Received a Hybrid African Gray

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
Nov. 15, I received a Hybrid African Gray; at least in my opinion it's a hybrid. It has the beak of a Timneh, is darker gray and the red (inner feather) of a Congo; altho the outer feather is black. It doesn't speak words, is cage protective and likes me being in sight and will step up. It has been going to the living room and perches where I place it and has even been going to my wife (if I place it there). If startled it will fly into the kitchen and back the length of the trailer. The bird was acquired about 1985 originally and didn't care for the husband but the wife became terminally ill. Hubby rehomed it and the rehomer gave it to me for coming to get it. All of us have been happy since, but then the rehomer and I talked on the phone a lot and when I went to get the bird. Typing is one thing, voice conversation is another thing. jh

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Glad to read you finally found a parrot! Greys are very cool burds.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I'm glad you finally got a bird! I hope it all continues to go well. Pics?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Nov. 15, I received a Hybrid African Gray; at least in my opinion it's a hybrid. It has the beak of a Timneh, is darker gray and the red (inner feather) of a Congo; altho the outer feather is black. It doesn't speak words, is cage protective and likes me being in sight and will step up. It has been going to the living room and perches where I place it and has even been going to my wife (if I place it there). If startled it will fly into the kitchen and back the length of the trailer. The bird was acquired about 1985 originally and didn't care for the husband but the wife became terminally ill. Hubby rehomed it and the rehomer gave it to me for coming to get it. All of us have been happy since, but then the rehomer and I talked on the phone a lot and when I went to get the bird. Typing is one thing, voice conversation is another thing. jh

I'm certain a well-check by certified avian vet will clear apparent confusion of species. Have you chosen a name? "It" conjures a Stephen King character of infamy.

OP
1oldparroter

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
Its name stayed Pinocchio and the photo has been taken, just can't get to this computer. It never learned any human words but likes to mimic sounds otherwise. Like blowing out your breath sounds like whew and he talks bird talk with my wife but not me. In here he is cage defensive, even with me but especially when wife steps in. He really don't like for me to be out of sight and calls to me and / or talks to wife for a bit. When startled in living room, he flies, now he lands on my head or outstretched hand. He will get on a perch if directed but seems picky about new perches in general. Try to get a pic up soon. jh

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Grey's are usually leery about new things. And IMHO are the smartest of the parrot family. I was owned by a Timneh for twenty-eight years and it amazed me on how fast SHE (not IT! sorry!) learned new stuff/words,sometimes picking something up in just hours,not days and very capable of understanding what is being said. I'm sure you know that parrots choose their person and not the other way around :eek:
Start slow and steady with "IT" and get IT to a Certified Avian Vet when you can for at least a wellness check-up.
I'd love to see a picture of him/her when you can post. Also happy for you that you found a parrot at last...now the fun really begins

Jim

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts