Roasted unsalted nuts?

Lucidxdoom

Nov 7, 2018
Milwaukee wi
Parrots
Indian ringneck
so i have a HUMAN delux nut mix (almonds, hazelnut, cashews and pecans) i have offered these ONLY as a training reward treat because that's what he likes, i can't for the life of me find a raw nut mix that doesn't have peanuts. I know you are supposed to feed raw but is roasted WITHOUT SALT ok too? I can't seem to find the info anywhere! Thanks!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah the key is un-salted. Peanuts in genl are considered NG becasue they can harbor fungi in the shells.

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Yeah the key is un-salted. Peanuts in genl are considered NG becasue they can harbor fungi in the shells.

I totally removed peanuts from Archie’s diet because I got scared s-less about unhealthy overconsumption. I also only give him shelled sunflower, tiny portions, which doesn’t matter because he doesn’t eat the damn shelled sunflower anyway.

It’s a matter of me being anal retentive and paranoid with this, and Archie suffers. I gotta lighten up. I just wish someone would give me the exact FORMULA of this much of this, this much of that, etc., considering how much of a fresh diet he can willingly consume.

So, if I buy roasted in shell, are you saying these are OKAY for him in significant quantities?

Last edited:

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
so i have a HUMAN delux nut mix (almonds, hazelnut, cashews and pecans) i have offered these ONLY as a training reward treat because that's what he likes, i can't for the life of me find a raw nut mix that doesn't have peanuts. I know you are supposed to feed raw but is roasted WITHOUT SALT ok too? I can't seem to find the info anywhere! Thanks!

Where did you hear nuts have to be raw? Only unsalted.

But you still have to check that they aren’t PROCESSED in any way, meaning it can say roasted and unsalted, but there are added oils and other crap. Just have to check the ingredients list.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Dry-roasted, unsalted nuts are okay for your Parrot. Oil cooked nuts should be avoided. Nuts should not be a mainstay of the dry segment of the overall diet. Added from time to time to inspirer the need to search the contains of the dry food offering.

As so well coved by everyone above, Peanuts are to be avoided for two reasons:
- Fungus!!!
- Fatty Liver, especially with Amazons!!!

Note: The reason peanuts are part of a deluxe mix is to keep its costs down. If you search and are willing to pay the up-charge, peanut free deluxe mixes are available.

Most Reactions