Replacing Bebe's cage

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
It looks like brother Jim's birds will be coming home on Tuesday. I want to replace Beeb's cage because what he has is a POS. It's flimsy, and very close to the ground. I will NOT be able to maintain it from a wheelchair. I have no idea where Jim got it frokm, but it looks like it should have had a bottom section with wheels to raise it off the floor.

bebes cage.jpg

Notice that Jim converted it to an external feeder, with a "box" hanging out the side. He had to hack the cage with a Dremel to make the hole for that. And Beebs loves his box - he goes into it to hide from the world (or from anyone's hand in the cage). I dunno if that feature is available in cages or not, but it'd be nice to get one for the little guy.

Anyway, I'm asking for recommendations for a Cockatiel cage. Needs to be on wheels and high enough so that I can maintain it without getting on the floor. And it needs to allow the bird to climb down to the floor when he wants (a ladder?). What say ye?

Dave

p.s. The photo was taken at the animal control shelter by my ex-wife Antoinette, after she spent 3 hrs cleaning Beebs' and Amy's cages there. This woman is an angel and my savior with all I'm going through.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have used BIRDCAGES4LESS.com for decades!
Understand that 98% of all Parrot Cages are made in China from three different manufacture for private label and general sales. Quality is what the distributor either accept or limited by what they will pay.
Bird Cages 4 Less, is the sales arm of one of those builders and as a result their quality has been steady, great and never had any missing bits.

Strongly recommend looking at only a full height front door as it makes cleaning and general servicing much easier.
We look at only the flat top as they are stronger and safer, plus a play area can be purchased as part of the cage and added there.
Buy extra food /water bowls as they are continually changing and when you elect to add more later, they are near impossible to find.

Newspaper on the bottom tray. We never us the upper tray as it makes the cage to dark.

Assemble by setting the section upsize down and bolt together will assure that everything lines up and the the wheels are easier to install.

Using his existent interior will be helpful for him to adjust to the new cage!

So very happy that your ex is being so very helpful.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
When I was looking recently I saw some "flight cages" that were on wheels but also lifted off the base if needed - I'm on my phone now without my cheaters, but tonight or tomorrow I'll look at some of the cages I'd bookmarked and post photos.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Some assembly required.
Ordering a cage on line is almost certainly going to require the cage be put together after it arrives.
pet shops or craigs list is about the only options for a pre-assembled cage.

And the price of cages has gone up significantly
(like everything else)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The rest of mine are like this but in white...not exactly sure if same brand but measurements seem to match

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Also some petstores will have used cages, but yiu have to ask as they often keep off the show floor.
Facebook market place great to look for used, as well as Craigslist, used furniture stores

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Just a personal note.
I dislike white cages.
for some reason (at least in my case) with a white cage you tend to focus on the bars of the cage instead of what’s inside. Photos come out better with a dark (black or grey) cage.
Wes

OP
JimsBrother

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
It's obvious to me now that Beebs' cage is a 2 part unit and my brother only got the top half and not the stand. I'm looking at medium sized cages, and this one seems appropriate:

medium cage

Dunno how the little guy would get to the floor though (when his wings are trimmed and he can't fly).

Dave

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
It's obvious to me now that Beebs' cage is a 2 part unit and my brother only got the top half and not the stand. I'm looking at medium sized cages, and this one seems appropriate:

medium cage

Dunno how the little guy would get to the floor though (when his wings are trimmed and he can't fly).

Dave
You could try a ladder - or you could maybe zip tie a panel from his old cage onto the front hanging down. I ended up just last week getting a new A&E cage because it was the only one in the size I wanted in stock - it was ok to put together by myself but their YouTube videos definitely helped!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Size looks good but….
it has a narrow door. That will make things difficult.
hanging toys
installing perches.
cleaning.

given the current market difficulties it might be the best you can find.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
IMHO, please avoid the dome top, but that is just me.

The stock is likely setting in one of the vast number of Cargo Container Ships sitting off-shore in any number of Ports around North America. To some degree, you may have to wait until stock is replenished. Yes, a pain, or it may not be possible, but it is a reality that we are in until near everything is restocked months from now.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi David, a rope type ladder meaning one where the stringers are some type of parrot safe rope with the rungs made from wood will work, as will the heavy plastic chains available at any DIY . Good thing about the plastic chain, you can take it down, throw it in a pot of boiling water to clean it.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
First, they are a true pain to clean as one's body needs to be deeper into the cage. Cleaning can be a pain with a regular cage, even with a full height front door. Add, the additional curvature and not fun!
Second, the common flat area on top of the cage no longer is available and anything placed on the curve is headed to the floor.
Third, some curved tops Open and they become a source of injury as the top tense to close on one's Parrot.
Forth, 'some' parrots develop a dominance issue on the higher area.
Fifty, for you the curve top 'could' represent an issue of getting Beebs to Step-Up. But likely not an issue with your Parrots.

Hope that helps.

Most Reactions