Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
In another thread I was asked to talk about our birds, and I don't know why I haven't used this forum to do so. There are bits and pieces about them in other threads, but they all do deserve their own thread. Thank you to those that asked, I appreciate it:)

Slater is our OWA, and he came to us in a round about way.
It was 8 years ago, and my daughter was going to yard sales. She called me and asked if I wanted and could take in another bird. These people were selling a parrot at a yard sale. Britty sent me a picture, and Slater was living in a cage not even big enough for budgies. I told her to get some history, and they said that they have a cabin and stay there in the summer, but left Slater home and stopped in to feed him 2 or 3 times a week. He was $100 and I said absolutely, buy him now. She laughed and said she already bought him.
He was 7 years old, they had had him since he was a baby. His name was A**hole. We renamed him Slater.
We picked him up at Britty's and a good friend brought me over a big cage for him that she had extra.

He settled in pretty well, although he was afraid of both Reg & I for awhile. He then bonded with Reg, and it was at least 3 years that Slater would scream anytime I was in the room giving time out of cage for everyone. I really thought I was going to lose my mind, and ended up wearing ear plugs.

I decided that I was going to get through to him, and started talking quietly to him, telling him what a good boy he was the whole time he was screaming.
All of a sudden one day, the screaming stopped. No more shouting his old name at me. This was 3 - 4 years after we got him.
The funny thing is that he does still use his old name to me, but he croons it so I think it is a form of endearment:) That is what I am going to believe anyway...lol.

He is best friends with Talli, my BHP, even though Talli can have a short fuse.

I love this boy so much, and I'm sure part of it is how long it took for us to make friends.

1646875924467.jpeg

1646876034907.jpeg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank you Thank Thank you for this rescue and all your rescues!

This kind of situation happens way to much.....and the people mostly never even think they are doing anything wrong.....I met one only a grey an elderly couple...hadn't left its tiny cage in 25 years ...

Anyway, congratulations on cracking his heart. Too funny what he croons to you. So glad you shared . Can't wait for more.

Pray stories like that's inspire both people to adapt, and those that need to let go and rehome.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you Thank Thank you for this rescue and all your rescues!

This kind of situation happens way to much.....and the people mostly never even think they are doing anything wrong.....I met one only a grey an elderly couple...hadn't left its tiny cage in 25 years ...

Anyway, congratulations on cracking his heart. Too funny what he croons to you. So glad you shared . Can't wait for more.

Pray stories like that's inspire both people to adapt, and those that need to let go and rehome.
Laura, thank you so much for this, it touched my heart. Rescues are so special, and while I would love to have a baby bird, my life turned in a different direction.
I am so thankful for that.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
A yard sale! I just can’t imagine (nor do I want to) the life he had before you. Bless you, Terry.
Thank you, Beak. I believe Slater had a good life until the owner met her new man. The leaving him alone had gone on for 2 summers before they decided to get rid of him.
I'm just so happy that Britty decided to go to some yard sales that day and knew I was going to take him as soon as she saw him.

D

Deleted member 42416

Laura, thank you so much for this, it touched my heart. Rescues are so special, and while I would love to have a baby bird, my life turned in a different direction.
I am so thankful for that.
The trouble with a kitten is THAT,
Eventually it becomes a CAT.

— Ogden Nash

I love my babies, but this is such a temporary phase…and then puberty! The long, deeper bonds, no matter how or when they come are what really matter. ☺️

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
In another thread I was asked to talk about our birds, and I don't know why I haven't used this forum to do so. There are bits and pieces about them in other threads, but they all do deserve their own thread. Thank you to those that asked, I appreciate it:)

It was 8 years ago, and my daughter was going to yard sales. She called me and asked if I wanted and could take in another bird. These people were selling a parrot at a yard sale. Britty sent me a picture, and Slater was living in a cage not even big enough for budgies. I told her to get some history, and they said that they have a cabin and stay there in the summer, but left Slater home and stopped in to feed him 2 or 3 times a week. He was $100 and I said absolutely, buy him now. She laughed and said she already bought him.
He was 7 years old, they had had him since he was a baby. His name was A**hole. We renamed him Slater.
We picked him up at Britty's and a good friend brought me over a big cage for him that she had extra.

He settled in pretty well, although he was afraid of both Reg & I for awhile. He then bonded with Reg, and it was at least 3 years that Slater would scream anytime I was in the room giving time out of cage for everyone. I really thought I was going to lose my mind, and ended up wearing ear plugs.

I decided that I was going to get through to him, and started talking quietly to him, telling him what a good boy he was the whole time he was screaming.
All of a sudden one day, the screaming stopped. No more shouting his old name at me. This was 3 - 4 years after we got him.
The funny thing is that he does still use his old name to me, but he croons it so I think it is a form of endearment:) That is what I am going to believe anyway...lol.

I love this boy so much, and I'm sure part of it is how long it took for us to make friends.

View attachment 36764

View attachment 36765

And they called him "A**hole"? That in itself is heartbreaking. Thank God Britty found him when she did, otherwise he may not even be alive today, much less be living the blessed and cherished life that he lives with you today! I'm so glad that Slater has you and Reg, and Talli too, and that he is so happy and so loved ❤️

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
And they called him "A**hole"? That in itself is heartbreaking. Thank God Britty found him when she did, otherwise he may not even be alive today, much less be living the blessed and cherished life that he lives with you today! I'm so glad that Slater has you and Reg, and Talli too, and that he is so happy and so loved ❤️
I am so glad he ended up with us too, thank you Mart:)
Britty is just like me, and I am so glad it was her who stumbled across him that day.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

View attachment 36764

View attachment 36765
I can't believe that while on vacay. they feed him only 2-3 times a week?? And living in one of those "budgie cages"?? I can't believe they named him A-hole!

I'm so glad he ended up with you, and not someone irresponsible(especially since he costed only $100! Way too little for a parrot to end up in a good home).

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I can't believe that while on vacay. they feed him only 2-3 times a week?? And living in one of those "budgie cages"?? I can't believe they named him A-hole!

I'm so glad he ended up with you, and not someone irresponsible(especially since he costed only $100! Way too little for a parrot to end up in a good home).
That was my daughter's thought too. She saw other people looking at him and sticking fingers in his cage which terrified him and she immediately bought him.
Sadly, Slater's story isn't even the worst of our birds, and there are so many birds like him and my others still out there. I can't think about that for very long because it hurts too much that I can't take in another one.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Terry, I hope you continue Slaters story! Keeping a record or journal of your parrot's life thread is so rewarding - I go back and re-read Salty's all the time! I am really happy for Slater, he lucked out in his life. Sad beginning, then happy. But honestly, I would give good money to see a video of him crooning his old name to you!!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Terry, I hope you continue Slaters story! Keeping a record or journal of your parrot's life thread is so rewarding - I go back and re-read Salty's all the time! I am really happy for Slater, he lucked out in his life. Sad beginning, then happy. But honestly, I would give good money to see a video of him crooning his old name to you!!
I am going to do that, Al. I think all birds stories need to be told, and you're right, what wonderful memories it will bring back when rereading. Thank you for mentioning it. So many little things that our birds do we forget about unless it is written down.
I'm going to start a new thread for each one every couple of days:)

I can try to get him crooning that to me, we will have to be sneaky...haha

D

Deleted member 42416

I am going to do that, Al. I think all birds stories need to be told, and you're right, what wonderful memories it will bring back when rereading. Thank you for mentioning it. So many little things that our birds do we forget about unless it is written down.
I'm going to start a new thread for each one every couple of days:)

I can try to get him crooning that to me, we will have to be sneaky...haha
Looking forward to it!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I'm very much looking forward to your stories! Your experience and encouragement has already been so helpful to my own journey and I am thrilled at the idea of getting to read more of yours!

Slater sure is a handsome fellow 😍

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I'm very much looking forward to your stories! Your experience and encouragement has already been so helpful to my own journey and I am thrilled at the idea of getting to read more of yours!

Slater sure is a handsome fellow 😍
Thank you so much for your kind words, that means a lot to me.
Slater is definitely a handsome boy, and he knows it! If he has a feather out of place he will mutter angrily to himself until he gets it straightened out..lol

I am so excited about watching your journey with Cotton as well. I can't wait until he is finally home with you and the journey continues:)

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Awww, Slater is so handsome! What is it with OWA getting the short shrift?! The people we got Kirby from sold him to us with his cage for $200 :oops: It was filthy but thankfully the guy stepped up and pressure washed it before sending it home with us - his ex had gotten the birds and then when she left him, she left the birds too! (There was a BFA, too, but it was gone by the time we got Kirby)

Anyway, I’m biased but I think Orange Wings are totally the best. Thanks for sharing your story and I can’t wait to hear more about him!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I agree, OWAs are awesome birds. From our experience, when people here decide to get rid of their Amazon, they seem to just want them gone. Our YCA (Dexter) was $300 with cage, and our RLA (Ki) was $200, as was his mate, our precious, old DYH Cally who passed away.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I agree, OWAs are awesome birds. From our experience, when people here decide to get rid of their Amazon, they seem to just want them gone. Our YCA (Dexter) was $300 with cage, and our RLA (Ki) was $200, as was his mate, our precious, old DYH Cally who passed away.
My Jasper was completely free...
Anyone rehoming 'zons is always desperate to get rid of them. It's just a thing for some reason.

Most Reactions

Latest posts