Should I get a bigger cage for my cockatiel?

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a male cockatiel named Kiko, who is around 5-6 months old and clipped. (He came clipped.)

I was just wondering something the other day:

So, we are moving in July and we have more space to get him a bigger cage. I was thinking a bigger cage will be great for him so I can fill it with a lot of perches and toys/entertainment for him. He is out of his cage for pretty much the whole day everyday until itā€™s bed time, but I think a bigger cage will still be better for him.

Is a bigger cage safe for him though? I know that it doesnā€™t matter what size your bird is they all deserve big flight cages but I saw a video online, where this girl who had a clipped cockatiel in a flight cage die because the bird fell from the top on the ground and banged itā€™s head. Kiko is also clipped.

Considering the fact that he gets a lot of exercise and outdoor time everyday, should I just wait till he molts and gets his flight feathers? We werenā€™t really considering clipping him again. (Al though we are all very afraid heā€™s gona hurt himself while learning to fly or fly away :()

As for toys and entertainment, can someone suggest some good toys that I can make myself or buy for him, that he can play with OUTSIDE the cage :)?

Thanks šŸ˜Š

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
So, we are moving in July and we have more space to get him a bigger cage. I was thinking a bigger cage will be great for him so I can fill it with a lot of perches and toys/entertainment for him. He is out of his cage for pretty much the whole day everyday until itā€™s bed time, but I think a bigger cage will still be better for him.

Is a bigger cage safe for him though? I know that it doesnā€™t matter what size your bird is they all deserve big flight cages but I saw a video online, where this girl who had a clipped cockatiel in a flight cage die because the bird fell from the top on the ground and banged itā€™s head. Kiko is also clipped.
Can you send a link to the cage please? And can you send a pic of the old cage? Don't worry, I won't be judgemental if it's too small :)
Considering the fact that he gets a lot of exercise and outdoor time everyday, should I just wait till he molts and gets his flight feathers? We werenā€™t really considering clipping him again. (Al though we are all very afraid heā€™s gona hurt himself while learning to fly or fly away :()
If possible, I don't recommend clipping, because of its downsides. You can do recall training and/or give him a bird-proof room :)
As for toys and entertainment, can someone suggest some good toys that I can make myself or buy for him, that he can play with OUTSIDE the cage :)?
You're in Canada, right? I've heard of a place called Feathered Addictions and they sell really good stuff! You can make DIYs out of finger traps(if they're available in your area, I can't find them in SA), cupcake liners(make sure he doesn't eat it), straws(preferably paper), vine balls, etc., or even bird safe flowers/branches for enrichment :)
For some birds you can use foam but only if they don't eat it, it's best as an outside-of-the-cage toy.

Just avoid cotton, paints, glue, and bells(I can't think of anything else right now)

Good luck!

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Can you send a link to the cage please? And can you send a pic of the old cage? Don't worry, I won't be judgemental if it's too small :)

If possible, I don't recommend clipping, because of its downsides. You can do recall training and/or give him a bird-proof room :)

You're in Canada, right? I've heard of a place called Feathered Addictions and they sell really good stuff! You can make DIYs out of finger traps(if they're available in your area, I can't find them in SA), cupcake liners(make sure he doesn't eat it), straws(preferably paper), vine balls, etc., or even bird safe flowers/branches for enrichment :)
For some birds you can use foam but only if they don't eat it, it's best as an outside-of-the-cage toy.

Just avoid cotton, paints, glue, and bells(I can't think of anything else right now)

Good luck!
I donā€™t have a pic of his current cage on me atm because Iā€™m not home, and I donā€™t have a new cage or have found one yet either. (Iā€™ll try to attach a pic of the current cage soon.) but I do know that his current cage isnā€™t a flight cage which he needs. I can easily get a flight cage for him in like one month but I donā€™t know if I should until he gets his flight feathers because I donā€™t want him getting hurt inside it! Also ty for the toy suggestions :)

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Agree that bigger the better. just make sure bar spacing and width is adequate for a cockatiel.

As for the clipping issue, if a clip is done properly the bird should still be able to safely flutter to the ground. If it is done improperly, that can cause damage. Can you show us a picture of your bird's wings (would need both sides) or have you seen him try to fly? does he fall like a rock or is he able to land safely?

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Agree that bigger the better. just make sure bar spacing and width is adequate for a cockatiel.

As for the clipping issue, if a clip is done properly the bird should still be able to safely flutter to the ground. If it is done improperly, that can cause damage. Can you show us a picture of your bird's wings (would need both sides) or have you seen him try to fly? does he fall like a rock or is he able to land safely?
He canā€™t fly rlly far but he always lands safely. Heā€™s not comfortable enough with me opening his wing to show, but our vet told us that they were clipped poorly.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
He canā€™t fly rlly far but he always lands safely. Heā€™s not comfortable enough with me opening his wing to show, but our vet told us that they were clipped poorly.
if he cant fly far but still lands safely he will be okay

PamnJay

Mar 31, 2022
ST. Croix, Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
Ozzy the 6 year old male Eclectus and Taz the 2 year old male White-faced Cockatoo
Our Cockatiel Taz was clipped when we got him. And clipped correctly and he tried to fly and fluttered to the ground and went "squeak" every time. He actually broke all of his tail feathers over the first little while but he was fine. We bought him a tall finch type cage ( 4 ft inside ) and he was fine in there but as his flight feathers grew back we got him a bigger cage. Maybe wait for a bit until your bird is a bit older and has his flight feathers We got a 'Critter Nation" double sized cage. He is very happy in there, it is really easy to clean and there is lots of room for perches and toys. One thing about our Taz and I doubt he is the only one, but he is sometimes resistant to going into his cage at night or if we have to out in the day time. He flies away and acts like a real dick so it might be better to ensure your bird gets lots of cage time as well as out time. It gets harder the older the bird gets and again, that is our bird and they are not all the same.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Our Cockatiel Taz was clipped when we got him. And clipped correctly and he tried to fly and fluttered to the ground and went "squeak" every time. He actually broke all of his tail feathers over the first little while but he was fine. We bought him a tall finch type cage ( 4 ft inside ) and he was fine in there but as his flight feathers grew back we got him a bigger cage. Maybe wait for a bit until your bird is a bit older and has his flight feathers We got a 'Critter Nation" double sized cage. He is very happy in there, it is really easy to clean and there is lots of room for perches and toys. One thing about our Taz and I doubt he is the only one, but he is sometimes resistant to going into his cage at night or if we have to out in the day time. He flies away and acts like a real dick so it might be better to ensure your bird gets lots of cage time as well as out time. It gets harder the older the bird gets and again, that is our bird and they are not all the same.
Kiko also broke off all of his tail feathers, and idk if itā€™s from HIM breaking them or the landings (sometimes when we make him flap his wings on our fingers he doesnā€™t land well and kinda just falls on his butt/tail.)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Can you measure Kikoā€™s cage with a ruler or tape measure and say length x width x height in inches or centimeters?

My Lucy couldnā€™t fly at all and I got her a really big cage once. She simply didnā€™t use most of it and I ended up giving it away on freecycle. I think your Kiko should just climb where her wants to go if he canā€™t fly BUT he should be able to flutter with a clip.

I think Kiko has ā€œbaby tailā€ which is pretty common in young birds.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
As stated above a correctly clipped bird can still helicopter down from any height. I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest in getting a bigger cage. Be warry of the open top cages and any cozy hammocks.

Most Reactions

Latest posts