Recently adopted my first conure

Rippy27

May 7, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I adopted a green checked conure named Roxy on Monday last week. Before this I have had cockatiels and budgeys.

She has a small cage and I'm busy making arrangements to get something bigger. Didn't know until I looked on YouTube that a lot of people keep them in cages the size that an African Grey would fit in.

Anyways, have figured out some of what she likes to eat. Don't think the previous owner gave her anything but seed. She loves grapes, apple, banana and I'm busy looking at recipes for chop. Trying to take it slow because a change in diet is not always easy.

I was told that she is tame and enjoys time out of the cage, but so far she doesn't want to leave the cage and I don't want to force her.

She sometimes let's me scratch her head and cheeks and will happily be fed by hand. As she gets to trust me more hopefully things will improve. She doesn't want to step up and if I put my finger near her feet, she runs away some times.

Once I have a bigger cage I also want to make her some toys.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I adopted a green checked conure named Roxy on Monday last week. Before this I have had cockatiels and budgeys.

She has a small cage and I'm busy making arrangements to get something bigger. Didn't know until I looked on YouTube that a lot of people keep them in cages the size that an African Grey would fit in.

Anyways, have figured out some of what she likes to eat. Don't think the previous owner gave her anything but seed. She loves grapes, apple, banana and I'm busy looking at recipes for chop. Trying to take it slow because a change in diet is not always easy.

I was told that she is tame and enjoys time out of the cage, but so far she doesn't want to leave the cage and I don't want to force her.

She sometimes let's me scratch her head and cheeks and will happily be fed by hand. As she gets to trust me more hopefully things will improve. She doesn't want to step up and if I put my finger near her feet, she runs away some times.

Once I have a bigger cage I also want to make her some toys.
You can usually find good cages on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for cheaper.
I got one of my 36’ 36’ 21’ cages for $75.

As far as diet transition goes, the most important thing is weighing your conure while changing her diet. You can use a kitchen scale, they can also be called flour or gram scales. It’s best to weigh them in the morning before breakfast and after they’ve had their morning poop.

Toy making is a great way to save money. I make most of my birds toys and get the parts from these two sites:
Make Your Own Bird Toys https://makeyourownbirdtoys.com/
My Safe Bird Store https://www.mysafebirdstore.com/

You’re already making great progress with your conure! What’s her name?
And, on the forum, we love pictures 😊

Most Reactions

Latest posts