Random vicous bird aggression. Help!

Risue45

Dec 30, 2012
NY
Parrots
Chucho- Lesser Sulpher Crested Cockatoo
Hello. I've had my parrot for 8 years now, but I have only brung him once to a vet. Today randomly he started attacking me and biting me. He has never been like this ever! Usually he comes and cuddles, but just a few minutes ago he began to lunge and even fly at me in a furious attempt of attack. Is this abnormal? I'm very worried. I joined this just so I could get an answer. Please help. Thankyou:white1:

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Its breeding season for Toos right now. Too breeding season lasts from Nov-March in the US. If your Too is in fact a male, then his recent behavior makes sense. That is typical male Too behavior, esp one that might be going through a surge of hormones. Just my first thought, that may not be the reason for his behavior but its my first guess.

Have you had any changes to your image or to the house recently (changes mean: rearranging something, changes in your routine etc). When you handle him do you stroke him down his back? Has he ever tried to breed with you?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Welcome to the forum. maybe some too owners will come to the rescue. It could be the onset of hormones , mating season for your bird. Sounds like you could have a male bird. You should post a thread in the too section with lots more info.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
See , i knew they'd help you out.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Unfortunately male Toos and the word random attacks are synonymous. We were going to get another M2, a male but after Tommy found out what they can be like he said no. Even though I can handle random outburst of attacks, Tommy was not comfortable with it.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
In fact the last male M2 we looked at was breeding with Tommy and when the bird came to me and tried, I refused to allow him to breed with me (the foster home never stopped that behavior and said it was normal, when in fact it empowered him even more). Then he went back to Tommy and proceeded to attack him in multiple spots. I really think it was hormones and frustration about me not allowing him to breed. I would suggest not petting him down his back right now.

Limit your cuddling, that will elicit a breeding response. Make sure hes getting 12-14hours of sleep during this time of year. I think this year may be different for you because hes getting older. Male Toos are a handful by nature. I wouldn't let strangers handle him right now. Your really going to have to watch his body language closely, to try to prevent an attack from happening. I would simple put him up if you think an attack is coming. If he thinks at the slightest bit that you fear him, his aggression will increase by ten fold.

If hes flying across the room, well the obvious would be to clip his wings. However I don't recommend doing that. Not only could that make his aggression increase but it may also start unwanted plucking behavior. Toos are very sensitive to physically changes. I think getting to know his body language and preventing the attacks are the way to go. Its def going to take some patience, unfortunately March cant come soon enough. Good luck with him.

Just my opinion though, others may come up with other solutions or other possible causes, which is what is so good about forums. Welcome to the forum :)

Most Reactions