Rio's Progress

Tay2000

Mar 29, 2014
Western Australia
Parrots
Rio- Alexandrine parrot
Hey everyone. Rio has made some great progress. He is now better at stepping up, still a bit weary of hands but he will step up on my arm. And something even better.... He is now FLYING ON COMMAND!!! :D he will fly to and from my arm to his perch!! I'm very happy with his progress, his biting habits have minimised and in the past week I've been bitten once. Here's a photo collage of his past 3 nd a half weeks with me :) thanks!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 109

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Gorgeous Alex you have there! Flying on command is progress indeed. Good for you and your bird. Love the collage, thanks for sharing.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Hah! Well done, Tay and Rio! I bet you feel as pleased as punch with all this progress? AND it took such a short time, didn't it? It seems like only yesterday Rio was just a new baby and all standoffish and nervous. He doesn't look a bit like that now! Excellent training skills, Tay! :D :D :D

You might find Rio never quite gets over 'hands'.

The Beaks really, really don't like being touched or handled at all, not even for a humble head-scratch. I persevered for a while by going 'Touch a pretty beak' and rewarding when they allowed it, but I never really got anywhere with that. Barney allows it when he's in the mood, but Madge will have your arm off at the elbow if you attempt to touch her pretty bear-trap. Erm... 'beak'. It doesn't matter. Just because I can't touch 'em with my hands doesn't mean I can't touch 'em with my arm or shoulder or head or pigtail! They're like glue when they're with me, so that's enough for me. I'm just grateful they love me enough to trust that much. :)

Keep up the good work with your beautiful boy and keep us informed of his progress. You might start trick training now, especially since he's proven he's receptive to the whole idea?

Most Reactions

Latest posts