Should I try to adopt a swearing feather plucking Amazon?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You appear to be doing fairly well with interacting with the Forum, just keep working at it and you will continue to pick-up the needed bits.

Respect the Amazon and bribery goes a very long way to endearing any Amazon.

The Humans 'Must Read' the 'Understanding Amazon Body Language' Thread!!! Its that important... Amazons full assume that the Human fully understand their Body Language! What is provided in that Thread is the 'Basic Hardwired Body Language.' Adult Amazons will add to the basics and many will have their own twists added in... But the important early on and day in and day out is the Basic Hardwired stuff.

The process: Each Human gets to sit next to the Amazon's cage and read aloud in a comforting voice to the Amazon... This allows the Amazon develop a comfort in that Human and the Human gets to learn the Basic Body Language. Most people tend to read it once and maybe twice and call it good. Works right to the point that someone sneaks up on the Amazon and surprise, the Amazon displays and the Human doesn't remember, someone gets bit and the Amazon is a fault...

A quick warning: Amazon are prone to Fatty Liver, which is commonly sourced to a Diet rich in Protein (specifically: Sunflower Seed and Peanuts) Greatly limit or totally remove from their Diet and it will not become a problem.

Small Birds, Big Birds. There is no question that an Amazon can inflict great damage upon smaller Parrots. Normally, its an issue of you keeping them separate until you can judge who plays well together and who doesn't. There are several members who have both Small Parrots and Big Parrots, I will let them explain their experiences.

OP
Stacey254

Stacey254

Jul 4, 2018
Maine
Parrots
Cinnamon GCC ,Yellow sided GCC, and a Budgie
Hey Everybody, I have her!!!! Doing good so far. What is the best possible food I can get for her? Is it Higgins?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Target a pellet with:
- No Color added!
- Little to no sugar!
- Little to no salt!
- low on protein!

That should bring you down to three to four options. Remember that not every brand is available everywhere.

Please reference the Diet provided in the: I Love Amazons - ... Thread.

Congratulations!

Remember that Amazon's Rule! :D

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hey Everybody, I have her!!!! Doing good so far. What is the best possible food I can get for her? Is it Higgins?
Congratulations!!!

Everyone has their preferences on foods. Lots of fresh stuff, and for the "dry bowl" I like the Higgins california blend- it doesn't have any peanuts or sunflower seeds. Short term, it depends on what she will eat.

Don't forget, we love pictures :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Stacey254

Stacey254

Jul 4, 2018
Maine
Parrots
Thank you Sailboat and Saxguy64. I have to try to print out the whole, ā€œWhy I love Amazons guideā€ And keep on hand.
Everything good so far. Poor thing has been fed nothing but seed and junk. Sheā€™s missing a couple of toes and feathers, but she warmed right up to me and my husband and sheā€™s already calling my dog, lol. The chicken bribe worked :) And her poor cage was disgusting!!!! Thatā€™s all fixed now though.

Thanks again. Iā€™ll be sure to post photos tomorrow and give an update

Thank you so much for all your guidance. Iā€™ll post pictures tomorrow:) Iā€™m just so tickled pick we have her.

shinyuankuo

May 9, 2019
State College, PA
Parrots
Winston å±ę’š, the Eclectus. å±ę’š (pi-nian) came from Pinion (Psalms 64, meaning flight feather, typifying God's soaring power.)
Thatā€™s sooo good to hear! My bird is a rehome, too, though he came from a loving family. Your first battle is to switch her diet to a healthier choice. Be strong in your position but be flexible to her preference. It might also be worthwhile to see which seed/nut is the favorite. Reserve that for training only.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I'm so excited for you and your new little girl. All of my birds have been rescues as well. They deserve the best we can give them in a forever home.

Keep in mind, there may be a "honeymoon period," and things may change, but I have a suspicion she already knows she's loved and cared for now. That will work wonders for her. They're so smart, and they just know. Now the journey begins :) Looking forward to hearing about it as it unfolds. Welcome to the world of Amazons!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Congratulations Stacey and your beautiful new girl!

A very wise man (it may have been Scott!) once said that the very best pellet to feed is the one theyā€™ll actually eat. If she doesnā€™t like brand A, try brand B, then C and so on and on.

Iā€™ve not been able to find your girlā€™s name in the previous posts but may just be my ageing eyes. Wishing you a long and happy life together :)

OP
Stacey254

Stacey254

Jul 4, 2018
Maine
Parrots
I'm so excited for you and your new little girl. All of my birds have been rescues as well. They deserve the best we can give them in a forever home.

Keep in mind, there may be a "honeymoon period," and things may change, but I have a suspicion she already knows she's loved and cared for now. That will work wonders for her. They're so smart, and they just know. Now the journey begins :) Looking forward to hearing about it as it unfolds. Welcome to the world of Amazons!

Hi Saxguy64,
Talking about a Honeymoon period, what does that look like? This poor, neglected soul barely makes a peep. No morning or Evening sound off, basically mumbles quietly when she does talk ,which is not often. I don't believe she is ill, but maybe depressed. I'd like her to trust me a bit more before I take her to the Vet to get examined.

OP
Stacey254

Stacey254

Jul 4, 2018
Maine
Parrots
Congratulations Stacey and your beautiful new girl!

A very wise man (it may have been Scott!) once said that the very best pellet to feed is the one theyā€™ll actually eat. If she doesnā€™t like brand A, try brand B, then C and so on and on.

Iā€™ve not been able to find your girlā€™s name in the previous posts but may just be my ageing eyes. Wishing you a long and happy life together :)

Hi LaManuka,
Thank you so much. Trying to get her to eat healthy is a challenge for sure. Making small steps. Ended up buying Junk Parrot food to mix small amounts with healthy Harrison's. Still waiting on another brand that I ordered to mix in as well. I can hand feed Luchia small amounts of fresh veggies, so she's starting to slowly trust me :07: I'm going to work in the daily chop. Cross your fingers. She's such a Sweetheart. I'm so happy we found her.

OP
Stacey254

Stacey254

Jul 4, 2018
Maine
Parrots
Thatā€™s sooo good to hear! My bird is a rehome, too, though he came from a loving family. Your first battle is to switch her diet to a healthier choice. Be strong in your position but be flexible to her preference. It might also be worthwhile to see which seed/nut is the favorite. Reserve that for training only.

That's a great idea!!! Thank you Shinyuankuo.

OP
Stacey254

Stacey254

Jul 4, 2018
Maine
Parrots
You appear to be doing fairly well with interacting with the Forum, just keep working at it and you will continue to pick-up the needed bits.

Respect the Amazon and bribery goes a very long way to endearing any Amazon.

The Humans 'Must Read' the 'Understanding Amazon Body Language' Thread!!! Its that important... Amazons full assume that the Human fully understand their Body Language! What is provided in that Thread is the 'Basic Hardwired Body Language.' Adult Amazons will add to the basics and many will have their own twists added in... But the important early on and day in and day out is the Basic Hardwired stuff.

The process: Each Human gets to sit next to the Amazon's cage and read aloud in a comforting voice to the Amazon... This allows the Amazon develop a comfort in that Human and the Human gets to learn the Basic Body Language. Most people tend to read it once and maybe twice and call it good. Works right to the point that someone sneaks up on the Amazon and surprise, the Amazon displays and the Human doesn't remember, someone gets bit and the Amazon is a fault...

A quick warning: Amazon are prone to Fatty Liver, which is commonly sourced to a Diet rich in Protein (specifically: Sunflower Seed and Peanuts) Greatly limit or totally remove from their Diet and it will not become a problem.

Small Birds, Big Birds. There is no question that an Amazon can inflict great damage upon smaller Parrots. Normally, its an issue of you keeping them separate until you can judge who plays well together and who doesn't. There are several members who have both Small Parrots and Big Parrots, I will let them explain their experiences.

Hi Sailboat,
Yeah, I'm pretty worried about the horrible diet she's had. This poor Amazon is in sad shape. I think she's been not only neglected but also abused by being mishandled and poked at. Luchia has been so sweet toward me, making no signs of aggression. Gently telling me if I pushing her beyond her comfort zone. Yesterday she allowed me to scratch her head a couple of times through the cage.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hi Stacey,

The honeymoon thing... Some folks have a period at the beginning with a new bird where everything is sweet and wonderful before the bird feels comfortable enough to start testing the boundaries. Things then get more difficult while they figure stuff out, like where exactly they fit in the flock. I've been lucky with mine. I got to know them pretty well before they came home with me, so never had an issue. Honestly, given her previous situation, and her starting point with you, I don't think you'll experience any of the backsliding. Everything with you is new to her, so it's scary right now, however, everything is BETTER with you. Her life, good or bad, has been turned upside down. Think of her like a toddler being pulled from her home, however awful it might have been, it's the world as she knows it. Now she gets to see the world can be a good place, but it takes time to accept that idea. Just move at her pace. Once she has reason to trust you, you'll likely see a remarkable difference. Amazons really are amazing!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, kudos for considering a bird in need of a better home!

Plucking is one of the most vexing of behaviors. Complex, can arise from illness, neuroses, and for reasons unknown. Please consider this informative thread: http://www.parrotforums.com/behavioral/52217-plucking-search-answers.html

You may have to experiment to find an acceptable pellet. Harrison's conversion protocol ought work for any brand. Successfully transitioned my flock of 8 in about 2 weeks! https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/large-bird-conversion/

Some great tips here: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html
My technique is to prepare 2 bowls of fresh veggies/fruits aka "chop." One for you, one for the bird. Begin to eat, demonstrating joy by bobbing head, making "mmmmm" sounds, etc. Parrots are flock eaters and you are one of the flock!

Good luck, we're here for support!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very happy to hear that she is in her forever home!
May the Wonderful World of Amazons continual to open-up in front of you!
Congratulations!

Most Reactions

Latest posts