Should I be worried?

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
Sooo... You guys probably see enough bird poop as it is, but since Oz is my first bird, I really don't know if his droppings are normal right now so I'd love to get the opinion of more experienced owners.

Here be the droppings I changed it Tuesday before going to bed and then this morning. This is what happened between tuesday and now. I also found him asleep on the bottom of the cage this morning, but when I went to bed he was on the perch and immediately climbed back up when I opened the lights.

poooooooooooop021-1.jpg
poooooooooooop024.jpg

That's where he slept on tuesday (on the perch)

poooooooooooop023.jpg

poooooooooooop022.jpg

Sorry about the poopy topic =S

Here, have a Oz. He's a lookin right into your soul.

poooooooooooop020.jpg

poooooooooooop013.jpg

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
Awww he is so cute. What does his diet consist of? Is he eating a lot of fruit?

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Is he puffed-up? Listless? Is he eating ok? What is his diet at present?

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
Right now, he only eats seeds and some pellets (trying to gradually increase that). Been trying to get him to eat fruits and vegies but no luck so far. I bought a kabob today hoping it might help.

As for puffed up, he's looked like this ever since I got him (he does go slim thought sometimes when he's interested in something)

p003.jpg

I wouldn't call him listless, he does preen himself a lot and likes napping, but he also jumps around his cage a bit when he's in it. He's started scaling down the sides to explore the table the cage is on yesterday.

Edit: As far as I've seen, he still sleeps with one foot in the air and his head in his back

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
That's the thing, he saw a vet specialized in exotic animals and birds just last week and a little dry skin to be fixed with a better diet is all he remarked. His weight was fine and he didn't remark on anything else.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
How long have you had Oz and is he kept near any drafts or chills that could warrant him being so puffy all the time? Being puffy is a sign of illness, so obviously it's best to check that out.

His poops look a bit too watery for my to say they're okay. Which usually means he's not eating enough. How old is he and are you sure he was weaned properly?

Did the poops start like that after the vet visit, or was he always like that?

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
I've had him for almost 2 weeks. I also find it's hard to tell if they were like that since the beginning since I recently started using paper. (I was using so wooden pellets they said was good at the petshop until the vet told me it was no good because I couldn't see the dropping) but for having been pooped on quite a few times, I'd say they were less watery and firmer before. He does seem less ravenous in his feeding than a few days ago thought.

He's currently 3 1/2 months old and I feel I should say that I tried putting some vitamins in his food for the first time yesterday:

Prime (concentrated vitamin mineral, amino acid supplement)

EDIT: A very fresh one (it looks different than all the others too =S I'm really starting to worry now)

001.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
I also just noticed that his rectum is constantly contracting, is this normal?

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin's butt does this a lot too, it's pretty normal. As long as he's not trying to squeeze out poop for a long period of time, I wouldn't panic about that.

HOWEVER; the poops don't look normal. I'd take samples (and your fid!) to the vet for another check up.

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
I might do that, thought I've been checking periodically (that he poop every time he's more than 2 feet away from the cage as it's uses I suppose) and the last 3 were perfectly normal, solid and coiled with a normal amount of white and almost no liquid. Still worried he's not eating as mush as usual thought.

I did hand feed him like an hour ago thought and he kept eating as long as my hand was there.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
I might do that, thought I've been checking periodically (that he poop every time he's more than 2 feet away from the cage as it's uses I suppose) and the last 3 were perfectly normal, solid and coiled with a normal amount of white and almost no liquid. Still worried he's not eating as mush as usual thought.

I did hand feed him like an hour ago thought and he kept eating as long as my hand was there.

Poops may have been funky because of stress and change then. Keep up the feeding, encourage it as much as you can. Kinda want to hear about this guy gorging himself silly with perfectly formed poops asap.

I'm still slightly anxious about his poofynes. It seems excessive to me but I'm not sure if you just caught him when sleepy, or if it's because he's so young.

He's definitely off his baby food though right? I just have this horrid gut feeling about him not being weaned properly or reverting back to needing it again and that's why he's poofy and not eating much blahblahblah.

Keep us updated on him anyway and if something else is worrying, get gone to the vets!

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
I've had him for almost 2 weeks. I also find it's hard to tell if they were like that since the beginning since I recently started using paper. (I was using so wooden pellets they said was good at the petshop until the vet told me it was no good because I couldn't see the dropping) but for having been pooped on quite a few times, I'd say they were less watery and firmer before. He does seem less ravenous in his feeding than a few days ago thought.

He's currently 3 1/2 months old and I feel I should say that I tried putting some vitamins in his food for the first time yesterday:

Prime (concentrated vitamin mineral, amino acid supplement)

If he is eating good food I wouldn't add the supplements. In fact if your not sure about his poop before i would take him off it and see if anything changes. If you feed soem pellets, that has the vitamins and minerals in them. Offer him veggies (green leafy, kale, spinich, brocolli, ect) in the am/pm before he eats anything else. Then after about an hr then give him his regular food throughout the day and of course fresh water. See if he firms up and the urine crystallizes. I use white paper towels. I'm with the other poster he may need to see a vet if nothing changes, but I wouldn't wait too long either, maybe within a day, if no change. Keep us posted. :)

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
Nah, he seems to eat okay today and definitely eats his heart out when it's outta my hand. I found him a little quiet yesterday, but today he chirps just as usual.

Also, could he have slept on the bottom of the cage the other day because he likes a flat surface? Last night he slept on this ALL night:

010.jpg

Also, here's pic of him destroying the cuttlebone. Shouldn't feel sleepy if he's destroying the thing right?
002.jpg

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
Ok, here's an update, his poop had been looking better, but now it's back to being not quite as firm (could this be due to the mixed diet of seed and pellets?

I came home from work to this:

bloodyhell045.jpg

What ALSO has me worried his that this shows that he stayed in the exact same spot for all the duration of my 3 hour shift. This happened yesterday as well when I went away for 2 hours. As soon as I got home and opened the cage, he went to his bowls to eat.

Now, As I've said before, I go to bed quite late and so does he. (I try to put him to bed earlier, but he just doesn't go to sleep until I do, preferring the occasional nap. Could he be catching up on sleep while I'm away? (hence the lack of movement)

Again, sorry about the pics. Specially if you were having lunch =P

bloodyhell004.jpg

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
He kinda pooped on himself during the night, I managed to remove the poopy part but there's some yellow coloring to his feathers that I don't understand since the poop I cleaned off wasn't yellow:

001-1.jpg

What should I do about this? How do I clean it? I've tried grabbing him with a towel so I could clean it off while I hold him still, but he hates it. Is the color a cause for concern?

Sorry if I seem to worry over nothing =S I just can't seem to get over this fear that I'm just gonna come home or wake up to find him dead someday =( I think that might be due to how, no matter what I did, I kept losing my fishes one after the other even thought I did everything I could to keep them healthy back when I tried to set up an aquarium.

Most Reactions

Latest posts