Replacing fertilized eggs

Lullx

Mar 6, 2015
Central New York
Parrots
Nephele - Baby CAG | Genevieve & Phaedrus - Green Cheeks | Lucy - Lutino Cockatiel | Ludo, Zero & Anzu - Budgerigars
Two of my budgies have mated and now the female is sitting on four eggs. I think it's safe to assume they're fertilized.
It feels very irresponsible for me to allow the eggs to incubate and hatch, so I'm planning on buying a set of dummy eggs today and replacing the eggs ASAP.

What I need to know is if this is the right course of action. Will it be okay to replace fertilized eggs? What do I do with them? Do they just tossed? They were laid sometime over the last two or three days. I have been checking on the hen multiple times a day but she wasn't budging for two days and I couldn't see any eggs. I came back from my boyfriend's house this morning and she was off of the nest, so I took a peek and saw the four eggs. I know I have to work quickly because they have such a short incubation period.

I'm sure that once my mother finds out, she'll request a few of the eggs for her cockatiel, who has been chronically laying eggs pretty much nonstop. Someone told her that if she gets a fertilized egg and allows the tiel to hatch it, the egg laying might finally stop. Is there any truth to that? Would it be safe to try? The possibility of new life is terrifying.

Most Reactions

Latest posts