Shooting poop!

gulfstreamVI

Mar 3, 2014
Western North Carolina
Parrots
Crusso the Jenday Conure
Oh dear. Crusso has started shooting his poop against the wall and on the floor. I mean he seems to take aim and shoot it out. I think it's some kind of rebellion. I've been training him to step on my hand using Wheat Thins and a clicker. He's been doing very well at this. I notice yesterday he's gone off his pellets and just wants Wheat Thins all the time. I think the shooting poop thing is his way of protesting that he can't live on:11: Wheat Thins 24 hours a day. Any thoughts/advice?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hmm definitely would advice against wheat thins as a regular diet. Perhaps introduce him to other food groups: fruits, veggies, some animal protein, some grains, nuts and seeds ok in moderation (they need some fat in their diet). Try feeding him the stuff you want him to eat first thing in the morning or when he is ready for a meal. The not do good stuff can be fed later or on training sessions.

Sorry about the projectile poop. Never heard of conures doing that.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
i have the projectile poop issues with munch, she likes to shoot her poop outside of the cage like a lory.... lol she just wants to be anything but a lovebird i think...

but if after you change the diet and he still has the issue, try an acrylic sheet on the sides of his cage that he favours to shoot poop out of, and either a cloth blanket/tablecloth behind the cage protecting your wall, or a plastic tablecloth that you can wipe off and clean easily.

OP
G

gulfstreamVI

Mar 3, 2014
Western North Carolina
Parrots
Crusso the Jenday Conure
Yes. That's right. He spends most of his time hanging on the sides of the cage and shoots it outside. If he is sitting on the perch then it just drops down. Sorry to be graphic, but I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue! I'm going to get a plastic table cloth. It's just not much fun getting up in the morning to clean the walls and floor. What a mess! Thanks for your advice.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Is the pooping happening when he is inside the cage, or when he on top? If when on top, u could placing something on the cage top area he likes to poop from, like a toy, piece of safe wood, a big ropey toy, etc. see if it happens no matter where. DailyTsuka's acrylic suggestion works well. I use them because they r easier to clean than when poop gets all over the outside bars of the cage in Pritti's favorite poop corner up top outside cage. I punched holes and have them hanging with the toy holder links for easy on and off.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
Yes. That's right. He spends most of his time hanging on the sides of the cage and shoots it outside. If he is sitting on the perch then it just drops down. Sorry to be graphic, but I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue! I'm going to get a plastic table cloth. It's just not much fun getting up in the morning to clean the walls and floor. What a mess! Thanks for your advice.

yeah, munch likes to hang out on the side of her cage and thats how the poop shooting happens with me too lol also, a plastic tablecloth, even those nice sturdy clear ones under the cage in these situations is a good idea, forgot to mention that lol makes cleaning it up easier.

alcmene

Jan 16, 2014
Alabama
Parrots
sun conure- Lucy
cockatiel- Mr Peabody
My sun shoots poop. It's a disaster. She has a zillion fabulous perches in all different materials and sizes, but she likes to just cling to the cage bars and shoot poop out the side! Cheeky bird!

I bought a $10 piece of linoleum at Home Depot and put it under her cage. It sticks out about 3ft on all sides from her cage. Then clean up is easy, i just wipe it down

Most Reactions