sex? and age?

arizonakid

Oct 10, 2012
Ajijic, Jalisco, Mx
Parrots
2 beautiful green Quakers.......Tito & Tina
Keep in mind that these are 2 adopted Quakers that I have no information on at all. In fact, they are so much alike in appearance I can't tell one from the other as yet. I have requested DNA test cards so sex will be a known item before too long. Age, I don't have a clue on. I believe they are young birds. I am basing that belief on the actions of one bird in particular.
He/she will either hang onto the side of the cage or sit on a perch and vigoriously fan it's wings as though it was seeing how they work. This happens several times a day
Could I be right and this is a young bird just learning to fly?? Or, is there another plausable explanation for what seems like flying lessons.
Thanks for your help.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Once they're past the baby stage, it's somewhat difficult to judge the age of a Quaker parrot. Certain behaviors common in baby QPs, like head-bobbing, may continue in older parrots. The wing-flapping you describe could be flight practice-- but many older parrots do the same thing for exercise, or just because it feels good. :)

OP
arizonakid

arizonakid

Oct 10, 2012
Ajijic, Jalisco, Mx
Parrots
Thanks for your insight. Have you had any experience with the DNA tests. Does the DNA test include age and sex or just whether the bird is male or female??

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
DNA testing just has the sex (male or female) of the bird. like my quaker i recently got(like under 2 weeks) is a male. the store i got him from( only deals with parrots) does DNA sexing with a place in florida. they take a drop of blood or feather and mail it to them. then the company mails back the results. for me, this took just under a week(including the mailing process). most bird no matter what age flapp their wings like that. its what clipped parrots do for exercise instead of acually flying. they "learn to fly" when they FIRST get their feathers. for a quaker that is under 3 months usually. hope this helps!

OP
arizonakid

arizonakid

Oct 10, 2012
Ajijic, Jalisco, Mx
Parrots
Yes, thank you it does help. Bottom line, in all probability I will never know the age of the birds. I have requested DNA cards from the company in Florida but I am going to have to be very careful. Evidently, they are very strict about doing testing on birds outside of the US. They require all kind of paper work and the samples must go to the UK. I believe I can manage ok if I am resourceful. Only time will tell. The DNA results can be put on line so I really don't care if I have hard copy in hand or not. I'll keep the forum posted on how the process unfolds.
Thanks again, and squawking, is music to my ears.

Most Reactions

Latest posts