Regurgitation vs Puking?

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
I've seen several people saying there's a difference between regurgitation and actual puking in parrots, but I've never seen an explanation as to how to tell the difference between the two?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
From my experience- When they regurgitate, they "pump" their throats vigorously with their necks stuck out to get the crop contents up. A lot of times, they'll then muck it around in their beaks and re-eat if there isn't a recipient (nasty beasts!). When they vomit, they kind of tip their heads over and may or may not pump their throats (if they do, it's more of a light bobbing, like a drunk does). Vomiting birds also tend to shake their heads when the vomit comes up, and show other signs of illness such as droopy eyes and wings. I've never seen an ill bird who vomits re-eat the vomit like I have a amorous bird re-eat their regurgitation.

OP
P

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
Do some birds shake their heads from side to side after they do the head-bobbing and the contents come up? Peeko head-bobs all the time and rarely ever gets anything up, but the few times that he has, he shakes his head from side to side and kindof flings the crop contents.
I just got splattered in the face and hair by a lovely cocktail of only Peeko knows what... Just in time for Valentine's Day! :p

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I think the re-eating may be a zon-thing, but Kiwi will occasionally wipe what came out as he wallowed it around on my husbands shirt. Lucy would only regurgitate "for me" when I was knock-down sick (I think she wanted to nurse me back to health lol) and would actually try to get it in my mouth. It just ended up on my neck and down my shirt. Her and her mate Barney would regurgitate in each others beaks occasionally. Gross, but kinda sweet (they've been a bonded pair for over 40 years). I would't be too concerned if he isn't displaying other signs of illness. This is the time of year when they start their breeding season, and regurgitating is often a sign they like you and want you to be their girl/boyfriend.

Wanted to add- regurgitation is a 100% normal, healthy and natural behavior for parrots even if it's gross to us. In fact, it's a very good indicator of a happy and well adjusted bird. While you aren't likely to be able to eliminate it completely, you can discourage it somewhat by ignoring it when he starts it and reinforcing other more desirable displays of affection from your bird. If he's regurgitating, just turn around, leave the room or stop paying attention so he sees (and hopefully understands) it is not something that grabs your attention. When he displays other affectionate behavior (kisses, cuddling, preening), strongly encourage those by giving verbal praise, petting, a small treat or whatever he likes to teach him those behaviors will grab your attention. That will encourage him to repeat the behaviors he gets rewarded for, not the ones he gets no attention over.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The best way to tell the behaviors apart is whether or not the behavior appears voluntarily or involuntarily done. They can look similar, but they are indeed different.

From what I've seen, regurgitation is usually fast where-as vomiting is a little slower.

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
Do they regurgitate only for things/people they have bonded with?

I ask this because the other day Kiwi met this cute little gingerbread man pin on my bag and decided to regurgitate for it right away, before the first date even! Maybe it was love at first sight?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Do they regurgitate only for things/people they have bonded with?

I ask this because the other day Kiwi met this cute little gingerbread man pin on my bag and decided to regurgitate for it right away, before the first date even! Maybe it was love at first sight?

A gingerbread man pin you say? I guess you just know when you meet the one :09:
In all seriousness, yes they do regurgitate for objects of their desire. Sharing food is a way for them to express affection to someone/thing their already bonded to or, sometimes, as a sign of romantic interest or offering of friendship. I brought home a fresh pineapple once and our Kiwi took an immediate shine to it (including trying to feed it). I kind of felt bad cutting it up.

Most Reactions

Latest posts