another newbie question

arizonakid

Oct 10, 2012
Ajijic, Jalisco, Mx
Parrots
2 beautiful green Quakers.......Tito & Tina
First of all I live in Mexico where very little is available at the corner store for raising parrots.
The lady in the next parish passed away and her kids did not want to be bothered with the two birds she had recently acquired. So, having a large cage on hand left by my 50 year old Greater Myna, God bless him, I said I would adapt the birds. I believe they are Quakers but I am not sure. I'll post a pic as soon as I can calm them down. The lady evidently didn't really interact with them at all. They act like a pair but I'll make sure with a DNA test later.
My question is: The slightly larger bird makes a noise like he thinks he is a guard dog. It sounds like a growl is the best way I can explain it. Normal?? Or, are they something other than Quakers. I have heard larger parrots make a similar noise. The noise doesn't bother me and I hope to have them finger trained in a few weeks.
Thanks for your help, I will certainly need it.

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
a gwoling kind of noise can be made by any parrot. not just big ones. it means the sam thing as if a dog would growl. i can tell you if they are quakers when u get a pic

OP
arizonakid

arizonakid

Oct 10, 2012
Ajijic, Jalisco, Mx
Parrots
This is the best I could do for a photo right now. I hope they are good enough to help you. Thanks

Attachments

• quakers 004.jpg
    quakers 004.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 169
  • quakers 008.jpg
    quakers 008.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 139

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
They are both green quaker parrots. I also have one named Sweetie Pie. Welcome to the forum:D

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
those are both quakers all right :D i just got mine almost a week ago. his name is cooper. welcome!

OP
arizonakid

arizonakid

Oct 10, 2012
Ajijic, Jalisco, Mx
Parrots
Thank you for your expertse. I have named them Tito and Tina, but right now I really cannot tell one from the other.

Larry

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
cute names eventually you will probably tell them apart by their personality and little quirks that each parrot has. Males and females look alike so if you want to know ytyou have to have them dna sexed. or you can guess in which case you have a 50/50 chance or if one lays an egg that will give you a hint.;):D

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Congratulations on adopting your two green Quakers! It sounds like Tito and Tina have a good home now. :)

Quaker parrots will sometimes growl if something upsets or annoys them.

Most Reactions