Seeing my babies-will they remember me?

LoriBabies

May 21, 2013
Australia
Parrots
2 x rainbow lorikeets. Pistachio is a normal coloured 1 1/2 yo birdie who's currently on a diet and Zazu is my grey/green or olive baby, about 4 moths old
A few months ago now, I rehomed my beautiful Pistachio and Zazu. I kept it quiet as still, now it breaks my heart and just makes me cry, but ultimately they're in a home they have run of now bad they're super happy and absolutely adored.

This weekend, at long last I get to go pay them a visit for some cuddles. I'm sure I'll walk away crying my eyes out again but I'm excited none the less!!!

They've been in there new home since late January, what's the likelihood they'd remember me and my partner??

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
To me it sounds like you've rehomed them to someone you know, or who welcomes your visits to see them? I think it's fortunate you have that opportunity. If you can stand the emotions of it all, yes I'm sure they'd remember you. Just as a dog would remember a past owner.

I have a similar situation, I rehomed my beautiful "chimpanzee" Slender Billed corella in 2010-11(?) Here in US, they're rare and I paid a good amount for her, but I rehomed her for free, as all I wanted was for her to have a great home who could fully cater to her needs. She went to live in a huge ranch house and aviaries, with someone home all day, and trick training and tons of enrichment. The whole home and property was dedicated to large birds. I was not equipped to keep a primate (and I'm not exaggerating all that much I don't think), so I gave her for free knowing she'd be where she needed to be. She was so much happier. I have not contacted my acquaintance since. The reason is, I know I'd fall apart if I visited, even years later.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
To me I believe that once a bird have chosen you they will always fall back in love with you if they see you again. :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I think even if they didn't "choose" you, they'd still remember if the owner had them for any length of time at all.

OP
LoriBabies

LoriBabies

May 21, 2013
Australia
Parrots
2 x rainbow lorikeets. Pistachio is a normal coloured 1 1/2 yo birdie who's currently on a diet and Zazu is my grey/green or olive baby, about 4 moths old
Thanks Mikey & RavensGryf, I'm quite sure I will fall apart but will be worth seeing them again. I really hope you're right and they do recall us, would be lovely to have a few cuddles/wrestles with them again.

Ravensgryf, I too rehomed my babies for free, similar thing, knowing they'd be that much happier, they were happy here, but where they are now they spend almost all their time out of the cage and with people, whereas i work lots and couldn't spend as much time with them.

The people I homed them with are distant relatives who I don't see often, but who have said I'm welcome anytime and if I find myself in a better situation, I could have Pistachio and Zazu back, but I wouldn't put them through the readjustment again.

Thanks guys x

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
I petsit this grouchy old CAG twice a year. I go visit a day or so before the scheduled time to touch base with the owners and they claim he remembers me because he always calls me Red. When the suitcases are brought out the CAG starts asking for Red. I visit twice a day while they are gone. Chance is the only living thing in the house and I feel sorry for him, but he seems to have adapted to his life. However, he is rather grouchy so I don't try to handle him (he's not my bird), so I'll sit with him for an hour and either read or do a word puzzle. Which is apparently all he wants to do-watch me sit quietly. Once I turned on the TV and he screamed, "No TV!" so I turned it off.

Not much of a relationship for sure, but according to the owners, Chance does remember me. So I'm sure your rehomed birds will remember you.

OP
LoriBabies

LoriBabies

May 21, 2013
Australia
Parrots
So I saw them today, they did remember me, and the best bit...they're happy. Properly happy. They now have 2 new lorikeet friends and Pistachio has taken quite a liking to the little girl.

Thank you all for your responses x

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's awesome news to hear! Glad it turned out well, and it's perfect that you're able to visit!

Most Reactions