Re-homing our African Grey Buddy

Urstrulyme

Mar 9, 2024
Parrots
African Grey
Looking to rehome our 9 year old African Grey Buddy. We got him a year ago and me being disabled has made it a challenge to give him the attention and care he deserves. Located upstate Albany area NY. Comes with cage and toys. Used to pluck very badly but stopped. We had a house fire and he started plucking again but is getting better about it again. He talks A LOT and says I love you and gives kisses. He does get in bad moods and can bite but has 3 people in our family that he never bites.
IMG_0127.jpeg

Attachments

• 767A6C82-C6BF-4B7B-B665-7BC9A7226AFAsegment_video_2.mp4
    3.6 MB
  • IMG_9522.jpeg
    IMG_9522.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9523.jpeg
    IMG_9523.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9524.jpeg
    IMG_9524.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

vaderdtd

Apr 5, 2024
I am located in the Albany area looking to adopt an African Grey. Has Buddy already found a home?

OP
Urstrulyme

Urstrulyme

Mar 9, 2024
Parrots
African Grey
If your grey needs a home I can help... I have experience with African greys and plucking.
We are still looking/ trying to give him extra attention to help him. But we are still looking for a home for him

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
It's likely that the OP will not be able to access the PM system until they have had enough posts on the open forum. Any of the moderators will be happy to forward messages to/from if you like. Hope this helps :)

OP
Urstrulyme

Urstrulyme

Mar 9, 2024
Parrots
African Grey
It's likely that the OP will not be able to access the PM system until they have had enough posts on the open forum. Any of the moderators will be happy to forward messages to/from if you like. Hope this helps :)
I actually came across messages I didnā€™t know there was the option lol. Thank you!

Jamie O

Apr 12, 2024
Looking to rehome our 9 year old African Grey Buddy. We got him a year ago and me being disabled has made it a challenge to give him the attention and care he deserves. Located upstate Albany area NY. Comes with cage and toys. Used to pluck very badly but stopped. We had a house fire and he started plucking again but is getting better about it again. He talks A LOT and says I love you and gives kisses. He does get in bad moods and can bite but has 3 people in our family that he never bites.

Jamie O

Apr 12, 2024
Have you found a home for him yet? I'm interested in meeting him and can take him immediately if he's still available

OP
Urstrulyme

Urstrulyme

Mar 9, 2024
Parrots
African Grey
Have you found a home for him yet? I'm interested in meeting him and can take him immediately if he's still available
We are still looking for a home for Buddy if youā€™re still interested in meeting him

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty

Urstrulyme & Jamie O you need a minimum of 20 posted messages in order to send PMs to other members. PLease contact one of our mods, they will be happy to relay any messages back and forth.

OP
Urstrulyme

Urstrulyme

Mar 9, 2024
Parrots
African Grey

Urstrulyme & Jamie O you need a minimum of 20 posted messages in order to send PMs to other members. PLease contact one of our mods, they will be happy to relay any messages back and forth.

Do you mind messaging Jamie for me? We are still looking for a home for Buddy. Thank you.

dcfla

Apr 25, 2024
Parrots
We Have 3 Now Senior Pooches & One Paco. An Orange Winged Amazon.
Looking to rehome our 9 year old African Grey Buddy. We got him a year ago and me being disabled has made it a challenge to give him the attention and care he deserves. Located upstate Albany area NY. Comes with cage and toys. Used to pluck very badly but stopped. We had a house fire and he started plucking again but is getting better about it again. He talks A LOT and says I love you and gives kisses. He does get in bad moods and can bite but has 3 people in our family that he never bites.View attachment 59002
sure Wish We Could Help You. We Live in Florida So No Where, Unfortunately Near You. Please Be Very Careful With Who Ever You Do Re-Home Him to. We were forced to Re-Home a Cockatoo We had because at Same time We had a Sick Pup, I Was Very Ill & We Had Paco Long Before We Rescued Stella the Fella. She Was, I Hope Still Is a Beautiful Umbrella Cockatoo Who Only Loved Me. Period. Our Pup Was Near Death, She Actually Passed about 6 Weeks After I Rehomed Stella. But, We Gave Stella to a "Supposed" Bird Sanctuary Here in Brevard County, Well Respected, Problem? THEY SOLD HER To a Lady?? In Deland. I'd Written a No Kidding at Least 5 Pages of Likes & Her History, We'd Only had her Company for About 5 Years, But We Made Sure She Had Everything She Needed. Even Her Huge Cage & Toys & Food went with her. But, When I Made a Point of Saying I Always Wanted to know Where She Was & If By "Some Slim" They Said, Chance, She'd Be in A Different Place, I'd Know & I'd have the Chance to Get her Back. I Even GAVE A DONATION With Her! Long Story Short, When I Found Out Where She'd Been SOLD I Contacted the Woman & She Wanted Nothing but to Tell me She Was Fine & She was "ONE" of her Husbands Birds. I Followed Them on Facebook for a While & Checked On Her, Then I Saw Where Her Husband Got Sick & For All I know, He May have Passed, because She didn't Want to Communicate About "Stella" Any More. Now She's Listed As Just herself. B. Alexander. So I Lost Track of Knowing How Stella Was, Even If She was Still there. Broke My Heart, So, Please, There Are Much Worse Stories than these about when Any Animal Is Sold or "Given" & They Are Those That would Literally Haunt You For Life. I Don't Just "Talk" I Monthly Support 6 Different Rescues & Although It's Not $100 a Month for Each, it's a Lot. But, We'll Do Without "NEW" Stuff to Make Up for it. We're Fine But Animals Are Not. Ours Are, Yours Are, But For Far Too Long, Too Many Are Left Defenseless & Just Not Taken Care of, Abused, Neglected, Used to Make Money Then LEFT when they're Not "Money Makers" Any more. So, Please African Greys Are So So Intelligent, as All Are, But Those Greys Are Something Else. Can Mimic Anything & Everything Even Dialect. Wise Wise Birds. I Still Miss My Stella, Now Worried About Our Paco. But We Will Always Give Them Everything We Can & the Others We Try to Help, Hoping the Money is Put to The Best Use For THEM. Sorry for Another Book, I'm Very Passionate About Animals. Yes, We have Children, Real Ones, Grown with Their Own Also Now Mostly Grown, They've Always known & Some of them Are Like Us, About Animals, Not All, But 3 Out of 4 Isn't Bad, I Guess. Again, Good Luck & Please Keep Him As Long as It Takes to Find Him the Best Home & Not Just Someone Who'll Sell Him or Who knows What, Maybe they Can't Afford to Make Sure they Can eat right & Go to the VET if it Becomes Necessary. Those Expenses, Costs Are Like Everything Else, OUT OF SIGHT. Sad for the Animals Who Are Always Last...on the List.

OP
Urstrulyme

Urstrulyme

Mar 9, 2024
Parrots
African Grey
sure Wish We Could Help You. We Live in Florida So No Where, Unfortunately Near You. Please Be Very Careful With Who Ever You Do Re-Home Him to. We were forced to Re-Home a Cockatoo We had because at Same time We had a Sick Pup, I Was Very Ill & We Had Paco Long Before We Rescued Stella the Fella. She Was, I Hope Still Is a Beautiful Umbrella Cockatoo Who Only Loved Me. Period. Our Pup Was Near Death, She Actually Passed about 6 Weeks After I Rehomed Stella. But, We Gave Stella to a "Supposed" Bird Sanctuary Here in Brevard County, Well Respected, Problem? THEY SOLD HER To a Lady?? In Deland. I'd Written a No Kidding at Least 5 Pages of Likes & Her History, We'd Only had her Company for About 5 Years, But We Made Sure She Had Everything She Needed. Even Her Huge Cage & Toys & Food went with her. But, When I Made a Point of Saying I Always Wanted to know Where She Was & If By "Some Slim" They Said, Chance, She'd Be in A Different Place, I'd Know & I'd have the Chance to Get her Back. I Even GAVE A DONATION With Her! Long Story Short, When I Found Out Where She'd Been SOLD I Contacted the Woman & She Wanted Nothing but to Tell me She Was Fine & She was "ONE" of her Husbands Birds. I Followed Them on Facebook for a While & Checked On Her, Then I Saw Where Her Husband Got Sick & For All I know, He May have Passed, because She didn't Want to Communicate About "Stella" Any More. Now She's Listed As Just herself. B. Alexander. So I Lost Track of Knowing How Stella Was, Even If She was Still there. Broke My Heart, So, Please, There Are Much Worse Stories than these about when Any Animal Is Sold or "Given" & They Are Those That would Literally Haunt You For Life. I Don't Just "Talk" I Monthly Support 6 Different Rescues & Although It's Not $100 a Month for Each, it's a Lot. But, We'll Do Without "NEW" Stuff to Make Up for it. We're Fine But Animals Are Not. Ours Are, Yours Are, But For Far Too Long, Too Many Are Left Defenseless & Just Not Taken Care of, Abused, Neglected, Used to Make Money Then LEFT when they're Not "Money Makers" Any more. So, Please African Greys Are So So Intelligent, as All Are, But Those Greys Are Something Else. Can Mimic Anything & Everything Even Dialect. Wise Wise Birds. I Still Miss My Stella, Now Worried About Our Paco. But We Will Always Give Them Everything We Can & the Others We Try to Help, Hoping the Money is Put to The Best Use For THEM. Sorry for Another Book, I'm Very Passionate About Animals. Yes, We have Children, Real Ones, Grown with Their Own Also Now Mostly Grown, They've Always known & Some of them Are Like Us, About Animals, Not All, But 3 Out of 4 Isn't Bad, I Guess. Again, Good Luck & Please Keep Him As Long as It Takes to Find Him the Best Home & Not Just Someone Who'll Sell Him or Who knows What, Maybe they Can't Afford to Make Sure they Can eat right & Go to the VET if it Becomes Necessary. Those Expenses, Costs Are Like Everything Else, OUT OF SIGHT. Sad for the Animals Who Are Always Last...on the List.
Yes, itā€™s very hard because he is like a 4 year old and so smart. I feel guilty and am trying to do the best for him. We got him from a ā€œsanctuaryā€ rescue place someone had given up and they sold him to us for $2,000. I was kind of a little shocked because they were supposedly a non profit. Thank you for your advice on how to vet people. I read the admin advice post on when getting rid of a parrot and that was very helpful to me as well. Iā€™ve been back and forth with my decision, itā€™s very hard and he is just so extremely intelligent that I feel like he would experience some more trauma in his life and supposedly he had been abused and severely neglected at his home before the ā€œsanctuaryā€. So Iā€™m definitely not 100% on my choice, Iā€™ve had some friends interested but Iā€™ve felt it was more about showing off what he can do to guests then to actually do for him what he needs because he is very entertaining. Iā€™ve declined friends even so would have no problem declining strangers who didnā€™t seem like the right fit for his needs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts