Rehoming Advice needed

paddy1998

Oct 28, 2014
Like many, I have gone through significant life and career changes post-Covid. As a result of new work commitments I need to rehome my @22 year old Scarlet Macaw, Nino.

I have no idea how to go about finding a good home for Nino. Eight years ago I bought him from the previous owner who had neglected him. I don't want to sell him, just find a good home for him.

I'm going to call the vet's office tomorrow to see if they have any ideas, but in the meantime where do I start looking?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I disagree. As some great homes aren't looking to buy more birds, but are willing to make room for one more.

Sometimes people can't find homes and end up giving to over crowded rescues ( and some rescues aren't really top notch) I think finding a home can be better sometimes

Paddy I'm wishing you the best if luck in finding an awesome home your baby.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I disagree. As some great homes aren't looking to buy more birds, but are willing to make room for one more.

Sometimes people can't find homes and end up giving to over crowded rescues ( and some rescues aren't really top notch) I think finding a home can be better sometimes

Paddy I'm wishing you the best if luck in finding an awesome home your baby.
in that case I would list a rehoming advice along with "will to negotiate" then interviewing the heck out of the people interested to make sure they're actually going to a good home. but could still attract flippers that know what to say to please

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Advertising free birds definitely attracts less serious and/or less ideal people. The reality of parrots is that they are an expensive exotic pet often requiring extensive care - having a negotiable rehoming fee makes sense maybe, but charging no fee at all means you’ll be absolutely WADING through people who will contact you about it, have no bird experience/be unwilling to provide further info, etc.

I see it happen and when I rehomed my quail - who are farm birds, and not even as valuable - had to deal with a lot of people who probably had no idea what they’d be getting into before we found a suitable home for them; probably because I opted to give them away instead of advertising a fee.

It can totally still work out - but the onus on you to make SURE they’re serious and good candidates is greater!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
All good advice. I've taken in birds because they were free, including from this forum. When I definitely wouldn't have bought more birds.

And I've seen many struggles in people selling in finding a home...often listed for months.

Finding a good home can be hard. Definitely flippers, wanna be breeders, and all sorts out there. I'm sure common sense and good judgment in vetting a new home will be used.

Selling or giving i just hope a great one is found

zainabm

May 16, 2022
Parrots
I have a goff in cockatoo
Like many, I have gone through significant life and career changes post-Covid. As a result of new work commitments I need to rehome my @22 year old Scarlet Macaw, Nino.

I have no idea how to go about finding a good home for Nino. Eight years ago I bought him from the previous owner who had neglected him. I don't want to sell him, just find a good home for him.

I'm going to call the vet's office tomorrow to see if they have any ideas, but in the meantime where do I start looking?

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
Agreeing with Laurasea on this. I mostly lurk these days, but was an active member around 2010 when I had my first parrots. I'II mention I've paid for rehomes, but have also had parrots from macaws to amazons to pionus to parakeets given to me at no cost because I could provide a good home. And I didn't NEED more parrots, but there are often more parrots needing a home, than skilled homes that can care for more parrots.

Best of luck. This decision is NEVER easy to make. And one of the best parrot-keepers I have ever met just had some life - reversals that make her consider this option.

It doesn't make you a bad parrot-companion, it just makes you realistic in the world as it stands.

OP
paddy1998

paddy1998

Oct 28, 2014
Agreeing with Laurasea on this. I mostly lurk these days, but was an active member around 2010 when I had my first parrots. I'II mention I've paid for rehomes, but have also had parrots from macaws to amazons to pionus to parakeets given to me at no cost because I could provide a good home. And I didn't NEED more parrots, but there are often more parrots needing a home, than skilled homes that can care for more parrots.

Best of luck. This decision is NEVER easy to make. And one of the best parrot-keepers I have ever met just had some life - reversals that make her consider this option.

It doesn't make you a bad parrot-companion, it just makes you realistic in the world as it stands.
Before he came to me my pal Nino was neglected for years. He was left in his cage alone all day every day and that is exactly what's been starting to happen now. And he notices.

I just don't want to slowly fall into neglecting him the way his previous owners did. Home alone for 16-18 hours a day and maybe 10 minutes with me before I go to bed isn't enough; he deserves better than that.

I'm just hoping I'm able to find a good place for him.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Go to other local vets, besides your vet, and let them know you are trying to responsibly rehome your bird. Sometimes vets, techs or other employees, are able and willing to help. Or know someone else who is. Generally, they'll know what is involved, and can be proper guardians. Also, I always insisted on seeing their home where he would live. Anyone with nothing to hide, or only favorable intentions, will not mind. All responsible Rescues do a home check. I've rehomed many birds in my day. And anyone who seemed inappropriate, never even saw the bird. Be careful, be responsible and have the birds' best interest as your main goal. There really are many good homes out there. I wish you luck.

benbfishin

Nov 16, 2015

Scarlett..must get a good home with experienced person. They are great birds, I have one named Romeo..but can be more challenging than most macaws. Mine was a rescue , I got from the local bird store...they never advertise rescues, but know people that are good handles and approach them to see if they have room to give love to a bird. This way the bird gets a great home with people familiar with handling the responsibilities. I'm very blessed to have Romeo and 4 other rescues..a grey, 2 quakers, and a parolett. Ask your local vet or bird store if they have a good suggestion..im sorry for both you and your bird for the situation..may life be blessed for both of you in the future.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I myself have always dreamed of getting a Macaw, and training one. I just don’t think I can as my Ekkie is very needy. I am not sure I would have the time. Myself as a buyer have always wondered why people charge large amounts of money to rehome a bird. I’ve always questioned if the person is a flipper as I assumed their goal is making money vs finding a good home for their birds. While sellers are doing the same thing assuming whoever is buying is just trying to flip a bird. Both parties try to filter out the same thing which are flippers 😂😂😂

Most Reactions