Scary Week

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Posting this in offtopic because it has some off topic subjects but it does also pretain to birds partially.

Monday evening my heavily pregnant sister in law went to the doctors and the doctor determined her blood pressure was getting dangerously high (pre-explampsia levels) and they decided to give her meds and induce labor.

Tuesday morning they determined her labor wasn't progressing fast enough and decided on a c-section.

The c-section itself didn't have any complications, my niece was born but things quickly went downhill as she had a lot of fluid in her lungs and wasn't responsive. They had to do compressions to revive her. She and my sister in law are stable now and recovering but the baby is gonna be in the NICU for a little for observation.

This is the first baby in the family and we are all very excited and we are glad they are both recovering well.

It's now Wednesday and everyone wants to meet my niece but we are giving the new parents some space as it was obviously a rather traumatic ordeal. We are guestimating that they will be able to go home around Friday.

So I'm an aunt now! That's super exciting but I'm also super nervous.

On another note today has been really hard for Aster. I was feeding the birds and I usually take Aster with me when I'm changing waters. Right now I have a couple gates up in front of the bird room to prevent the dogs from going over there and to keep Lincoln from leaving. I ended up tripping on one while stepping over and Aster took off and hit the window pretty hard. She fell and got stuck under something. When I went to move the thing she was under she took off again, around the corner and down the hall where I think she hit the wall again. When I found her she was laying on the ground sprawled out, head down, and motionless. I thought she was dead. I picked her up and she was very limp but alive. She wasn't very responsive but was gripping me a little which I took as a good sign but I was terrified she was just going to die in my hands. I cradled her and talked to her and slowly she started to perk up and become more responsive. She was eventually able to clumsily step up onto my finger but still wasn't holding herself very well. I tried offering her some safflower seeds just to see how she'd react. She'd take the seed but didn't seem to have the energy to open it and just held it in her beak. So still really dazed. I continued to hold her and let her recover at her own pace. She eventually go to the point where I felt confident to put her back in her cage and see how she'd do. I brought her to a perch and she stepped onto it on her own. I offered her another seed and she took it and opened it as she normally would all though on the slower side. I let her rest on her own for a little while I finished getting the other birds their breakfast. When I came back to her she had a bit more energy and was able to climb around her cage with ease. And that's where we are now. She's not as spunky as she normally is but she seems alert and moving normally. A friend suggested I give her a brief physical exam to rule out any obvious injuries. I held her and felt her body and wings and didn't feel anything obvious and she didn't act like she was in pain. I do not see any bleeding or bruising. I'm cautious to say she's going to be alright but I'm hopeful that she is and I'll just continue keeping an eye on her. Here's a picture of her an hour after it happened.
20230726_103641.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts