senegal parrot

marie1268

Apr 11, 2014
Hello all thank you for letting me join your forum.

I have just recently bought a senegal parrot and don't know much about her, she is lovely and is used to me, she kisses and sits on my shoulder when she is out of her cage, but she bit al the men she comes into contact with, could anyone please advice me.
Also how often should I spray her with water and how often should she get her talons and beak cut. thanx :green2:

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Welcome to the forums!! Congrats on your sennie baby! Post pics when you can, we all love to see photos of everyone else's babies :)

You can bath a couple times a week or spray/mist everyday if he likes it. During molting times we spray at least once a day, helps with the itchiness.

Trimming nails... whenever they are painfully sharp you can take the tips off for your comfort. But if the nail are so long they are curving or cause the toes to go up, they might need a good trim. The toes should be pretty much flat to the surface if you put your bird on the table. For a major nail trim, I'd consider the vet, but that's just my preference.

For beak trims... give him lots of stuff to shred including some wood. Unless his beak looks overgrown or does not close properly (scissor beak type shape or look), then trimming beaks should not really be necessary. With lots to work his beak on, a formal trim may never be necessary. Definitely see your vet for worries about a beak trim!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Welcome! I have Sennie relatives here :) an older Red Bellied parrot, and Ruppell's parrot coming this summer. I love the Poicephalus parrots.

You might find she is not too fond of baths? After many years, Robin will finally "tolerate" a spray, but far from loving it like a rainforest species would.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Hello I might suggest that rather than spraying her just give her a shallow bowl of water, she will know what to do. Where idid you get her? Do you have any history on her? Are you sure she is female?

parrotlover1176

Apr 7, 2014
Parrots
Senegal, Maximillian Pionus, 2 Cockatiels, Ruppell's
Welcome! I am new to the forum as well but have a 2 year old Sennie girl.

Senegals are known to be one person birds. Mine certainly is. I have heard that if you socialize them well when they are young they can get used to more than one person. Mine was not exposed to many people when she was young. However, if I am completely honest, I think that her being a one person bird makes our bond very strong.

As far as bathing, mine is scared of being sprayed but loves to bathe! As SoCalWendy mentioned, if she sees a bowl of water she can fit into she is in it! I think she is part fish.

I hope to see pictures soon!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Senegals are known to be one person birds. Mine certainly is. I have heard that if you socialize them well when they are young they can get used to more than one person. Mine was not exposed to many people when she was young. However, if I am completely honest, I think that her being a one person bird makes our bond very strong.

My Red Bellied was just like that too for so many years. He lived too sheltered a life lol. On another thread I said how in Robin's later teens, he met my husband and that was it. He is now a TWO person bird after that many years, and is still extremely strongly bonded to me. It is astonishing to think about. He always has, and will still attack anyone else I believe.

Most Reactions