Scared Cockatiel male

OP
M

Mauradangelo

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
I have never had a cockatiel but I do have some bird experience.

When introducing to your home do as Ravvlet said, this is good advice. Also I tried to peruse the replies to see if anyone mentioned this but, it is for your birds safety and the new bird to have them separated at least a month before introducing them and to keep them in separate cages until they have bonded. Some people still advise to keep them separated in cages when they are resting to avoid potential territorial fights or breeding which can be difficult for a female who could possibly become eggbound.

The reason to keep them separated for a month is to allow supervision over their health and to make sure they have no viral or bacterial diseases that can be transferred to your other bird and also for an adjustment period for the new bird to the new home and to feel safe. It's good to leave them absolutely alone for about a week, especially a scared bird. Completely ignoring them not even talking to them. Talking to them directly can stress them out more. Let them get used to you talking in your home naturally. You change the water and the food, and let them be alone. Then start sitting by them and watch tv or play on your phone, etc as Ravvlet said to do.

As they calm down around you sitting by the cage then start with putting your hand on the cage. Try 5 second increment increases every few days (for example for a few days only hold your hand against the cage for 5 seconds, when they are good with that, increase to 10 seconds, and so forth, remember to move SLOWLY): 5 seconds , 10 seconds, 15 seconds, until you get to 30 and when they stop panicking at 30 try putting your hand in the cage, again don't look at them directly. Keep a peripheral because you don't want them to bite you and cause you injury. Keep your hand in there for about thirty seconds to a minute to allow them time to come check you out if they want to and then take your hand out. If they immediately start to panic, try just opening the door and placing your hand on the frame instead for 5 second intervals.

Birds take time. I have a pigeon that took around 3-4 months to stop viciously attacking me (just glad he didn't have a parrot beak) every time I reached into his cage to clean, a month later I could pet him as long as his mate was nearby. Now I can get into his cage and put my head near him and he will preen my hair or check out my eyeglasses. Totally okay with my husband and me now. I thought he'd never come around. His mate literally took a couple weeks before she was hanging out and preening , sitting on a shoulder, both were outdoor birds and unsocialized. But I also know how the previous owner prodded the male to show his colors off, so it is no surprise to me that he is extremely handshy.

Like others have said, we don't know what these birds have experienced before us. All we can do is be understanding and have patience. They can read when you are stressed and your energy, so ONLY go into it when you are calm, happy, and not anxious that something bad is going to happen, otherwise they will read this and reflect your anxiety as well.

Best of Luck!
Thank you a lot 😊

OP
M

Mauradangelo

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Thank you a lot 😊
I m having a lot patience , and I ll br waiting for home to be ready to come to me , he gets panic for everything ,I know what they did on him but he had a really bad life .I ll give him time , probably on other 3-4 months I will be able to take him with home and let him fly free on my house as my female does already.thank you so much for all your help😊

OP
M

Mauradangelo

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi everybody I want ask you all if somebody want to take my cockatiel , the last one I took from the store Wii he I told you already the situation.in a few weeks I will move with the car we re moving to South Carolina and I m really worry about the trip for both of them .in almost 2 months he didn’t interact with no one of us ,he doesn’t move all day long, he has toys and all stuff he could need but nothing ,I think this little bird is not happy here and what will happening on the trip ?how can I move him?he will be totally terrified stay in a small cage cause the trip a new house and I should put him at the same cage with my female but he attack her …I m really frustrated I wanted to helped him ,I took him to make a company to my female but he doesn’t care about food,about anything ,he yells all day long ,he barely eating and I never seen him drinking water from his bowl.I don’t know anymore what’s else do for him since we knew we are moving.probably I should give him another chance with someone that he can better taking care of him .I m thinking now that probably re-home him it’s the better choice for him and avoid this long trip to him .if anybody is interested to taking care of them please let me know ,I just want help my little bird .thank you all of you in advance .

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Hi everybody I want ask you all if somebody want to take my cockatiel , the last one I took from the store Wii he I told you already the situation.in a few weeks I will move with the car we re moving to South Carolina and I m really worry about the trip for both of them .in almost 2 months he didn’t interact with no one of us ,he doesn’t move all day long, he has toys and all stuff he could need but nothing ,I think this little bird is not happy here and what will happening on the trip ?how can I move him?he will be totally terrified stay in a small cage cause the trip a new house and I should put him at the same cage with my female but he attack her …I m really frustrated I wanted to helped him ,I took him to make a company to my female but he doesn’t care about food,about anything ,he yells all day long ,he barely eating and I never seen him drinking water from his bowl.I don’t know anymore what’s else do for him since we knew we are moving.probably I should give him another chance with someone that he can better taking care of him .I m thinking now that probably re-home him it’s the better choice for him and avoid this long trip to him .if anybody is interested to taking care of them please let me know ,I just want help my little bird .thank you all of you in advance .
Where are you located now? I suggest making a post on the re-homing sub forum here: https://www.parrotforums.com/forums/adoptions-re-homing.10/

OP
M

Mauradangelo

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
I m in pompano but I would like to know first where my bird would go ,If somebody can take care of him correctly otherwise I ll keep him

Vicious

Jun 27, 2023
Parrots
Parrots that I have: conure
You can try giving him to a parrot sanctuary/adoption center that is located in your area, just give it a google or look on facebook for parrot adoption groups and put him on. There are also websites like birdsnow.com that are pretty reputable. My best advice is took on parrot groups and don’t give him to anyone he reacts badly to or give you weird feelings. Sometimes the bird chooses the person and many parrot sanctuaries or adoption centers follow this rule. If the bird doesn’t seem good with them, they won’t let a person adopt them, and they’ll care for them for the rest of their lives. That’s how they do it here anyway.

I am sorry it is not working out for you.

OP
M

Mauradangelo

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
You can try giving him to a parrot sanctuary/adoption center that is located in your area, just give it a google or look on facebook for parrot adoption groups and put him on. There are also websites like birdsnow.com that are pretty reputable. My best advice is took on parrot groups and don’t give him to anyone he reacts badly to or give you weird feelings. Sometimes the bird chooses the person and many parrot sanctuaries or adoption centers follow this rule. If the bird doesn’t seem good with them, they won’t let a person adopt them, and they’ll care for them for the rest of their lives. That’s how they do it here anyway.

I am sorry it is not working out for you.
Yes thank you for all your advice it’s just I m a little scared cause he is really weird bird,there’s no any bird trainer?i just want understand what’s wrong with home and help him out .I asked a lot people here in my area I work at pet store but I never seen a bird like him .after two months a don’t see ANY KIND of improvements.thank you anyway I will think about it I m still trying to helping him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts