Re-homing my green cheek conure :(

chloe.millar

Sep 29, 2021
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hi there!
My name is Chloe, and I got Bree (my GGC) when I was 14. I did extensive research and felt extremely prepared to take care of her, and I was. Unfortunately due to mental health issues at that time, I was hospitalized, and when I got back my mother had gotten rid of her.
Fast forward and I get her back, we’re reunited for a year or so, and then I get legally emancipated. While I figure out my new living situation, my neighbors long term petsit, very kind. Now I’m 17, living with a friend, and just got Bree back. I’m transferring to university next year, and instantly knew I needed to find her a new home. So I guess I have a couple of questions:
- any advice on making this transition easier for her? I love her to the moon and just want her to be okay in her new situation
- any way you think I could keep her?
- other advice?
I know this is a somewhat unconventional situation, and rest assured, if I could go back I would certainly not have gotten a parrot if I knew where life was taking me. Now I just want to do what’s best for Bree while ensuring she gets proper attention and care.

Attachments

• 9AF5165B-D24D-495A-A554-C2E9183F50E4.jpeg
    9AF5165B-D24D-495A-A554-C2E9183F50E4.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 33324255-0598-451B-8BCD-71D7385B209E.png
    33324255-0598-451B-8BCD-71D7385B209E.png
    520.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 650C4D87-A6F0-4AEF-9D8F-9291B7C7CD7F.png
    650C4D87-A6F0-4AEF-9D8F-9291B7C7CD7F.png
    522.8 KB · Views: 96

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Chloe and Bree! You've learned many life lessons despite young age, kudos for self-improvement and aspiring to higher education. Universities have become more enlightened over time, perhaps Bree's status as therapy or comfort parrot may grant exemption. College life with a bird mandates significant accommodations and sacrifice. Only you can assess the best lifestyle choice. If you decide to re-home, the last, best gift to Bree is seeking a loving forever home.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Hi there!
My name is Chloe, and I got Bree (my GGC) when I was 14. I did extensive research and felt extremely prepared to take care of her, and I was. Unfortunately due to mental health issues at that time, I was hospitalized, and when I got back my mother had gotten rid of her.
Fast forward and I get her back, we’re reunited for a year or so, and then I get legally emancipated. While I figure out my new living situation, my neighbors long term petsit, very kind. Now I’m 17, living with a friend, and just got Bree back. I’m transferring to university next year, and instantly knew I needed to find her a new home. So I guess I have a couple of questions:
- any advice on making this transition easier for her? I love her to the moon and just want her to be okay in her new situation
- any way you think I could keep her?
- other advice?
I know this is a somewhat unconventional situation, and rest assured, if I could go back I would certainly not have gotten a parrot if I knew where life was taking me. Now I just want to do what’s best for Bree while ensuring she gets proper attention and care.

I truly hope for you two to always have each other. So, dear Chloe and Bree, my advice is that the two of you must discuss among yourselves on how to work hard to be together. As I am sure you both do, and no one's opinion is as important as yours.

This article in 2016 explains that parrot is able to provide a calming influence over those suffering from various levels of anxieties and PTSD. There is a growing use of parrots (and other creatures) as Emotional Support Animals (ESA). In fact, many of them can be registered as such.

Rehome is only a contingency plan, if all else failed. And you can ask us here again, should it come to this. But for now, the most important moment is the present moment with Bree. Be happy together and look for help to register her status as therapy or comfort parrot to grant exemption. Look for recent articles and ask around. You can do it.

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
I think it would be possible to live on campus with your parrot, however it will take research. On-campus dorms commonly do not allow any pets (even fish in some cases), so if you are planning to live in the dorms your first year you may want to double check with your university of choice. Off-campus housing (i.e. apartments) is a possibility of course and tend to be more lenient in terms of pets. Most apartments only care about cats and dogs, so you may be able to get away with a conure.

The next challenge would be roommates. Roommates are hit-or-miss at the best of time among humans, and parrots will complicate the decision. You have to play the role of educator and find someone willing to accept the sacrifices of owning a parrot - ya know, no teflon pans, no scented candles or sprays, not going to smoke inside, mindful of fumes in general, tolerant of periodic screaming in the daytime, doesn't own a cat, etc. If your financial situation is such that you will not need a roommate, then that is a great advantage.

The final consideration is your study schedule. If you are choosing a technical/STEM degree, then very likely you will have reduced free-time to spend with your bird. Nothing against other degrees, but as someone with one of the most challenging majors at my school, I was not in any way equipped to handle a bird my first few years (I was just happy to feed myself). I would leave for campus at 8 am and come back late at night in many cases. You also may find yourself wanting to become involved in campus life. If they are late-night activities, then this may not be impactful to a parrot that is awake with daylight, but is something to consider. And of course there is a certain degree of change that can occur as one studies and finds their interests, so what you want today may not be what you want 3 years from now. Carving out even the two hours of interaction time and time for caring for the pet itself can be a challenge even with the best managed of schedules.

I did ultimately get a parrot in my final year of school, however this was when I was living at home again, had a good understanding of what my schedule would be, and willing family members who would hang out with my parrot when I wasn't home. So it is possible but may be challenging to do in your first year. I wonder if perhaps there would be someone willing to temporarily foster her in your area? I know long-term fosters can be hard to find but I would imagine that would be the ideal scenario.

Just my two cents on owning a parrot during the college years, and good luck to you and Bree regardless of what you decide.

Last edited:
OP
chloe.millar

chloe.millar

Sep 29, 2021
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hi all!
Thank you so much for your responses! The lack of judgment here was really affirming and helpful, contrary to other parrot forms I've seen in the past.

In talking to the family I currently live with, my therapist, and of course careful personal consideration, I have decided to keep Bree, and it is perhaps the most valued self-oriented choice I've made in years. I didn't think she would remember me when I got her back, but she most certainly did and didn't stay mad nearly as long as I suspected she might.

Now she is a primary part of my daily routine and I feel so lucky to have her back in my life. I'm not sure how the whole college thing is going to go, I'll be going in as a junior so hopefully will be able to access some on-campus apartments, and will be registering her as an EMS as soon as possible.

Thanks again for all the advice and kind words. Happy birding!

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Yay! I am so glad you decided to keep her. I was able to take my dog with me to college and then everyone got a dog after meeting him. I did have to make sacrifices as not going out as much and making sure I did stay out all night. All things I'd do again. Wishing you and Bree the best of luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts