Recently purchased Red Bellied loud stressed behaviour?

Eelis

Jul 11, 2022
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot
Hi guys new to the community, new to bird owning,

A week ago I purchased a male red-bellied parrot from a reseller.
Things have been going OK, he's a bit scared of me (he escaped from his cage and was caught with a net after flying into a concrete wall at the time of purchase) which I'm sure caused him some trauma.

First three days I let him stay in his cage (he would retreat or get nervous just by me looking at him), then I've let him out for about two hours a day. I have to use a stick and treat to get him back.

SO HERE'S THE QUESTION (with video):

He paces back and forth on his branch, like he wants something, and after a while he goes into a very loud tantrum.
I have no idea what he wants.

-He has food (different types, fruits, seeds, vegetables)
-Yesterday the cage was closed during his tantrum, so today it's open (glass panel at bottom in video) but no change in behaviour (the video is from today), I've also left a bowl with fruit at the bottom to encourage him to go out.
- I sing and dance in a mild way some times to enterain him

I spend about 4 hours away from home each day, I leave planet earth on (lol) with mild volume.

What should I do? Am I too impatient? I'm really struggling with the noise level.. I had to leave the appartment yesterday as it was the only way to get him quiet

Attachments

• video-1657530583.mp4
    5 MB

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Okay, patience is your best friend here. Parrots in general don't do anything that fast. A week is really nothing in their world. Try to change your perspective and look at things his way. He has no real reason to trust you, he's a prey animal, so trust is hard earned, and easily lost. Lots of things to consider, but maybe best to start with some info here:

Hope this helps. :)

OP
E

Eelis

Jul 11, 2022
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot
Thank you both for your help! I realize I need to change my perspective as mentioned above :) (I guess I'm not training a dog here :D)
He seems to be in good spirits otherwise, and no pacing today. So slow steady progress I guess wins the parrot. I'll also hit up Terry57 if there's any issues. Thanks again!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi, I have a Meyers parrot who makes that similar contact call. It basically means “where are you?” Also he’s running back and forth on his perch anxiously like a chicken. If my bird was doing that I would guess he wants to be pet or talked to or to come out.

He looks bored and lonely and wants some attention, imo. Even talking to him or reading a book to him, watching tv or using your computer while sitting next to his cage. When you are not watching him he may approach you closer. I am guessing he’s interested in you and wants attention but is also shy and doesn’t know you yet.

Those whistles can get very high and loud if you don’t answer. That is the poicephalus version of “hey you! Over here!” Are you giving him treats from your fingers? He may want you to scratch his head. My Meyers parrot loves to be pet but he also gets scared or too excited quickly and can nip really hard. So I would make careful overtures while watching bird body language.

Body language in the video is “I’m bored and lonely. Come talk to me. Let me out!”

Most Reactions