rehomed 2 sulphurs today

Hayden1987

Apr 23, 2013
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Parrots
Andy a Harlequin Macaw
a pair or maroon bellied conures,
a pair of mulga parrots
So... today was a bitter sweet day, sweet in respect that i have found a loving temporary home for 2 amazing greater sulphur cresteds.
Bitter in the fact that i adored them andnwanted them to move up north with me haha.

Unfotunately these birds haven't had the best 10+ years so far... with being housed in canary and cockatiel cages for years before friends of mine found out about them and being fed just sunflower seeds(was stil happening :/ )

So the story goes i had a call 48hrs ago from friends of mine saying someone they know has just passed on and she had 2 cockatoos and they didnt know what to do..
I got straight on the phone and rang around a few people i knew with too experience...
All of them saying not interested because of the demand they would have :(

So i rang a member of the local bird club who said that his family would temporarily take them in until homes are found either by myself or through the family.

The next day rolled along and i get a call from my friend saying.. OMG this is horrible... the aviary these birds are housed in is almost 3ft deep in rotting sunflower seed husks and faeces, with no food or water in the aviary...
So yet again i went into panic mode worried about what state these birds are going to be in..
Well to my surprise 2 beautifully white cockies turned up... a little over weight but nothing a diet of more fruit and veges and seed free mornings wont fix.

They had lovely personalities asking for scratch after scratch.. saying oh you are lovely, which of course inreplied with awww thankyou!! And then gave them another scratch

I thank everyone who helped make it all work for me and for these birds...
Once im in a position i will be ringing the family that has taken them in and see if they want me to take them... if they havent fallen for them like i did!

Luke252

Aug 6, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
Parrots
Bluey - Opaline Blue Budgie, Larry - Greater Sulphur Crested Cockatoo, Charlie - Samueli Red Tailed Black Cockatoo, Max - Eastern Long Billed Corella
Great to hear that these two birds having loving new homes!! Greater Sulphur Cresteds are one of my favourite. I absolutely adore mine.

Ravennessa

Jun 22, 2013
Franklin Sq, NY
Parrots
Jacob a sun conure who found me!
You should have taken a few pics... Glad to hear they seem so content though after what it seems they been through.. <3 Good work!! We need more rescue humans!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You did a good thing, maybe you get the chance to take them in? Rescue work is a lot of work and also you encounter a lot of very sad poor conditions they're in. If they were elderly and had issues I can understand, but when they're young, it really makes me angry....I took in two over a year ago that was on the verge of dying with skin and bones....I was completely shocked when I held them how light they were and they were eager to come out, they were begging for food. It broke my heart....They ate and ate and ate for days....Now they always have plenty of food available to them at all times.

Most Reactions

Latest posts