Sleep cycle/puberty?

Bioengparront

Mar 17, 2020
Palermo, Italy
Parrots
Cookie, GCC
Hi everyone, my GCC Cookie and I are really hitting it off! He's been with us for a little over two months now and I think we are bonding pretty well, despite the weaning scare (for those who did not follow us, he was sold to me as "partially weaned", meaning he should have been fine with formula once a day until refusal on his part but otherwise eating independently, reality was he actually needed formula thrice a day at the beginning). However, I'm still learning more and more about how to best care for him, and the first vet check shed light on a lot of things. I know that a lot of parronts have problems with their pets during puberty, which should be pretty far as Cookie is not yet 5 months old, but I want to prepare as best as I can and possibly avoid any problem as much as possible. I read that sleep cycle is always important and even fundamental at that stage, so I'd like to establish a steady rithm from the start. What's the best solution for a GCC? I try to make him sleep a minimum of 10 hours, but I admit I never developed a real schedule; if for some reason he stays up late I just let him sleep more in the morning. Should I follow the dusk/down cycle or establish a fixated schedule year-around like 9 P.M.-8A.M.? What's the schedule that helps best with hormonal behaviour? And how did you avoid/deal with it?

Thanks in advance! Cookie says hi :D

Attachments

• photo_2020-05-24 21.14.56.jpg
    photo_2020-05-24 21.14.56.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 100

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Hello! I would have a set bed time and a minimum amount of sleep, but I don't have a strict wake up time for my Alexandrine. I put him to bed at 9 and cover him at 9.30 throughout the year. Days getting longer and nights getting later in spring triggers hormonal behaviour so keeping to a natural light cycle will trigger this, which you want to avoid as you know.

Most Reactions

Latest posts