Scared Cockatiel

Yuki-tiel

Aug 31, 2021
Parrots
I have 1 male cockatiel
A week and a half ago or so i got this adorable male 8 month old cockatiel from a petshop. He was alone there in a cage since his mate was already sold and was fed a only sunflower seed diet. I got him better food, toys, and a big cage and now i got him a cuttlebone and want to feed him veggies but, he is super scared. At first he would shout and jump to the cage walls for safety from me but now he only walks away, his wings are badly clipped and he is afraid from human hands. I cant put my hand in his cage because it frightens him too much. I clean him and feed him and talk to him everyday which i think got him a bit more used to me since now when i stand next to him he doesnt walk away like he does with my family. But i really want him to be less scared of me and i want to get him out his cage. Any help? He doesnt even look at me and iā€™ve tried everything. He is even scared of millet even when i take it off the stick and into his bowl. I want to bathe him and hold him and feed him veggies and fruits and provide an amazing life but i cant do that when he is so scared he doesnt even look or stay near me. Please help :( ( his name is yuki )

clem.and.luna

Sep 1, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiels
A week and a half ago or so i got this adorable male 8 month old cockatiel from a petshop. He was alone there in a cage since his mate was already sold and was fed a only sunflower seed diet. I got him better food, toys, and a big cage and now i got him a cuttlebone and want to feed him veggies but, he is super scared. At first he would shout and jump to the cage walls for safety from me but now he only walks away, his wings are badly clipped and he is afraid from human hands. I cant put my hand in his cage because it frightens him too much. I clean him and feed him and talk to him everyday which i think got him a bit more used to me since now when i stand next to him he doesnt walk away like he does with my family. But i really want him to be less scared of me and i want to get him out his cage. Any help? He doesnt even look at me and iā€™ve tried everything. He is even scared of millet even when i take it off the stick and into his bowl. I want to bathe him and hold him and feed him veggies and fruits and provide an amazing life but i cant do that when he is so scared he doesnt even look or stay near me. Please help :( ( his name is yuki )
Hey there! Congrats on your first feathered baby :) From what you're saying it seems like he just needs time, and space to get adjusted to his new environment, especially since it sounds like he is untame. When I got my first bird, I put her cage in an area of my house that I spend the most time in (my bedroom) and just went about my without compromising normal routines around her. For the first few weeks you really want to leave them to get adjusted to their cage and new environment as much as possible before interacting with them. It really just takes time and patience. Give him about a week to 2 weeks before you try to really start socializing him and hand training him. For now, just keep talking to him from outside the cage a soft and gentle voice, and over time he will start to come closer to you and be more interested. Once he doesnt frighten around you, you can start holding millet out to him in his cage and see if he will eat it from your hand. The way I got my birds used to my hands was by offering millet to them and putting my hand in slowly and leaving it there for a little bit if they don't seem scared. Over time and with a lot of patience, my birds became my little babies who love cuddles, and im sure yuki will too :)

OP
Yuki-tiel

Yuki-tiel

Aug 31, 2021
Parrots
I have 1 male cockatiel
T
Hey there! Congrats on your first feathered baby :) From what you're saying it seems like he just needs time, and space to get adjusted to his new environment, especially since it sounds like he is untame. When I got my first bird, I put her cage in an area of my house that I spend the most time in (my bedroom) and just went about my without compromising normal routines around her. For the first few weeks you really want to leave them to get adjusted to their cage and new environment as much as possible before interacting with them. It really just takes time and patience. Give him about a week to 2 weeks before you try to really start socializing him and hand training him. For now, just keep talking to him from outside the cage a soft and gentle voice, and over time he will start to come closer to you and be more interested. Once he doesnt frighten around you, you can start holding millet out to him in his cage and see if he will eat it from your hand. The way I got my birds used to my hands was by offering millet to them and putting my hand in slowly and leaving it there for a little bit if they don't seem scared. Over time and with a lot of patience, my birds became my little babies who love cuddles, and im sure yuki will too
Thank you so much for your reply! I tried putting him in my room but my mom wouldnā€™t allow it but i still sit and talk with him everyday in the room he is in. Im going to take it slow and try to not frighten him and yes youā€™re right he isnt tame. But a while ago like 2 or 3 days ago i ordered millet sticks for future training and i unpackaged them and when he saw that stick he literally screamed so i think heā€™s scared of millet or something but his favorite treat is sunflower seeds so in the future iā€™ll make sure to use that. :)

Most Reactions