scariest 24hrs in my life.

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
i have just had the scariest 24hrs in my bird owning life.
currently north qld is experiencing some hot weather. the last couple of days ut has reached about 35 at my place with high humidity to top it off. i have been sure to give oxy plenty of water, mistings etc.... but yesterday we had no breeze and oxy was in his room for about an hour and a half with the door closed (all his windows were open). when i got home my oartner found him sitting outside his window on the ledge and got him quickly (little bugger chewed through the screen). after that i noticed he looked a little off, he was quiet abd his wings were up. i took him through to the bathroom and fave him a shower to cool off. he perked up a little but not much and not fir long. that was around 2.30. now as ive previously mentioned my baby loves corn and if its not in his cage at 4pm he screams up a storm but yesterday... nothing. i gave him a little abd he wouldnt eat. i also noticed he had yellow runny poop and was very dull in colour. i rang my vet and described what was going on. he said sounded like a case if heat stroke and for me to give him a light mist and put a fan in his room and keep an eye on him.
i did as he advised... an hr later still no improvement. a mate of mine bought me round his portable a/c and i set it up in my room. oxy spent last night in his transpirt cage in my room. he seemed a little better this morning and gad a little nibble on some apple which relueved me a bit untill i noticed he seemed to throw up, iimmediatley paniced and straight to vet i went. again he said keep an eye on him and keep him cool. so i moved his whole cage into my bedroom. to cut this story short, oxy us feelung much better now, he us eating, preening and moving around in his cage. he is still a luttle lethargic and quietvbut his poop has improved and so have his colors.
i tell u i hardly slept last night as i was so scared he wouldnt make it. i researched heat stroke in birds and nothing looked good... it can kill in minutes.

So to all you bird loving parents out there, please remember the heat effects your fids to and sometimes water is just not enough. i think oxy will be living in my room for a while.

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
i know i wont be looking forward to my next power bill, but he is worth it

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I freak when the air/heat quit working.....I get them out here ASAP! Cause not only my animals are suffering, me too....lol....I'm glad he's feeling better though!!!

bkparrot

Nov 13, 2012
Media
Brooklyn, NY
Glad he made it. I have three-four air conditioners running from may - october for my pets. The heat and humidity in NYC are too much for people let alone animals alone.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Glad he is feeling better, OMG I can imagine how scared and frightened you must have been.
Your quick re-action did save his life

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
thank you every one.
just a quick update...
oxy has made a full recovery :) and is now cheekier and cuddlier then ever. last night my partner and i were playing cards on our bed and had bought oxy down for some quality time. well i had to go get him some cards to play with cause he was destroying ours. he also had a ball destroying our score pad and even tried to get the pen. after that he was running around the bed and up and down me and my partner.
he even let me step him up off the top of his cage this morning. the top of his cage is the only place that he gets a little territorial over.

why is it, that it seems every time we have an "oxy disaster" his affection and behaviour improve? the first being when he escaped and spent the night up a tree.

so happy my baby is ok.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
I think our parrots are smart enough to know when we helped them and it makes them trust and love us even more.!!!

Catherine_

Nov 7, 2012
Far North Coast of NSW, Australia
Parrots
Sam; Alexandrina
Glad to hear your Alex is better. I have been to North Queensland once during the summer time and hated it. It was just way to hot and humid. North Qld during the winter though has beautiful weather. I live 20minutes from the South Coast of QLD and it gets hot enough here in the summer and I have air conditioning so you must be made a lot tougher up there not to have air conditioning LOL.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
I am so glad to hear he is doing better, this aussie weather is no fun is it!!

Most Reactions