do get over it, can have a relaspe but once they are over the worse, the little tantrums after seem like a walk in the park lol

sorry i cannot give a better reply, but if i was to list all the tactics etc it'll be a novel

birdmama61

Apr 13, 2011
Does this only happen in his cage or near his cage ? If so then that is cage aggresion and you need to get him away from that cage and put him on a tstand if you have one and put him in a high traffic area where alot of people and things go back and forth . Do this for about a week or longer if he keeps up being pissy . I got this advice from a fellow forum member shreddedoakaviary . I hope this works for you .

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Does this only happen in his cage or near his cage ? If so then that is cage aggresion and you need to get him away from that cage and put him on a tstand if you have one and put him in a high traffic area where alot of people and things go back and forth . Do this for about a week or longer if he keeps up being pissy . I got this advice from a fellow forum member shreddedoakaviary . I hope this works for you .

He was away from his cage in our regular hangout area on/by the couch, although his travel/sleep cage was there. I usually put the cage on the loveseat at night so we can be close to each other at night. He doesn't spend much time in his cage when I'm home, and has never acted like this before.

I went to work for a few hours and came home, and now and he's acting pretty normal, except a bit louder than usual.

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Okay, he's back at it again. He was good for about half an hour. :-(

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
He's in his cage doing cute things begging to come out, but then when I put my hand up to the bars he bites it.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
He's in a bad mood, sometimes they just don't want to interact. Hope tomorrow is better. When Merlins like this, I just leave him alone.

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
I guess so! I'm just leaving him alone in his cage.

He keeps acting like he wants to interact, but when I go over to him he attacks. When I leave the room he calls EXTRA LOUD for me! Mixed signals!

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
That's what I'm doing. I just wish I knew how to help him feel better! He's been agitated about something today, even when he wasn't biting.

I can't help but wonder if he misses his old mommy.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
move the sleep cage out of sight if possible, un-till its bed time lol

as much as they can get territorial over there cages, the placing of the cage is also important, so he might have thought with the sleep cage being next to the coutch you was going to put him in,

but i could be wrong,

avi calm has been recommended to me for nut, but i have yet to find a supplier in the UK

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
He's still biting. :-(

He hangs out on top of his sleep cage a lot too, so I don't think that's the case.

I'll check avi calm out! I hope something helps.

Most Reactions

Latest posts