Rio is Squawking very loudly in afternonn helllp

ottoman

Jan 27, 2013
Turkiye
Parrots
Rio
Greenwing Macaw
Wildcaugh
Hello everyone you know Rio my wildcaugh macaw he was very fine very playfull and very silent . but i said was...D

Nearly 1 week rio get crazy he is making loud noise continusly why he is diffrent now help me my wife is kill me :D
second thing is eating little sometimes eating much

3rd thing is he want to chew everything

4rd thing and last thing and important thing moulting very much

i am making your answers theese are very importaant for me thanks a llot

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Does he have enough toys to play with? You must try and keep him busy and occupied with different toys, and then rotate the toys. All macaws can get loud....yes, VERY loud. ;) When he is screaming, you have to ignore him. Praise him when he is quiet again.

As for the chewing, again, toys, toys and more toys (WOODEN toys, things he can shred)

How long has he been molting? Maybe he is going though his major annual molt, they can last a while. Is he eating fresh fruits and vegetables? Give him a bath at least once a week, it will help him with the molt.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What season is it where you live and how old is Rio (approximately)? If it's the early spring like here in the US and he is over 5/6 years old, it is most likely Rio is just experiencing his annual hormonal time. All sexually mature parrots go through a roughly 1-2 month long phase every year where they turn into crazed winged demons because it is their mating season and their hormones are surging. Theres unfortunately not a whole lot you can do about it besides grin and bear it until it's over. As always, never respond to negative behaviors by reacting (such as yelling at him if he screams, or freaking out if he chews). That only reinforces the behavior. Things that can help hormones a bit are reducing fruit and upping veggies because of all the sugar in fruit. Be sure he is on a very regular sleep schedule and that he is not seeing any light while his cage is covered (extended daylight is what triggers the hormones). Lastly, give him stuff to chew other than your furniture or home. For a big boy like Rio, you may want to pick up a couple untreated wood 2x4's, cut them up into chunks, and let him rip those up.

OP
ottoman

ottoman

Jan 27, 2013
Turkiye
Parrots
Rio
Greenwing Macaw
Wildcaugh
those are very helpful thank alot both of you
i understand that sleeping schedule , veggies or fruits , and chew stuff are most important thing

i wanna ask it
when he shout or make noise what should we do him we wonder that ???

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
When my birds get loud, I ignore them. I know this is difficult to do if the bird lives in the house with you. Get a good pair of ear plugs. When the bird settles down give him attention. Remember your bird is naturally vocal-they simply like to make noise to let everyone know they are there. It might help you by teaching your bird to make another type of noise. I knew a bird who sang opera instead of screamed. The noise was still loud, but not as obnoxious as the parrot screech. You can't really stop a parrot from being noisy as that is their nature. But allowing them to make another, more acceptable noise, might help keep the peace in your house.

Good luck, be patient.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
those are very helpful thank alot both of you
i understand that sleeping schedule , veggies or fruits , and chew stuff are most important thing

i wanna ask it
when he shout or make noise what should we do him we wonder that ???

You ignore him. Literally turn your back and leave the room when he starts screeching and let him go until he tires himself out. Unfortunately, it takes them a while (likely several months) to catch on that hollering at the top of their lungs does NOT get them the attention they want. It is highly irritating to everyone until they learn, but IF you are consistent, they WILL learn. The problem is, most people cave to the irritation after a week or two. I cannot emphasize enough, be consistent until he learns. Every time you react in any other way, such as yelling back or squirting him with a spray bottle or any other thing people try, you only REINFORCE the screaming behavior AND break your birds trust. Screaming is natural for them, and one of the hardest things to break them of. There just isn't a magic thing you can do in 2 days to get them to stop either. Consistent ignoring of the negative behavior is the only method that works. The other thing you must be diligent on is reinforcing good noises he makes (the ones you want him to repeat, be it words or just a nice bird noise). When he makes those noises, respond with praise, affection and attention. That teaches him those noises get him what he's after when he vocalizes (your attention) and gradually the screaming will phase out because it gets him nothing except a sore throat (no, it doesn't feel good to them to holler either).

Our boy was a major screamer when we got him. And while I think amazons do have some different behavioral patterns (reason why they scream) than macaws,we went through a good 5-6 months with Kiwi where we just wanted to bang our heads into the wall because of the noise:52:. I never knew such a tiny bird could make such earth shattering noises. But we remained consistent with how we handled the screaming episodes:30:. Then one day, he FINALLY "got it". The screaming started to taper off, and he started making more and more of the "good noises". He RARELY screams now, only when he's frightened (understandable), which isn't very often. He makes the cutest little set of parrot noises, the very same ones we encouraged him to make, and still encourage and praise. Our landlords have a alexandrine parakeet (so half the size of our bird) that is 3x as noisy. Everyone wonders how we got so lucky and found such a quiet bird. I assure them, he didn't come this way, we EARNED a quiet, well behaved bird who makes nice noises. If you can get past this with Rio, it will be a HUGE step forward in a lifelong bond with him

Most Reactions

Latest posts